Mk5 GTI - First Year Review...

RedRobin

I picked up my Mk5 GTI exactly a year ago to the date. I was grinning from ear to ear that day and I'm still grinning one year later. Where do I begin? - Duh! At the beginning!

I had discovered Tyresmoke while waiting for delivery and learnt far more than I could have done anywhere else. In fact our shared information on this site still continues to be a very valuable resource. My whole working life has been involved in the creative arts so I am hard-wired into primarily considering both form and function. She's obviously not as beautiful as some of the Porsches but only yesterday, a lady with a Mk4 Golf estate asked me what my car was and was admiring her. For what it's worth, people of all ages admire her and many ask questions.

The day I picked her up I drove along the rather demanding coast road and she delivered everything I remembered from my test drive 12 weeks earlier. I then decided to take it steady and run her in according to the handbook. Some people here think that's a load of rubbish but I take the view that VW wouldn't bother writing it in the handbook without valid reason. My first disappointment was not being able to hear the engine properly. I had driven a straight-six BMW for years and always hated driving any vehicles which felt like caccoons of marshmallow. So, I happened to get offered the chance to buy one of the first sets of quads from Milltek and it would have been rude to have said no - First disappointment solved. The Millteks went through a period of droning at 3,200 revs but have now deepened their tone. It'll be interesting to hear how they are again in the cool of next Winter.

DSG has taken several thousand miles to get to the point where it feels natural and fluid to use. The problem is merely that there are numerous combinations of using DSG and switching between the various modes, plus that I am a slow learner! I very rarely use the 'tiptronic' nudge-the-floor-stick option and prefer the paddleshifters for 'manual', even though, like many others, I think I would prefer bigger paddles. It's a learning curve in discovering which road/traffic circumstances best suit how you want to drive. S-mode is extremely useful for hard driving when you want one less thing to think about. But each of us are going to discover our individual driving preferences in the DSG GTI.

As I gradually got to know the car better I found myself being alarmed at how well she sticks on bends and was beginning to worry where the 'edge' was. Thanks to TSN, I went on the CarLimits course and experienced that 'edge' and, very importantly, falling off it without damage. I will now do that CarLimits course on every new car I buy.

Having been lucky enough to have driven one or two professionally modded GTIs I decided to mod my suspension. The car didn't need it but it improves it, especially when driving hard. KoniFSD + Eibach ARBs. There is absolutely no nose-dive. I've smelled the brakes a few times but so far, so good as I rarely stay on the brake pedal for long to avoid overheating them.

I always expect to be disappointed in my GTI after spending time in a more powerful car, but, so far, I never am. I think it's because the GTI just feels so agile and sporty. The seats are exceptionally comfortable and supportive including for the rear passengers, so I'm told.

From a purely practical point of view I find that with 5 doors I can better manage to load/unload heavy music gear etc. Also it's much easier for passengers - Most commonly my teenage daughter and her jailbait friends. The car never feels heavy due to the load - Strange that. I knew the Golf was a very practical real-world car but dear Jeremy Clarkson completely sold me on arranging a test drive after his TG review. The sunroof is exceptional in terms of lack of draughts and operation.

So, surely there must be some negatives. Err....The paint on the climate control knob is wearing off but the cloth interior and 'plastics' are as brand new and I have only cleaned the interior twice. I am very limited which dirt roads, farm tracks etc, I can drive on but that's a small price to pay for the performance aspects. The DSG gear number and speedo are tricky to read but I use a Road Angel for speed display. The front left dashboard sounds randomly squeaky but I'm wondering if it's just what's in my glovebox [now on my check list]. She's much less fuel economical than the brochure said but it's not a problem at the moment. The armrest sometimes won't stay locked in forward position. The standard audio system is crap for music in my opinion. I'm sat here and can't think of any other negatives except some wheelspin in greasy condtions but even that is manageable by more sensitive and progressive use of the right foot.

Thanks to being teased by fellow TSNers I changed my 17" alloys to 18" and would have ordered 18s originally. The OEM BBS 18s are not at all harsh (on my suspension).

I thought that my incessant desire to drive the car at every single opportunity would gradually diminish....How wrong I was! I still experience withdrawal symptoms after every two days I have gone without driving her. Whether I drive 200 or 400 miles in one day, I never feel tired. I don't just travel from A to B - I enjoy the whole journey. I don't even mind the occasional traffic jam - I just select D-mode, put on some music, and chill. I'm now approaching 17,000 miles and I don't have a work journey. I feel safer driving this car than any other I have driven during over 40 years on the roads.

