Audi DVD sat nav plus - better than a TomTom?

Hi

I currently use a TomTom 500 and I am very happy with the features. However I would prefer a more integrated solution.

I am about to trade my A4 in for a new one. Is the DVD sat nav worth the cash?

Does anyone know how the features compare?

i.e. can you do a full post code search and add favorites

I know it doesn't do full 6 character post code search ala Tom Tom, pretty sure it does favourites though.

Personally, I have only ever considered the RNS-E as a retrofit option. I could not justify the retail price of the unit. From my limited experience of it, I actually found my old Tom Tom Go to be quicker, more accurate and more versatile than the RNS-E. But the RNS-E looks great and is obviously wonderfully integrated.

I have the RNS-E in my RS6 and use a TomTom 700 in my MR2.

I much prefer the RNS-E in use but there are a few benefits of the TT. Firstly, yes, the TT does full postcode searches, the RNS-E will only search up to the digit in the second group - ie AB1 2xx, from which point you have to select the street name. The TT allows you to plan your route whilst away from the car.

The RNS-E does allow you to store your personal list of destinations.

Last week, when we had visitors from Lithuania, I was sitting up front with the coach drivers, giving them directions. They spoke no English, but one did have a little bit of German, so it was mainly done with hand gestures. I was taught the Lithuanian for 'right'. When I asked the word for left, I was told that it was 'not right'!

Anyway, I then set up the TT for them and they were able to follow the on-screen indications. It was some while later that I decided to check the list of available languages in the TT and found that it knew Lithuanian! After I set that up I was able to leave the drivers with the TT for guidance, and get on with chatting to my friends.

It's a shame that I couldn't find a way of telling the TT that we were in a large vehicle - it obviously assumes that you're in a car, and the drivers followed its instructions blindly, down some rather narrow country roads! But it worked, and they were impressed.

I have found the RNS-E to be very accurate, and far better the than the pioneer unit I had installed on my old A4. The main plus side to the RNS-E is that no one will smash your windows looking for your TT device if they see the cradle or suction marks on the window.

[ QUOTE ]

The main plus side to the RNS-E is that no one will smash your windows looking for your TT device if they see the cradle or suction marks on the window.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they'll just smash your window, hoik the RNS-E out and stick that on Ebay instead... smashfreakB.gifcoffee.gif

[ QUOTE ]

No, they'll just smash your window, hoik the RNS-E out and stick that on Ebay instead... smashfreakB.gifcoffee.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My be, but without the pin code the device will not work, but i'm not sure if the code could be bypassed confused.gif I know when I first looked at the coding on my RNS-E it was setup for an A4 cab.

HI, I use TT 700 with a docking kit so it mutes the stereo etc when directions are given. It is no mounted just left of the stereo too no wires showing freeing up the cig ligheter etc. Works superb and although does not look as neat as the RNS-e it has never let me down and her indoors likes to pinch it too!

HTH, the docking kits are pretty easy to fit and not too pricey.

Paul

[ QUOTE ]

HI, I use TT 700 with a docking kit so it mutes the stereo etc when directions are given. It is no mounted just left of the stereo too no wires showing freeing up the cig ligheter etc. Works superb and although does not look as neat as the RNS-e it has never let me down and her indoors likes to pinch it too!

HTH, the docking kits are pretty easy to fit and not too pricey.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ] I've seen the docking kits advertised, but never seen one fitted. Any chance of a piccie?+++

The thing is a tomtom One with the most basic of features is as good / better than the RNS-E but its £200ish not £2000.

If you look at the new Tomtom 710 then it will have many features Audi fitted system won't have. Yes its better to have it fully fitted. But for me Audi are taking the pi5s with the price. How can they possibly justify a price thats at least 5 times more expensive than even the Tomtom 710 is these days. crazy.gif

HI,

The tomtom docking kit is designed to power your existing speakers whilst it mutes your stereo. It has its own amp etc that powers the speakers.

As for theft granted no doubt some tosser will notice it but I personally think it is less obvious than the windscreen mount and the circles it leaves on the screen!

Very true Dave! Costings aside, the audi rns-e is a pig to install in the wifes 306!! grin.gif

Would love the rns-e but the tt for now is an excellent contender! Also there are a lot of "dodgy" rns-e units about. If one comes up at the right money I could be tempted to swap.