The Cayman...

Woppum

Is there actually anyone on this forum that has one of these? I was reading through an old Autocar last night where they reviewed it against the RS4, M3CS and the SLK55. They said the Cayman was the best and possibly the best Porsche ever made!! Its a big statement, but funnily I haven't heard of anyone actually buying one. I know of no-one, and you dont see that many on the road. Think ive seen considerably more RS4's!!

To me it just seems too much money. £55k with options for a performance car with under 300bhp seems too much. I like the looks of it, and the practicality of the hatch, but I cant help thinking its just alot of money...

What do you guys think of them?

The thing that gets me is, in every car range in the world that they bring out a convertible version for, the convertible is dearer. FAir enough, all that complex folding roof malarky.

Then Porsche bring out the Boxster, then a fixed roof version and, oh surprise, it's dearer! How does that work?

I've only seen 2 Caymans. I suspect most would rather have the Boxster, be able to drop the roof, and save money in the process! crazy.gif

If I had the dough - it's the circa 50K performance car that i'd buy. (or a weissmann 169144-ok.gif)

However i do think it is hampered by the fact that price wise it is too close to the 911 and it is a touch lacking in power - Porsche won't raise it though or it'll tread on the 911's toes even more!

[ QUOTE ]

The thing that gets me is, in every car range in the world that they bring out a convertible version for, the convertible is dearer. FAir enough, all that complex folding roof malarky.

Then Porsche bring out the Boxster, then a fixed roof version and, oh surprise, it's dearer! How does that work?

I've only seen 2 Caymans. I suspect most would rather have the Boxster, be able to drop the roof, and save money in the process! crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I was so surprised when BMW were actually pricing correctly with the New Z4M coupe - I thought they would do exactly the same as the cheeky b*stards at Porsche and charge more for the coupe, but good on BM, the Z4M soft top is a couple of grand dearer.

[ QUOTE ]

haven't heard of anyone actually buying one. I know of no-one, and you dont see that many on the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree, its really strange, like when it first came out it was impossible to spot, but in the last couple of days, ive seen 3 or 4, in silver and a dark blue-ish colour, and IIRC they were all on 55 plates.. well maybe 4, cos i know one is on an 06

which begs the question.. where were they all this time?

I've only seen a few since they were released. Maybe 5 or 6 total. Theres a black one always parked on one of my regular routes.

Considering how many boxters I've seen on the same plates, can't imagine what the ratio must be in terms of sales/production.

I test drove one back to back with a Boxster S and the cahracter of the two was completely different. Key word - WAS. Porsche have now put the same engine into the Box and any reason they had for the price differential (yes you can argue there are technical and torsional diffrences but the engine and bhp increase was it for most drivers) vanished. It is a great car and feels stiffer than a Boxster but you cannnot justify the extra cash anymore.

And let's face it, IMO, Boxsters are totally ace.

I believe I have only seen one Cayman, and it just looks like a hard topped Boxster with six inches cut out of the middle and joined together again, thus not aesthetically 'right' in my eyes.

It's in one of those fiercely competitive price bands and with it also being so close to 911 prices, you just can't see it being that popular.

Not for me anyway thanks.

One of my neighbours has a black one. Seems happy enough with it, black seems to be about the best colour. I'd get a Boxster S I think, especially as it now has exactly the same engine for 2007 MY (available now) and is still significantly cheaper. I'd expect the Z4M coupe to now start taking sales off the Cayman (although at least the Cayman is only ugly from the rear aspect FIREdevil.gif)

There is a guy on another forum that has had one for a couple of months. He looked at the Boxster S, but when he drove them back to back he thought they were quite different in terms of character and feel, with the Cayman worth the extra money. I think his came to about £50k with some extras e.g. Sport Chrono, which apparently makes quite a difference.

To give his findings some context, prior to the Cayman he owned an E46 M3 and VXT and he is a regular at track days (2 so far in the Cayman).

Well I'll be honest and say I've seen two (a red one and a black one) in Edinburgh and was pleasantly surprised.

What I mean by that is they weren't anything like as ugly in reality as in the TV/press shots I'd seen. I thought they looked quite nice from some angles.

Still think the Z4M Coupe has buggered their market up though.