Please can I have advice on underwater cameras....

sidicks

Chaps

I need some help, and this is always the first port of call...........

I currently have a Canon Ixus 400 (I think) digital camera for which I purchased an underwater case for use when diving. Recently the camera has been having an intermittant fault (only 2 -3 years old, and the second Canon of ours to have failed within this timescale), and we are told that it needs a new circuit board at a cost of £90, plus £60 labour to rectify the problem.

For £150 (or maybe by adding a bit more cash), we could get a much better, new digital camera, however, my understanding is that I'd need to buy a new underwater case,as the new cameras are slightly different sizes.

I guess the questions I'm asking for input on are:

- Are Canon cameras generally good quality and reliable - I don't want to make the same mistake 3 times?!

- Is it worth getting the old IXUS repaired and using it for diving only (and buying a new camera for general use)

- Am I better off buying a 'proper' underwater camera, and if so, what is the right amount to spend - with limited research, I've seen cheap re-use underwater cameras at less than £50 and decent underwater cameras at upwards of £500, but very little in between. How does a £200 underwater camera compare with my old IXUS and a waterpoof case?)

As always, thanks for your comments...............

beerchug.gif

Sidicks

I'm no expert, and you might get better answers somewhere like Yorkshire Divers, but here are my thoughts:

I have an Ixus 4xx (430 I think) with an underwater housing. I haven't used it too much underwater, but it has performed faultlessly on dry land for some time now. Getting the old Ixus repaired might hinge on the cost of the repairs. You could always buy something new, with a new housing and flog the old housing on eBay - there's a pretty health market for scuba gear on there, and camera housings sell quite well. I don't know about 'real' underwater cameras, most of the serious u/w photographers I know have normal cameras (usually digital slr, e.g. Nikon) with uber-expensive housings. I'd be inclined to say that either getting your Ixus fixed, or buying a better camera with a new housing would be the best way to go. Depends on budget really. If it helps, you can see pictures I took in Egypt on my Ixus here.

Sidicks, i think you must have been unlucky with your Ixus.

I have had,

Ixus 330, 400, 500 and Now 800IS and they have been nothing short of excellent. so much so, i dont even consider anything non Canon now.

The previous 3 were sold on (two to TSN members) due to me upgrading and buying the latest ones.

Im not sure i would bother repairing the old camera. Id invest the money that you would have spent repairing it, on/towards a new one.

Stick the knackered one on Ebay for spares or repair, Im sure somebody would want to buy it for replacement screen, damaged lens, spare battery etc etc

The thing that stops me buying a new one is that I believe that most of the new ones use SD cards, whereas my current one has Compact flash - I guess it might be possible to sell the old cards on e-bay (I have 4 x256mb and 1*64mb) but it does seem a bit of a waste.

The key thing for me will be whether I can re-use the existing underwater case with a new camera (from recollection cost around £100), as if not, I'll probably get the old camera repaired to use solely as my diving 'hobby' camera and then buy a new IXUS for use as 'best'......

thanks for your help,

Sidicks

They certainly have swapped to SD, from the 700 upwards

Ixus 400/500 use Waterproof Case (40m) WP-DC800

after that..

700 use Waterproof Case (40m) WP-DC70

750 use Waterproof Case (40m) WP-DC80

800IS use Waterproof Case (40m) WP-DC5

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks - will head there on Friday lunchtime !

Sidicks

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually found some time to have a chat with them today - very helpful guys, but I'm not sure what to do.....

New IXUS plus new case = £350 (maybe I can sell the old waterproof case for £50 and all the compact flash cards for £50)

Get current Ixus repaired = £150 (keep existing waterproof case)

Buy used IXUS 400/500 for £100ish (fits current waterproof case)

Suggestions....??

Sidicks

Well im loving my 800IS.

the only quibble is the TFT screen is very prone to greasy finger marks, so i am forever cleaning it, with a glasses lens cloth, hardly a chore, but there you go.

The bigger screen makes taking pics a dream, after all, how often do you use a view finder on a digital camera these days?

[ QUOTE ]

Well im loving my 800IS.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was buying a new camera, that would be my choice. However, given the situation with my underwater housing, I'm going to try and pick up a used IXUS 400, 430 or 500 on ebay and then I can use the underwater housing I already have.

It looks as though there are a number of used IXUS cameras of this type on e-bay, and I expect to be able to buy the same or better camera cheaper than the £150 it will cost to get mine fixed!!

Sidicks