[Audi A3/S3] S3 Foot Well Led Lighting mod

Paul

Something I spotted on the TT forum, where they had them linked to the side lights,

I wanted them to work like foot well lights should. I.e with the doors.

The interior light is clever and has the following abilities.

<ul type="square"> [*]Switches On with unlocking, and Off when locking by the remote grin.gifcool.gif [*] Switched On when opening the doors from inside. [*] Switched on when turning off the ignition and removing the key. [*]Automatically turns off when you turn the ignition on. [*]It’s a soft on/off circuit, so fades in and out. [*] Has a built in timer for turning off if you just have the door open a while. [*]

Being that the foot well lighting is connected directly to the interior light, all the above features of the interior light, now applies to the foot well lights. 169144-ok.gif

Including the main override switch On, Auto,Off.

The led strip lights are made by PRISM. (Part no. PN670R) and about £12 each from Halfords, if you can find them in stock, it took me a while to track some down.

It consists of a 30cm Led flexible self adhesive strip, with 15 micro led’s spaced along set in a black backing. I bought the red ones, You can buy them in various colours,

They are sold ready to go, no need for resistors, just stick them straight on 12V, they come with an extraordinary amount of wire attached.

The whole idea is to hide them. I want it to look “Audi”.

I don’t want to see the Led’s or the strip.

I just want to see an ambient glow to the foot well area, without being spot lit

To even see them, you really have to get your head down in the foot well area and look up, even on the more exposed drivers side.

Anyway some pictures …

pictures just of drivers foot well, but passenger side identical.

You can just see the strip at the top of the picture.

900679-Off.JPG

Night time shots to follow. 169144-ok.gif

post-215-137914371024_thumb.jpg

Made by Varad, they are twin LED festoon bulbs, a straight swap for the OEM ones. (your need 2)

Quite expensive at just under a tenner each, and quite difficult to track down in the UK, so unlikely to find them cheaper.

I prefer the crisper white light with hint of blue, to the horrible yellow standard bulbs.

I havent bothered with any pics as its hard to show the output, especially after editing out the number plate.

But they work exceptionally well and look great when the cars clean.

I got mine from Wak, when he had a few spare. You can get them from HERE (Type 211 pro medium white)

you can see a comparrison and some info on Waks site.

http://www.wak-tt.com/mods/plateleds/plateleds.htm

• 2 weeks later...