Brera - my heart seems to be captured....

lottiefox

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm having always said that the one thing I could never cope with on an Alfa is the number plate not being in the middle (its a girl thing, I'm very symetrical!), I find myself suddenly lusting over the Brera...

It started last week when I went to a client's house and parked behind a brand new silver one on the drive - her manager's - quick sit in and wow, I loved it. smlove2.gif Awesome sort of full sun roof type thing you can reveal and stunning sexy lines on the car. Interior was pretty good too. grin.gif

Then today, I've seen a black one.... smlove2.gifsmlove2.gifheart.gif

I really can't afford to change at the moment unfortunately but is it just me, or is this one of the sexiest motors to appear for a while? I almost think it looks sexier than the new TT! EEK2.GIF (almost.... coffee.gifgrin.gif)

alfa_romeo_brera_2.jpg

Inside it was stunning - I am concerned though as I sat in one at the Autosport show and the seats had collapsed!! EEK2.GIFUHOH7.GIF

There is a dealer in Aylesbury selling an 06 plate 2.4 diesel for just under £24K, with 2700 miles on clock - about 2500-3000 off new price I think? So, I do wonder what long term residuals will be like.

I am keeping the TT for the next 18 months anyway, cost to change too much and also needing to cover my back as a work contract looks a bit iffy, (big reason why I couldn't go for the Boxster frown.gifSAUER0421.GIFfrown.giffrown.gif), but the Brera could be a great little option for the future. It is indeed lovely in the flesh. smlove2.gif

I've seen a few on the road now, so have had chance to form a proper opinion. I wasn't sure when I saw the pictures, but I can now confirm that it's an awful looking car.

The front is quite nice from dead ahead, but it has huge overhangs and the big fat squashed rear end is dreadful.

Look at those overhangs....

alfa-brera_3_468x0.jpg

A friend of mine suggested that it looked like this and I think he has a point!

amc_pacer_1.jpg

Just my opinion of course 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

What's the engine spec etc, Neil?

[/ QUOTE ]

Brera engine specs are -

2.2 JTS 185bhp

2.4 JTD 200bhp

3.2 V6 260bhp + Q4

For 2007 there will be the following added -

4.2 V8 JTS GTA 430hp + Q4

1.9 JTDm 175hp optional Q4

3.0 JTDm 280hp + Q4

Lottie Perry's of Aylesbury are one of the good Alfa dealers in the Midlands, however they are expensive when it comes to the labour rates though.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

For 2007 there will be the following added -

4.2 V8 JTS GTA 430hp + Q4

1.9 JTDm 175hp optional Q4

3.0 JTDm 280hp + Q4

Lottie Perry's of Aylesbury are one of the good Alfa dealers in the Midlands, however they are expensive when it comes to the labour rates though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm........interesting! is Q4 4WD? Its a steep learning curve for Alfas and me! ROLLEY~14.GIFgrin.gif

Might have to have a blast to Aylesbury tomorrow for a nose..... cool.gif

Yep, I think Q4 is their new designation - it used to be Cloverleaf I think which I liked a lot more.

Could be worse, they could have called it the Brera Parsley or Oregano I suppose.

I want to like it but the design hasn't moved me yet. I'm not sure I like the centre console in the interior though. Sad, really as I saw a grey 147 GTA earlier and thought that worked really well. And that red one in the picture...well, it just looks like a squashed sandwich frown.gif

Most cars are both colour and wheel sensitive. I've only seen them in dark colours, maybe Silver hides its bad points?

It is slow though. The 3.2 JTS Q4 was tested recently by Autocar and achieved the following: (remember that this is a £31k 'sports' coupe (as tested)

0-60 in 7.0

0-100 in 18.8

30-70 in 7.2 seconds

Top Speed 144mph

It wouldn't see which was a TT went, let alone something like a 3.0 litre BMW.

Autocars conclusion? "We were dissapointed by the Brera. At nearly £30k the 3.2V6 is out of its depth....As it is its too slow, too fat and too dull to drive to cut it in this class"

The new TT looks nice though.... grin.gif

OK, forget the fact it looks quite nice. I've just read those nasty words "slow" SAUER0421.GIFUHOH7.GIFNONO3.GIF

However, I reckon a V8 might push it along quite nicely......if it can handle the power output properly. 169144-ok.gif

Still think I fancy a drive in one though. Just so I can keep loving the TT! grin.gif

Well I seem to be the resident Alfa man so ask away Lottie. 169144-ok.gif Yes Q4 is Alfa's 4WD system, aparently according to a Audi magazine Ben has it's simular to the system Audi uses for the RS models.

If you have the JTD models they can be tuned to produce a lot of power. Angel Tuning in Leamington Spa have a 156 20v 2.4 JTD as a test mule that produces 260bhp. Stock was only around 175bhp.

[ QUOTE ]

The problem with alfa's of the past is that the thickness of the steel they used was micron's thick and in our salty atmosphere they lasted all of about 3 weeks...

i take it things have improved?

[/ QUOTE ]

It has improved a lot, mines 4 years old and with 114,000 on the clock and it only has one bit of rust on it where the previous ownesr chipped a bit of the paint off. SAUER0421.GIF Rest of the car is faultles though, hardly looks like it's done lots of motorway miles.

However, to keep the body warrenty you have to get it inspected at an Alfa dealer out of your pocket at the 3rd and 5th year.

Lottie, I think it's a stunning looking car.

However, I couldn't bring myself to buy one as it's akin to collecting together half your money and burning it over the next 12 months. After that, take half of whats left and burn that too.

Furthermore, the reliability would be something I'd want to see tested over 2 years after production of the first models before I even thought of taking the plunge.

My Alfa's been more reliable than the MX-5 I had before it and hasn't got a spot of rust on it (it's a '99T). I'd have another one- but not new, maybe let someone else take the hit for a year or so.

I'm not sure I'd buy one even then though (or the TT to be honest) when you can get a 350Z or RX-8 for the same money.

They do look smlove2.gif though...