Modern Classic

FuntimeFrankie

Booked a customer only last week who was restoring one of those. Surprisingly easy - and not too expensive iirc - to get glass for. Many internal parts are shared with other BMW models, hence despite the 6 series rarity, the oily bits are not a problem. Other parts, such as for example a new door skin, must be a nightmare.

As for modern classics, that is a very poignait topic in the Clarke household at the present moment.

Ian sekret.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Booked a customer only last week who was restoring one of those. Surprisingly easy - and not too expensive iirc - to get glass for. Many internal parts are shared with other BMW models, hence despite the 6 series rarity, the oily bits are not a problem. Other parts, such as for example a new door skin, must be a nightmare.

As for modern classics, that is a very poignait topic in the Clarke household at the present moment.

Ian sekret.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When are you going to share it with the rest of us??????

So along side my Gt3 my modern classic would be...

Well id like to say E60 M5 but as that wont ever be a classic possibly the new RS4?

But that probably won be either. Maybach 57S is coming to mind (as its a second car) but that is just too big to have fun in...

This is hard something special, sporty and can be used every day. A modern classic...

Ok I know, easily:

LB_Ferrari_599_GTB__95412i.jpg

Good choices so far, I take it from the 6 and the rally reps theres no need to stick to peoples champions. With that in mind Woppum's got the right marque but absolutely the wrong model. F360 Challenge Stradale. Without question the best thing Maranello has put out in years, and the perfect synthesis of the Ferrari ethos without the compromises made for the marque's current footballing clientele. It pips the 996 GT3 in my opinion, largely because this kind of Ferrari is rarer nowadays, again due to footballers, whereas Porsche always makes a provision in it's range for the true enthusiast.

[image]http://www.exoticcarsite.com/image.php?image=/pictures/Cars/ferrari/360_challenge_stradale/ferrari_360_stradale-6.jpg[/image]

I got to try one on for size at the Birmingham show a few years back, along with a F575 HGTC and a Maserati Gransport Coupe.

[Damn it all! Someone give me the idiot's guide to getting an image up]

One of my company directors (now passed on) had a M version 635 like that but in red - Lovely beast! I've got some photo prints somewhere in an album still in a box but they aren't digital. He had a Lotus before that and always had fast cars. His father raced Bentleys at Brooklands and his son (a great friend of mine) currently runs a 937 Porky. Strange that all three generations are so into cars - Also their family name is Cooper-Driver.

Seeing pics of a 635 always reminds me of him.

if it could be any, i would agree with Garcon - UR Quattro......

But i am more than happy (or will be soon!!) with my Starion 169144-ok.gif

Appreciateing (slowly!! grin.gif) asset, track car and quick road car with stunning handling..... 169144-ok.gif Bit love or hate though - same as everything i tend to buy!!! grin.gif

IMG_1166.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Good choices so far, I take it from the 6 and the rally reps theres no need to stick to peoples champions. With that in mind Woppum's got the right marque but absolutely the wrong model. F360 Challenge Stradale. Without question the best thing Maranello has put out in years, and the perfect synthesis of the Ferrari ethos without the compromises made for the marque's current footballing clientele. It pips the 996 GT3 in my opinion, largely because this kind of Ferrari is rarer nowadays, again due to footballers, whereas Porsche always makes a provision in it's range for the true enthusiast.

[image]http://www.exoticcarsite.com/image.php?image=/pictures/Cars/ferrari/360_challenge_stradale/ferrari_360_stradale-6.jpg[/image]

I got to try one on for size at the Birmingham show a few years back, along with a F575 HGTC and a Maserati Gransport Coupe.

[Damn it all! Someone give me the idiot's guide to getting an image up]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the Challenge may well be different, but I was never keen on the 360, and the Challenge wasn't much faster round the track (slower than both the GT3 and the CSL). Apart from that for this thread I waned a car that would suit my everyday needs of popping to the shops and doing the long miles and I dont think there is a car id rather be in right now to do that than the 599. Looks arnt everything but the performance its set to have should be mind blowing. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

If it is I'll go for the Lotus Carlton- any car that is so fast is raises questions in Parliament gets my vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

....Then cast your mind back to 1967 and a certain Shelby Cobra getting caught at something over 140 down the M1....Fecking govn'ment and Barbara Castle promptly introduced the national 70 limit and they haven't updated their brains since! the_finger.gif Stupid twits!

ShelbyCobraLM.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Well the Challenge may well be different, but I was never keen on the 360, and the Challenge wasn't much faster round the track (slower than both the GT3 and the CSL). Apart from that for this thread I waned a car that would suit my everyday needs of popping to the shops and doing the long miles and I dont think there is a car id rather be in right now to do that than the 599. Looks arnt everything but the performance its set to have should be mind blowing. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it'll be the only F360 to really hold on to a fraction of it's value due to the rarity and the popularity among the real cognoscenti. I haven't actually seen one accurately timed against the CSL, Top Gear claimed it pipped the GT3 but I'm never sure how trustworthy their figures are. EVO never got a chance to lap it at Bedford because it broke noise regs. It's my choice because of the character and focus on pure performance, the Enzo would appeal to me but only for the V12.

F599 is a hell of a machine, but unlikely to be revered as classic, original F550 however, if the spec was right, could be in with a shout. 169144-ok.gif

Will you have a look at an F430 CS if they do one Woppum?