Petrol in a Diesel..........!!!!!!

Bluedan

Worst news

loaned my partner my TDI for the day and she has put petrol in it. Rang me up to say it had broken down, and then burst into tears when I asked her to repeat what she just told me.............what does this mean for me and the car, I'm absolutely shi**ing myself here.....

frown.gif Can we assume that by the words "its broken down" means she started the engine and drove it until it stopped?

frown.gif If so, I'd be fearing the worst. I'm not sure about Audi's but putting petrol in a new(ish) diesel BMW can produce some quotes that require it to go through insurance....

Bluedan

Sorry to hear about the petrol in the diesel. This unfortunately is not good on the more modern cars. From memory I believe you can end up with the following problems:

1. Issues with the diesel pump as the diesel also acts as a lube.

2. Issues with the injectors and fuel lines getting cleaned out.

I would suggest getting it sent to the stealers to get them to look at it:

i.e. Drian the tank/pump/lines and flush everthing out.

Fingers crossed you don't end up with a big bill. frown.gif

P.S. Lots of people do this everyday......

I have a link to an article in the motoring section of the Telegraph. I don't want to post it really, because (as pointed out above) it does seem to be very bad news.

If the engine is just started and only runs for a short while then you can get away with removing and cleaning certain parts, so I suppose it depends on how long it was running for before it stopped.

In principle, accidental damage is covered by comprehensive insurance (according to the Association of British Insurers). However, it does seem that most insurance companies have an exclusion in the small print (surprise, surprise!). Worth asking the question though.

edit: Too slow!

I asked the dealer about this when I picked up my car, they said they get at least 1 car a week were people have put petrol in a diesel. I was told they would need to drain the system and replace the fuel filer, once done they would have to pump the diesel back through the fuel lines. I’m sure they said about 2 hours labour.

[ QUOTE ]

I asked the dealer about this when I picked up my car, they said they get at least 1 car a week were people have put petrol in a diesel. I was told they would need to drain the system and replace the fuel filer, once done they would have to pump the diesel back through the fuel lines. I’m sure they said about 2 hours labour.

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif thats pretty reasonable - Lady T's mother put petrol in her BMW 120d and ended up with a £5k+ repair bill, hence it went though the insurance 169144-ok.gif

An Update!

The RAC man couldn't relay my partner home, because it was her fault! The options were to take it to the local Audi dealer to her (which was Milton Keynes at the time) or to an RAC approved garage. Audi wanted £300+ notes to do it, the independant garage £115! So I went with that. Drained it, flushed it, and filled it with Diesel, apparently it started first time and she is currently driving up the M1 as we speak!

My God, have I been very worried this afternoon with fears of £3000 plus repair bills.

The only thing I'm concerned about now is, how do I know if there is any other damage to it????

[ QUOTE ]

An Update!

The RAC man couldn't relay my partner home, because it was her fault! The options were to take it to the local Audi dealer to her (which was Milton Keynes at the time) or to an RAC approved garage. Audi wanted £300+ notes to do it, the independant garage £115! So I went with that. Drained it, flushed it, and filled it with Diesel, apparently it started first time and she is currently driving up the M1 as we speak!

My God, have I been very worried this afternoon with fears of £3000 plus repair bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif thats a result mate 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

An Update!

The only thing I'm concerned about now is, how do I know if there is any other damage to it????

[/ QUOTE ]

There will be ongoing damage - the seals and pipe work for the fuel lines will likely perish sooner than they 'ought too which means bills in the future - I wouldn't be surprised to find it fails the next MOT due to the CAT being poisoned either.

[ QUOTE ]

Yes she did......... :-(((((((

Can it be claimed for on insurance?

I don't know where to take it now, does it need to be a Audi dealer or anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes you can claim on insurance

itll be very expenseive otherwise - new injectors, engine flush (so full service costs) and more

[ QUOTE ]

Definitely worth your gf being extra nice for a month or two smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed! Could turn out to be the best £115 you've ever spent! laugh.gif

Oh wait, I was forgetting female logic. At some point in the next two hours this will become your fault. crazy.gif

Forgive me, but the mechanic said he did about 4 a week of these types of thing, and has never had any come back or future problems, he even had to do his own car, and no problem? Surely, once its happened, and you drain it and flush it through with Diesel, the Diesel is lubricating straight away? Why would they continue to get worse in the future?? Also, to someones previous comment, I think the "fancier" diesels are less lubricating, not more?

I think the fact it started 1st time and drove perfectly all the way home indicates its okay. I shall just have to try and forget it ever happened! Its a lot worse putting Diesel in a petrol engine apparently.