Contrary to what you might read on Tyresmoke, it's not the fastest car in the world by a very long way but it's great fun to drive. It's one of those rare car designs which the manufacturer got right and possibly a classic of the future just as the Mk1 now is.

To quote Keith Richards, one of my favourite people: "A song doesn't stop when you've written it - It only ends when you no longer play it". For me, my Mk5 GTI is one of my favourite songs and I'll always have very fond memories when I do eventually stop playing.

[ QUOTE ]

To quote Keith Richards, one of my favourite people: "A song doesn't stop when you've written it - It only ends when you no longer play it". For me, my Mk5 GTI is one of my favourite songs and I'll always have very fond memories when I do eventually stop playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brings a tear to the eye.

Great review Red 169144-ok.gif

Yes, an excellent review indeed, on a very good car without doubt.

I have a little question though.

You've modified the car quite substantially Robin - so I'd be interested to know in what way you think your review might be different if you hadn't invested extra monies in the car.

I'm not trying to catch you out or demean the car in any way - I'm just conscious of the fact it's far from a standard Mk V Golf GTi!

Cheers MrMe....An interesting question and one which was floating around the back of my brain while I was writing the 'review'. To answer:

I was very quickly disappointed by the good interior soundproofing which was reducing what I could hear the engine doing. Hearing an engine rather than only being able to rely on the rev counter display is how I've always driven and I consider it to be a driving aid as well as enjoyable. You can hear the standard car but not enough for my liking. Hearing the engine better has also helped my learning what DSG is doing.

You say that I've "modified the car quite substantially" but I've only done the exhaust and suspension, and only the shocks/springs/Anti-roll bars. The suspension mods weren't necessary at all but I would do them again and they probably contribute a little, not much, to traction. I don't count the SatNav/Audio mods and didn't include them in my review.

Personally I think the car looks better with the aftermarket rear valance that was necessary to accommodate the Milltek quad pipes. But that's just an aesthetic opinion and I am/was a professional designer.

In conclusion, apart from the Millteks, I would not have been any less happy now a year later if I had kept the car OEM. Imo it's simply a great little car however you cut it.

169144-ok.gif

Hi sayerbloke > Yes, as petsy says, I would have specced the Highline computer, reversing sensors (which I did aftermarket), 18s (which I did later), and heated windscreen washers if without heated seats etc. Wouldn't change anything else I can think of right now.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Oops, my mistake - I thought you'd had it chipped too.

[/ QUOTE ]

....Most people would re-map a car with the spec I've given it but I have very consciously decided to leave that possibility until after doing the mods I have and am doing, if indeed I ever do re-map. I've 'Stage 1' re-mapped my brain by doing the CarLimits course. For me, it's all about driveability rather than bhp....Too many neddies on FWD is potentially too much of a handful as far as I am concerned.

I would recommend anyone doing any mods slowly and one at a time to be able to more fully appreciate what the mods are providing. I have sought the expertise and advice of people I know to be very experienced (sorry, but much more experienced than most TSNers) in what various mods do.

I don't expect to get back any of the money I have spent on mods. I've kept all the original OEM equipment and have no intention of refitting any of it. My car will either go to another enthusiast who appreciates it as is, or I'll just take a hit financially on a part exchange. I'd spend it all doing the same again.

169144-ok.gif

Hi Red - great review there mate - really does sound like it has found a place in your heart!!! I must admit, the only car to date that has a BIG place in my heart was my long-lost Mk2 Golf GTi 8v in gunmetal grey, small bumper model.

Got wiped out by a 7.5ton box truck along with my neck and shoulders in the process!!! ROLLEY~14.GIF

It is way to early to give my little Renault a place in my heart, but reading your review, it does seem to have similar effects! I also have to say, the Golf sounds more useable day-to-day with the DSG 169144-ok.gif

Quick question, just had a look on the CarLimits website and it's all daaaarn saaaarf in Essex - is this simply a driver-skills course - i.e. one i could do oooooop here in't north??

