Question

pritesh

Why is it that when ever drivers come across cop cars on the motorway they each and everyone of them slam on their brakes and drive along at 20mph less than the speed limit?

Was moving along rather nicely this morning at a steady 70mph on the A3 from the M25 to Guildford and all of a sudden everyone in front slamms their brakes on..all over a cop car doing 50mph in the slow lane...The limit is 70 for the A3 until u get to the Guildford exit which is 50!

I dont get it.. confused.gif

that's just the motorist sheep factor kicking in where people don't really know the speed limit so they assume it's the same as the cop car.

I've always thought the police must find this hilarious (even though they shouldn't as panic-braking for cameras, police etc is very dangerous).

don't think this is unusual - lots of drivers are unable to think for themselves suicide.gif

169144-ok.gif

Because there has to be a disproportionate amount of 'thick' people top compensate for us who are blessed with intelligence.

I still believe dependent upon what you drive the Police will let you drive anywhere up to 80 in conditions that allow you to do so, dependent of course on how pedantic they wish to be or more accurately, whether they have reached their speeding prosecution quota for the month.

I'll just wait for A_S to come along and apprehend me now.... coffee.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I still believe dependent upon what you drive the Police will let you drive anywhere up to 80 in conditions that allow you to do so...

[/ QUOTE ]

I must have passed many unmarked cars at my 85ish cruising speed - never been stopped.

I will creep past marked cars at anything up to 5mph over the limit.

And worse still when drivers slam on the anchors upon seeing a police car on the other side of the road. This seems to happen even when people aren't driving over the speed limit.

The other one is that most people seem to think that you have to drive at 10mph less than the limit when you see a speed camera. On dual carriageways this normally means 50mph as they don't know what the national speed limit is in the first place and think they'll get done for over 60. SAUER0421.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

And worse still when drivers slam on the anchors upon seeing a police car on the other side of the road. This seems to happen even when people aren't driving over the speed limit.

The other one is that most people seem to think that you have to drive at 10mph less than the limit when you see a speed camera. On dual carriageways this normally means 50mph as they don't know what the national speed limit is in the first place and think they'll get done for over 60. SAUER0421.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

yelrotflmao.gif

Mate welcome to my world...every damn morning on the M25 with the variable speed limits! openfire.gif

It really does annoy me. But one just has to sit back and turn up music.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

...every damn morning on the M25 with the variable speed limits!

[/ QUOTE ]

... and I wish people would learn which gantries have cameras and which don't!

[/ QUOTE ]

you and me both mate...It doesn't take a genius and slide rule to figure it out...It really makes me wonder how most of the road users actually got their driving licences.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

...every damn morning on the M25 with the variable speed limits!

[/ QUOTE ]

... and I wish people would learn which gantries have cameras and which don't!

[/ QUOTE ]

I also wish the people that control the variable speed limits wouldn't throw in a sneaky 40 mph limit in the middle of a sequence of 60 limits - they obviously know that as soon as the limits are switched on the cameras are triggered - and often the limits are in force even when the road is clear.

bunch of money grabbing accident-inducing mofo's smashfreakB.gif

I have to say that a mate of mine went through a 60 limit at 70-75 (open road) and recieved nothing its been well over 6 months too. - sheer luck if u ask me.

Does anyone know how the cameras on the variable speed limit section actually work? does the speed setting get re-set at each different speed limit? (daft question I know but would like a proper answer)

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The one that makes me laugh is when on a dual carriageway and there is a Gatso in the central reservation obviously pointed to monitor traffic in the opposite direction and people on your side slam their brakes on when they see it.. smashfreakB.gif

I was going to go on to that but decided I'd already ranted enough slap.gif. My old commute down the A40 had exactly this problem. The camera could be pointed in either direction yet you could see from miles away which way it was facing - did that stop everyone crawling past it in both directions? Did it, feck.

[ QUOTE ]

I also wish the people that control the variable speed limits wouldn't throw in a sneaky 40 mph limit in the middle of a sequence of 60 limits - they obviously know that as soon as the limits are switched on the cameras are triggered - and often the limits are in force even when the road is clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the gantry signs never fib. Ever ever. Cross their heart and hope to die.

883477-Image013a.jpg

post-6686-137914368811_thumb.jpg

ppp > Car speedos are legally allowed to be +10% inaccurate but -0%. Mine is +13%....100 on speedo = 87 on Road Angel. Consequently I always drive according to my Road Angel's reading. VW have offered to change it but it would mean the whole unit and they won't guarantee other than the 10%.

Ah, so that's why the GTI is the fastest car in the world! wink.gifgrin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

ppp > Car speedos are legally allowed to be +10% inaccurate but -0%. Mine is +13%....100 on speedo = 87 on Road Angel. Consequently I always drive according to my Road Angel's reading. VW have offered to change it but it would mean the whole unit and they won't guarantee other than the 10%.

Ah, so that's why the GTI is the fastest car in the world! wink.gifgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What because they've calibrated it wrong to +100% wink.gif

That's why you feel the car is 'deceptively' quick! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

My old commute down the A40 had exactly this problem. The camera could be pointed in either direction yet you could see from miles away which way it was facing -

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the one at the Uxbridge turn off? If it is I know what you mean... I get passed those with 75 on the clock. Not brave enough to go any quciker especially with a slightly larger rolling radius than the standard wheels wink.gif