Should I or shouldn't I? W12 to S8

craigyb

I know the yare dropping in price, that does worry me, it's got a few things in it's favour...

1. The right colour, black with silver interior (black is fastest)

2. Low mileage 23K

3. All the toys (DAB, DVB-T, Bluetooth etc)

4. 5 year service and maint pack with over 3 years left. (cost free motoring for the buyer)

It certainly doesnt hurt to ask, the only thing I would say is thats an awful lot of money to have tied up in a private car are you cool with that?

On saying that it could be a good option, W12 ownership is not going to be cheap so if you can chop in and chop out and minimise any losses it may be worth it.

[ QUOTE ]

W12 ownership is not going to be cheap so if you can chop in and chop out and minimise any losses it may be worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my point the W12 is cheap, no servicing or repair costs for another 3 years. The S8 will cost me dearly to run.

Also, they both have the same power output and nearly all the figures are identical for top speed, acceleration etc

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

W12 ownership is not going to be cheap so if you can chop in and chop out and minimise any losses it may be worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my point the W12 is cheap, no servicing or repair costs for another 3 years. The S8 will cost me dearly to run.

Also, they both have the same power output and nearly all the figures are identical for top speed, acceleration etc

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a tough call then, I think if it were me id stay with the W12 and maybe change in 18-24 months or so when there may be a few nearly new S8's coming onto the market. As good as the discounts are they end up getting passed on with lower second hand values anyhow.

Ok, I've decided, I will stay with the W12, pop some 20" wheels on it tomorrow and keep my ~20K in the bank and save it for my house move.

I think I will feel better about the W12 when it's engine has been sorted and the auto lights/washers are fixed.

Gonna look at adding some more options to the W12, that rear view camera looks great.

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, I've decided, I will stay with the W12, pop some 20" wheels on it tomorrow and keep my ~20K in the bank and save it for my house move.

I think I will feel better about the W12 when it's engine has been sorted and the auto lights/washers are fixed.

Gonna look at adding some more options to the W12, that rear view camera looks great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the right decision Craig, NO gains in performance/economy or toys really, save ya doe 169144-ok.gif

Craig,

I've picked up my S8 today, but unfortunately running-in means I won't be able to tell you how it really compares to the W12 until around September, but then you'll perhaps see it at Buxton? My initial impressions (a couple of miles in town) are that the suspension is noticably harder than the W12, even in comfort mode; most bumps are fairly well damped, but the occasional rough spot throws it a little bit, although I expect that this will go away to some extent with some miles, as the suspension mount bushings bed in a bit more.

From the Silverstone drive, I can say that wy W12 felt faster as a road car than the S8 did, which is to be expected as my W12 was 38000 miles loose and it does have more torque across the entire rev range to it's 6250 rpm limit. The V10 does seem to rev up a bit quicker from under 3000 rpm, hardly surprising as it has a smaller rotating mass to shunt about. I think the S8 will be an engine that needs to loosen up the same way the W12 just got better and better up to a plateau (sp?) at about 30000 miles, but even then for rural A-road work, the W12 (in SWB guise) will be a more flexible performer on the greater torque, while the S8 will be a better track / twisty tool.

BTW, the S8 should have power doors and boot as standard UK spec. There is a Service Plan, but the Maintenance part has been dropped, so brake discs and pads are going to add to the S8 costs. You should be able to do a little better than 10% off list though, if you have a decent relationship with a dealer.

Should you change? Well, the S8 is newer and shinier, and has some nice new toys like the wider DIS display and some new functions in it like cruise control set speed display and instant speed readout. However, it's very much like the SWB W12 in interior character, and I'd say the on-road performance differences will take some time to see as I get more familiar with the S8. I'm happy with mine, but the finances worked for me because my business leases the cars, so for the same lease payments I get a new model year, revised handling and a different engine sound, plus all the things I liked in the W12, and because the list price is lower, I pay a bit less personal tax on it too.

Your situation may vary!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Engine problems?!!! Now what?

I did have a couple of recalls done, one of which involved a coolant system scaling cleanup (IIRC) and I thikn both involved software updates. Have you had any recalls done?

[ QUOTE ]

Engine problems?!!! Now what?

I did have a couple of recalls done, one of which involved a coolant system scaling cleanup (IIRC) and I thikn both involved software updates. Have you had any recalls done?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris thanks for the S8 summary, I think it was purely "shiney new toy" syndrome, I was stood next to it with a chunk of cash. If the dealer had been a bit keener we may have had a deal. But he said let me work on it, which always puts me off.

All my recalls have been done, air con, EPB etc.

I have a lambda probe fault, engine out jobby and the washers/wipers have failed on auto and manual for the wipers, but at least I can drive at night if the weather is fine.

The 20" S-lines have just turned up with spanking new tyres on courtesy of Will22 and wad of cash.

So will pop them on tomorrow. That should cheer me up.

I shredded the A8/S8 brochure to stop myself being tempted whilst sat in the office. As I said the 20K cash will pay som of the stamp duty on the new gaff if we ever sell out house.

So, I need to install a cool box as well now, did these A8 W12 get ordered with through loading?

[ QUOTE ]

I have a lambda probe fault, engine out jobby and the washers/wipers have failed on auto and manual for the wipers

[/ QUOTE ]

EEK2.GIF I have been lucky then, nothing off your issue list has happened to mine!

Hope you get it sorted out, the W12 is a fantastic car when it's running in top-top form.

Yes, they both W12s have load-through, and because they had rear AC ordered, the power connectors should be about somewhere as well.

Just unboxed the rear monitor system from an A6, comes with a dual input tv tuner and 7" sony monitor and 2 sets of headphones, 10 DVD changer, PS1 etc. Not interested in the changer or PS1, but the screen looks cool in the roof of the W12 and I could use the headphones and TV tuner to take feeds from the media player and TV system in the car.

The screen housing is in grey so it matches the interior of the car, so this is another possible project.

A good guess!

Its a shame that W12 advertised prices are not so attactive. When I bought my 55 plate 4.2 petrol sport recently for £38k, I would have happily looked at a one year older W12 for £10k more but the sticker prices are so high (ditto the number of used W12s that don't seem to sell!).

[ QUOTE ]

It was actually 35K they offered me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's quite interesting. I'll be keen to see (a) What Chris_B's old W12 goes up for on the forecourt, and (b) What my local dealer is willing to haggle down-to on a similar spec'd W12.

I know for a fact that my S8 is going to be worth diddly (and Mrs C won't entertain me keeping it AND buying a W12) so my trade-up is going to need plenty of readies.

[ QUOTE ]

I'll be keen to see (a) What Chris_B's old W12 goes up for on the forecourt

[/ QUOTE ]

It's got almost 39k on it (well, that's what I handed it over with, who knows how many extra miles it will gain before it gets put on the forecourt?), so I'm going to guess around £40k, perhaps £45k tops if they're pushing it and expect to do some haggling on that?

All large petrol engined cars are starting to take a beating. The offers on a one year old Range Rover Vogue V8 that listed at £67k are terrible. I'm sure the S8 will drop £30k off it's list price in a year too.