Would be very interested as at the moment i am taking 90degree bends at increasing speed to find the limit - up to 80mph on a v tight sweeper up to now....... no run off, this is getting silly - i need an airfield!!! grin.gif

Again, a great review and i'm sure you will still love her in another year 169144-ok.gif PS - sooooo glad they brough back the tartan seats notworthy.gif

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Quick question, just had a look on the CarLimits website and it's all daaaarn saaaarf in Essex - is this simply a driver-skills course - i.e. one i could do oooooop here in't north??

Would be very interested as at the moment i am taking 90degree bends at increasing speed to find the limit - up to 80mph on a v tight sweeper up to now....... no run off, this is getting silly - i need an airfield!!! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....That's exactly what I was doing and it was beginning to scare me cos the last thing you want to do is injure someone else, yourself, or your car.

Your best bet would be to ask CarLimits about what's up north.

I saw one of your Megane F1s going the other way on Friday....Sat the road extremely well and was looking very good. An honest performance car not ashamed to look the part 169144-ok.gif. An exciting drive I would imagine 169144-ok.gif.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

....That's exactly what I was doing and it was beginning to scare me cos the last thing you want to do is injure someone else, yourself, or your car.

Your best bet would be to ask CarLimits about what's up north.

I saw one of your Megane F1s going the other way on Friday....Sat the road extremely well and was looking very good. An honest performance car not ashamed to look the part 169144-ok.gif. An exciting drive I would imagine 169144-ok.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

i will drop them a line / have a look around up here..... 169144-ok.gif

yea - the megane is amazing. The sheer level of grip is the part i cannot get used to - i need to know what it fees like on the edge before my trip down to the 'ring in her....... trouble is, the level of grip means corners at ilegal speeds!!! blush.gif

If i catch you at a meet, i'll take you for a spin 169144-ok.gif

Thanks to Snoopy Geoff for pointing out that I had forgotten to report the failure of my DSG Mechatronics Module at about 6K miles: Link to TSN thread - TSN archives = notworthy.gif As the thread reports it hasn't put me off DSG - Anything can go wrong with something as complex as a car.

The other thing Snoopy reminded me about is that some VW dealers, not all, are happy to carry out certain aftermarket mods without automatically trashing your VW warranty. I'm lucky that mine has a major professional workshop and they are actually familiar with Milltek and Carbonio products. I'm a 'text book ideal' customer - Never in a hurry and always willing to fit in with them plus I sit and chat and have built good relationships. They know where I'm coming from but that I have standards to be met and they probably think I know much more than I actually do! In fact when it comes to the sales people it's not difficult to know more than they do!!

Hi gang, I have been reading your forum for a few day's now, and have finally decided to join as I will soon be a member of the GTI family! I have purchased mine in Tornado Red with a 6-speed manual box. I didn't fancy any optional extra's, just the basic model. I honestly do not understand what all the great fuss about the Focus ST is?! They look nothing special, and Jason Plato (Fifth gear) said it felt "Wooley" compared to the GTI. The styling aint as nice as the GTI's either. Also, it's a Ford, so large depreciation is innevitable. The other rival is the Type-R Civic. Although it screams like a cat being tortured, I much prefer the low down "torquey" grunt you get from the GTI. I have to say also, the new Clio Sport don't look too bad, but that interior? Ugh!! Nah, the GTI is for me! I went for a test drive on sunday (6th August), and I was 110% sold on it!! So of course, I signed on the dotted line which I'm sure you guy's will say I made the right choice. Jeremy Clarkson's review of the mk5 is re-asssuring too, because at the end of the day he does getto drive just about every fast car in exsistance! There is no-one on any car programme that can fault this car, and I also wish to thank VW for making such a fantastic machine. Insurance aint bad either, seeings I am 26 yrs old, and only have 4 yrs no claims due to my Saxo Furio (1.4) kissing the arse end of a Corsa back in 2001!! My quote is just over £500 through Privilage. I'm going from a 90bhp Vauxhall Corsa SXi (54 reg), to a 200bhp piece of engineering excellence, and I CANNOT bloody wait!!

I checked into the VW dealership today to see whereabouts my order was, and it is currently at chk point 1 (which is the bare shell), and should be built by the end of the week according to the guy i spoke to, and I should be able to pick her up in about 4-5 weeks.

