Gutted like a fish

NeilB

I've just been to see a guy in Tyseley who has a good rep as a body repairer, about doing some work on the rust on my 02 plate 156 and it isn't good news.

It seems that the left side has been replaced (New quarter panel and doors) along with a decent paint job (Nothing showed up the the HPI about accident repiars)

BUT the prep on the panels was s**te to say the least, and the rust is almost a 1/4 of the way upto the panel, and it's probabaly chewing through the frame thats holding the skin on. It seems thats it was a basic press with no galvanising and just resprayed to get rid of it.

So I'm now faced with a £700 bill for the repairs, and the task of finding two bare doors for the left side so they can be painted and put back on.

I Can't really sell it as I've still got £3,000 to pay off and I'll loose out either way no matter what I do. My heart really is as low as it can get right now. frown.gifSAUER0421.GIF

There is an Alfa breaker in West Bromwich so I can give him a ring tomorrow morning. It has just really p!ssed me off, on the face of it nothing looks wrong until you take a really long hard look at it. i.e. Paint feeling rough underneath the door, the sill of the engine bay not lacqured in places.

[ QUOTE ]

Can't Chips Away just do something with it for now!

[/ QUOTE ]

Read Thorburns post. Nope! znaika.gif

If you spend hundreds on period William Morris wallpaper for your Victorian house and paste it on top of the existing wallpaper, if the original paper underneath comes away from the wall, there is no easy fix. The surface is fine, but the foundation is gone.

Here, I get the impression the doors weren't even stripped - merely a non-insurance cash job by a back street bastard* to make the car 'look' good for sale.

Ian

<font color="#666666">*Quentin Wilson, TG, expression </font>

***UPDATE***

I've been out this morning to get a 2nd and 3rd opinion. Both of them have said that they can grind out the rust and use a primer of stop it dead and then give the whole side a total respray. So no need for some new doors.

One gave me the price of £800, who mainly works on classic cars, he was working on rolling some metal for a side panel for a Roller when I met him. And the other gave a quote of £375.

Undecided which one to go for now, as I wonder why the second one was so cheap.

The first one said something along the lines of using a 2 part primer that will stop the rust developing further up the door and arches.

I'd like to go with the second one because of the price, but is it going to be a decent lasting job for that sort of money?