Ibiza Cupra TDi 160

RossG

Any opinions on this car anyone?

Basically, my R32 is broken yet again, and frankly I'm tired of only getting a couple of months without things needing fixed smashfreakB.gif

So I'm thinking of maybe cutting my losses - and going back to the comfortable world of new cars.

Now, Mrs RossG and I are about to tie most of our free money up in a wee project sekret.gif so I don't have naything extra to add to the pot as such - just what the R32 is worth - and that will depend on what I can get for it from a dealer - as I'm not keen on a private sale from my house unless it's to a fellow tyresmoker.

So, for 14.5 - 15K and as new as possible - I'm thinking at the moment about the Ibiza - and would welcome any opinions...

Now Mrs RossG wants a year old 118d or 116i ROLLEY~14.GIF and I'm feeling the pressure to finally get something that she would like (the other alternative is a Vauxhall Tigra blush.gif )

I have thought about the Clio 197 and Focus ST and Meg 225 - but they are not really her cuppa - so not really in the running.

Of course, I could just stick with the Golf and hope that now that most of it has been replaced it should get slightly more reliable...

I do still love it - the looks, the howl etc - but the reliabilty is getting very tiresome...

Discuss... 169144-ok.gif

Ahh the 330d!!! there is a great suggestion!!! 169144-ok.gif

I would rather have the Tigra than a 1.gif

The Seat seems like a good choice though, PM SparkyUK re any qualms over the quality of Seat, Mrs Sparky has had a Leon for a while now and I know Sparky is very impressed with it 169144-ok.gif

I've only everything was as reliable as a Volkswagen eh? smashfreakB.gif

My parents have an Ibiza (1.2 SX). It's a small car, but having had the Fabia before I guess that doesn't concern you too much. They tried the Fabia too, but found the Seat a tad more refined (and got a good deal). On paper, the TDi 160 is a cracking little performer.

However, if you can stretch to a 120d there's no competition.

Tyring to stay away from anything that is more than a year old so unfortunatly a 330d is ruled out.

If we had any spare cash at the moment - I would have ordered a Le Mans blue 120d M Sport this afternoon - I have driven a 120d extensively and they are lovely - punchy with wonderful handling - and the M Sport kit just finishes off the looks nicely.

But it's too expensive at the mo - so hey ho...

grin.gif

Ibiza looks like a good car to me but from some angles it looks a bit ugly. I think you are really looking for a diesel so how about the Mondeo ST. More economical, quick and a bigger car than you have had before, which means that you wouldn't be able to compare it to the golf?

Is there an Alfa in your price range? Think there is a 1.9 150 bhp in there somewhere. Or how about a 6 month old A3 - you would still have the best part of the warranty.

Cheers for the comments guy's keep em coming.

Garcon's right - size isn't really an issue - as this would be kept for a couple of years max - basically as long as I would have kept the Golf before moving on anyway.

Sure, I'm probably going to take a bath on the lesser residuals of a new car in a couple of years - but frankly (at the moment) I feel that's worth it to have a car that won't have a hissy fit every couple of months.

Spence, have had the same thought myself - this time I would be more inclined to mod though jump.gif

Frazzle, I thought about an Alfa - Spence texted me a neagitve response though - although MrsRoss G is farily switched onto that idea - so perhaps.

Oh and Mittens slap.gif you will have me in a Tigra with comments like that! grin.gif

Ah well, we shall see - just got home and the R is sitting all clean and shiny on my driveway - winking at me about a Sunday evening blast ECLIPSe.gif

Shame its cooling fans are fecked then smashfreakB.gif

Ah well, it gives us something to think about dosen't it 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Of course, I could just stick with the Golf and hope that now that most of it has been replaced it should get slightly more reliable...

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought VW were reliable, hence the reason for purchasing a Passat (second hand 29K on the clock).

Nice car to drive but F**K me the problems I have had with it!! and the money it has cost!! and no a lot to do with parts that I would have thought should have worn out, tyres, brake pads I can put up with doing 30K a year but other things keep going wrong!!

I took the approach that so much has been replaced it should be more reliable but now have some error codes from Vag com diag done by fellow tsner and see a post to say that 1 of the errors will cost £792 to fix EEK2.GIF and that does not include some git hitting the drivers wing not badly but enough to make something rattle inside it continuously when driving!!!!

It is going in for 100K serivce in a couple of weeks and depending on what they say may go for sale soon after!! suicide.gif

I have a 130 Ibiza, had it now for 4yrs.

Pros - fast, economical (55mpg at 70-80mph), etc

Cons - noisy (I have added extra sound insulation which helps a bit), cheap looking plastic (relative to my A6), seats uncomfortable for me on longer journies (helped by £5 worth of foam cut to shape and inserted under the car seat cover - not sure if the seats are the same as the Cupra).

IMO R32 to Ibiza is going to be a hard one to swallow if you do lots of miles, but obviously you will be quids in on fuel.

Ross if you can stretch to it I would vote for the Leon 2.0 TDI as well.

If I was buying again then this would get my vote (well ok the FR 170 TDI one would).

I've put the car spec through drivethedeal and you can pick up the stylance 2.0TDI new for 15k......

Sorry to hear you've finally had enough of the Golf but I can certainly understand why.

I test drove one of these, and tbh I hated it. The interior was horrible, silvery painted plastic looked terrible. The trim didnt even seem to fit properly frown.gif

So decided to go for the fabia vRS - cheaper and although older, seemed better quality.

And yes my R32 is going too frown.gif

Funny old world as I was at dealers looking over a new car. vRS is a great wee car but I need something bigger and newer. Audi is bigger but getting old now and needs to be moved on.

Though about the Leon but still can;t come round to the less than mediocre interior!!!!!!!

MKV GT TDi is on the cards, 05 plates can be had for under £15k, higher mile one for £12.5k !!

smile.gif

Thanks guys keep em coming.

Interesting to see someone else moving on from an R. I came to mine from a Fabia - and I'm thinking about going back - as they are great wee cars for the money. The thing in the Ibiza Cupra's favour though is that it looks a lot more edgy and special.

Mind you - you can't get an Ibiza with xenons (which I've always had) or heated seats (which I've only just got used to!) but you can a Fabia...

The thing with the Golf is not just the problems - it's VW dealers aswell. We all know what's worng with my car (fans) and we all know it's a common fault. These guys are insisting that it's not a common fault and they don't think anything's wrong with my fans - and they want to charge me for 3 hours to find out... Which Warranty Direct may or may not choose to cover smashfreakB.gif

I do soooo love the car - but my big fear is something major breaking - although I've already had a new engine put in, so how much worse can it get ROLLEY~14.GIFgrin.gif

If it all turns out happy tommorrow - and the works done, and Warranty Direct agree to cover it - then I will bet I'm fickle enough to fall head over heals with it again. Until the next time suicide.gif

Oh yeah, and it needs new brake discs and tyres - so I need to make my mind up before expenditure like that yelrotflmao.gif

Cheers for the opinions so far though guys 169144-ok.gif