I will keep you posted, and hope to hear from you guy's soon. Take Care

Marc

GTI Noobe

[ QUOTE ]

....due to my Saxo Furio (1.4) kissing the arse end of a Corsa back in 2001!! .... I'm going from a 90bhp Vauxhall Corsa SXi (54 reg), to a 200bhp piece of engineering excellence, and I CANNOT bloody wait!!

Marc

GTI Noobe

[/ QUOTE ]

....Welcome aboard Tyresmoke, Marc 169144-ok.gif.

It sounds as if you are going to find the GTI somewhat more powerful than what you have been used to. I hope you won't mind me sounding like your dad (I am old enough to be your dad!), but get to know her slowly and take care. Feed the throttle smoothly and progressively if you want to reduce wheelspin.

If you find yourself, after she's run-in, exploring the limits of her cornering abilities etc and getting concerned about just where she might let go on a public road where you can hit something/someone, then I suggest an open airfield day course such as CarLimits at North Weald. Do a Search for "CarLimits" in the GTI forum.

We look forward to hearing more from you - Best in the GTI forum if it's about the GTI.

Now you have to suffer the wait!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

....due to my Saxo Furio (1.4) kissing the arse end of a Corsa back in 2001!! .... I'm going from a 90bhp Vauxhall Corsa SXi (54 reg), to a 200bhp piece of engineering excellence, and I CANNOT bloody wait!!

Marc

GTI Noobe

[/ QUOTE ]

....Welcome aboard Tyresmoke, Marc 169144-ok.gif.

It sounds as if you are going to find the GTI somewhat more powerful than what you have been used to. I hope you won't mind me sounding like your dad (I am old enough to be your dad!), but get to know her slowly and take care. Feed the throttle smoothly and progressively if you want to reduce wheelspin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just made the jump from a 1.4 VW Polo (85hp) to a GTI myself (albeit one with DSG) and I have to say it's not as big of a leap as I'd expected! I was half expecting it to feel like someone had strapped a starfighter to my arse, especially since the DSG will shift up as and when required without hesitation. I was quietly surprised to find that it's actually quite managable if you're gentle with it, although I've still not got the hang of the gearbox and find myself making it kick-down when all I wanted was a bit more in-gear acceleration.

What will surprise you I think is its ability to hide the speed it's doing. I'm still getting used to it but even telling what's 30mph can catch you out to begin with, such is the noise-damping and general quietness of the cabin.

To be honest, it's far too soon for me to be giving anyone advice on this car (I've had it 3 days!), but so far I've found that so long as you keep your wits about you and don't try to boot it everywhere you'll be fine...

[ QUOTE ]

What will surprise you I think is its ability to hide the speed it's doing. I'm still getting used to it but even telling what's 30mph can catch you out to begin with, such is the noise-damping and general quietness of the cabin.

[/ QUOTE ]

....I guess that hearing the Millteks keeps you more in touch with what progress you're making. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hi gang, I have been reading your forum for a few day's now, and have finally decided to join as I will soon be a member of the GTI family! I have purchased mine in Tornado Red with a 6-speed manual box. I didn't fancy any optional extra's, just the basic model.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice to see another basic spec model here.

Very few here with basic models they all seem to think some options are must have. tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I am 26 yrs old, and only have 4 yrs no claims due to my Saxo Furio (1.4) kissing the arse end of a Corsa back in 2001!! My quote is just over £500 through Privilage.

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems cheap.

[ QUOTE ]

I checked into the VW dealership today to see whereabouts my order was, and it is currently at chk point 1 (which is the bare shell), and should be built by the end of the week according to the guy i spoke to, and I should be able to pick her up in about 4-5 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats quick its often 10-12 weeks of wait.

Hope to see you in the GTI section regular.

Geoff. cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats quick its often 10-12 weeks of wait...

[/ QUOTE ]

too bl**dy right that's quick!!! shocked.gif

i guess you were lucky enough to find a dealer with a spec-changeable build slot or cancelled order???

as you can see from my sig below, i ordered on 22ND JUNE (six weeks earlier) and it isn't even due to be built for another 4 weeks! argh!

i'm upgrading from a standard Lupo GTI (1.6 125bhp), which i sold a month ago, i'm looking forward to the Golf's smoothness and cruising ability as much as it's power for "spirited driving"...

PS - welcome to TSN, time to re-locate to the GTI forum now... 169144-ok.gif