My next car. What to get?

sayerbloke

It's time to change my `95 BMW 328i coupe. It's reached the stage where it'll shortly start costing me more to maintain than it's worth. I'll miss it for sure, but how much I miss it depends on what I replace it with.

You would not believe the range of cars I've looked up over the last few days on Parkers and Autotrader... everything from hatchbacks, small sports cars, coupes, convertibles, a pickup, an estate and even a Proton Satria blush.gifgrin.gif

I've now got a couple of cars in mind, but thought I'd collect some more opinions from you lot.

OK, requirements are, in order of priority:

-Roughly £6k-£7k... depends how much trade-in I can get on mine and how much of my savings I'm willing to part with at the time!

-Reasonably good looking and reasonably quick.

-Preferably lower running/servicing costs than the BMW. I'm hoping to save a bit more money over the next few months for future projects grin.gif

Think that's about it. Just to start you off, a couple of the current preferred cars in my mind are a Vauxhall Astra Coupe, a Seat Leon and a Mazda MX5. Yesterday it was an Accord coupe, a Clio 172 or a new-shape Celica, so it's all been subject to change at any time grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

How about a Saab 9-5 aero. Well equipped and comfortable - will do plenty miles and with around 250bhp and 268lbs torque it goes like a rat up a drain pipe - i.e. fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as the drainpipe's dead straight... tongue.gif

Sadly it seems Saab are suffering in the hands of GM. The 9-5 is a decent enough car (considered one myself not so long ago). You just have to remember it's quite a big car and it has 250bhp running through the front wheels. A good handler it ain't.

I think alot depends on what sort of running costs you're after. If you can find a nice, unmolested UK Impreza you have a fantastic car, but they're thirsty and go through tyres and brake pads rather quickly. Subaru servicing costs aren't too bad, but Imprezas in this price bracket have an oil change every 7,500 miles.

A Leon Cupra would be a great choice if you don't mind joining the hot hatch fraternity.

If you like the Lexus why not look for an Altezza (Jap spec IS200). In Jap land there was a very nice version with a development of the 3gse engine from the GT4/MR2. It was N/A and used the first generation of the VVTL found in the 1.8 (see late model Celica and Elise). This engine was known as the BEAMS engine and were apparently built to a very high standard. They produce in excess of 200bhp and are pretty much bullet proof apparently.

Makes the later VVTL seem a bit limp wristed and peaky.