S4 Knocking/Clanging sound

rottenbend

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the following. There are similar posts on the forum but nothing specific.

My S4 has developed a strange knocking/banging sound emanating from what sounds like the drivers side wheel arch.

It only happens at low speed when crawling through traffic for example. It is random in frequency and doesn't seem to have anything to do with bumps or steering wheel angle. It can be loud enough for pedestrians to turn and stare on occasion ooo.gif. It sounds like a dull metallic clang as if something is loose and is knocking against metal.

The car seems to drive fine but it is certainly disconcerting.

Have had the car up on its jack but can't see anything obvious.

The car is in to the stealers on Thursday to fix a slight coolant leak under warranty. Will mention it to them then but sometimes they seem to need a bit of "guidance".

Any ideas? Many thanks

Oh no, not another 'coolant leak'! EEK2.GIF

I hope yours is only replacement hoses and not a radiator like mine, Tizzy's and possibly AndyMM's.

As for your original post query, I haven't experienced this and can only think a damaged or loose suspension linkage could be the issue

[ QUOTE ]

Oh no, not another 'coolant leak'! EEK2.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

I also had the 'coolant leak' they had to replace the radiators on the S4

They also had to pay to get my side drive and both inside and outside my garages cleaned as the car had left spots all over the place. The cost of the cleaning came to just over £4000 To be fair to Audi they payed the money couple of days after they had a guy come out and check what had to be done.

As I had sold the house I forgot to get the work done UHOH7.GIF

Thanks P_G_

These coolant leaks are becoming popular! What's the betting the dealer says they've never seen one on an S4 before.

As for the noise, I too thought suspension but it happens on smooth roads at very low speed as I'm on and off the throttle in traffic which makes me wonder if it's something else like something loose in the engine bay which is moving around. Or perhaps drivetrain related

My dealer claimed that they'd never seen the S4 coolant leak before either (I probably believe them as they only look after a few S4's) Does look as though this is becomming a common problem though, so I'd suggest that those of you who haven't yet had it happen, keep a close eye on your coolant reservoir. My low coolant warning only came on when the reservoir was almost empty.

As for the knocking noise, could it be a wheel bearing or a driveshaft?

Interesting...mine's going in for a coolant leak on Thursday. I am about a month out of warranty although Audi Assist still came out to have a look. Apparently the small radiators are on back order with Audi UK so they are obviously getting through them.

My car has been checked at about year one then year two for coolant leaks due to a dropping coolant level although only now is there a visual drip at the front passenger side of the bumper. Should I pursue a warranty claim?

Car is in at the dealers today to fix the coolant leak. The upshot is that ... the auxilary radiators have corroded and need to be replaced (under Audi warranty which runs out on Monday wink.gif. I'd advise anyone who hasn't done so to get theirs checked over - especially if the cars coming up to the end of its warranty.

Also apparently the noise is due to a problem with one of the front suspension arms. I'll know more when I pick it up tomorrow but this also seems to be a common fault.

[ QUOTE ]

Car is in at the dealers today to fix the coolant leak. The upshot is that ... the auxilary radiators have corroded and need to be replaced (under Audi warranty which runs out on Monday wink.gif. I'd advise anyone who hasn't done so to get theirs checked over - especially if the cars coming up to the end of its warranty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this completely. Same with me - had them both replaced at the end of the warranty...and it seems very common.

Yes I should have posted yesterday. I had to go back to Audi on Friday as my coolant level had dropped again... however the technician said it was because ther will be air in the system from the replacement auxiliary radiator and once it has equilabrated to top it up.

WE had a chat and he wanyted to replace both auxiliaries but is only allowed to replce the corroded one, so next year I'll probabyl be back to have the other one done.

Anywayu the downside is that the radiators are now on back order for 10 units and until this volume of orders comes through they ain't sending them individually to the UK as it costs too much.

Therefore if anyone else have a B6 S4 and hasn't had their auxiliary radiators checked, do so and if you have the same problem you will all get your rads quicker.

The reason behind the corrosion is that in the B7 model and smaller engined models theres is a duct to take away all the leaves and garbage that gets blown / sucked into the vents where these radiators are fitted. However there was not enough space to do so at the time of design so all that mulch builds up and eventually corrodes your radiator.

Next year there is likely to be a recall for all B6's for this problem and a ducting system fitted to allow the muck to exit as well as rads if necessary.

In the meantime I'm using my pressure washer to clean out the vents as often as I was it.

My car was completed today. They only had it since Thursday. Apparently they sourced the radiator from another dealer in the network - there's a few of them out there still! They also found me an A4 1.9Tdi avant for the 5 days.

Audi are paying about a third (approx £130 - why a third?) because the car is about 4 weeks out of warranty - I'm going to try Audi Customer Services for more as in it's last service I got them to check for coolant leaks as the level had dropped. Amersham Audi seem to know nothing about this recall next year.

Peter,

Glad your car got sorted fairly quickly.

My car's at the same dealer and it was booked in on the same day as yours but I'm still waiting for a radiator SAUER0421.GIF and a replacement Audi mad.gif (the Vectra isn't quite as bad as Jeremy Clackson makes out but still...) I'm going to give them a call to see what they can do for me.

Peter - I'd really give them some sh*t about only offering to pay a third. There's enough evidence just from this thread to prove that this is a genuine problem affecting B6 S4's and I'm sure we'd all be willing to put our names & car details down to help you prove this. Get onto Audi customer service and if they don't play threaten to write to the motoring press advising them of Audi's problems with the S4.