A4 2.0 TDI Dipstick

NickHodgson

Has anyone else had problems trying to check their oil level on 2006 2.0 TDI? I find it a nightmare to see as the dipstick is quite a dark grey - just a few shades lighter than the oil on it!

The range between Min and Max is also only about 10mm, so not great.

I'd wondered about getting some high temp white paint to stick on the Min and Max balls, but not convinced this will help.

Or of course I could wait for the low oil warning light to come on.... again!

Cheers

yep I’m having the same problem, my oil light came on the day before I travelled to France, I tried to check the dipstick, but it was just impossible to read, so I chucked half a litre in there and the oil light when out. I’ve got no idea if it was over filled, and the cap gives you a warning about over filling as it could damage the cat.. I think Audi need to sort this out.

Cheers for the replies guys, glad I'm not the only one having fun. When the light first came on my heart skipped a beat as I'd thought it said out of oil. I stopped pretty quickly!

I've done just under 7000 miles now and used approx half litre.

I had the same problem when I had a Megane, although that wasn't as bad as it also had an electronic gauge which you could use as a backup.

Could be worse I guess, the 1-series BMW's only have the electronic dipstick and you have to drive it for a few miles once you've topped it up for it to re-calibrate itself!

I might give Audi Wakefield a call to see if they've got any suggestions.

have found the same problem trying to read the dipstick. I was at my local dealer on Saturday for other problems (Like a new clutch required on a 9th old A4 2.0TDI S-Line with 10K) and asked the mechanic about this when we were on the test drive. His advice was wait until the light on the dash comes on.

I have problems with this, how low does the oil need to be before the light comes on, and can damage be done in the mean time. Ive heard of people (not Audi's) engines not being properly filled at a service and running out of oil without the oil warning light coming on as apparently the oil level is measured by pressure which doesn't change much with actual oil level, making it possible for the oil level to be dangerously low before warning.

I agree it's very difficult to make out the oil level, but not impossible.

I've now done just under 7000 miles and all but finished the 1 litre bottle that came with the car.

I bought a 4 litre bottle of oil from Halfords this afternoon. £42.99! Still cheaper than eBay though! crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Has anyone else had problems trying to check their oil level on 2006 2.0 TDI? I find it a nightmare to see as the dipstick is quite a dark grey - just a few shades lighter than the oil on it!

The range between Min and Max is also only about 10mm, so not great.

I'd wondered about getting some high temp white paint to stick on the Min and Max balls, but not convinced this will help.

Or of course I could wait for the low oil warning light to come on.... again!

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree!!! happened to me on A1 needed 1/2 litre @ 4.5K miles frown.gif

It because the moulding above the max mark picks up oil from the dipstick sleeve, and runs down and gives a false reading, takes me 6 go's and i still misread it tongue.gif

1st post lurked here for 3 years 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

His advice was wait until the light on the dash comes on.

[/ QUOTE ]

However hard it is to read the level,I find it incredible that anyone would tell you to wait for the light to come on.Let alone an Audi mechanic! smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course we could all try that one when we're making a warranty claim for a blown engine, I can just hear the laughter now!!

If Audi UK check these threads, can you do something about this please?!

169144-ok.gif

What do you mean Shark? I don't just stick oil in, however when the oil light comes on then it usually means that it needs oil. If you notice at the top of the thread, it's not particularly easy to read the dipstick on the 2.0 tdi.

Please could we have constructive help on here rather than comments that annoy!

I have to agree with Shark a little. There appears to be a few people that are simply pouring in the whole contents of their 1 litre 'courtesy oil', either before, or after the warning light comes on.

I check my oil every time I wash my car and I'd never let it get that low. It can be difficult to read the dipstick and I believe it could have been designed better, but it's by no means impossible and no excuse for bad oil management.

As far as buying new oil, I looked on eBay but found the prices to be ridiculously high, bordering on astronomical when you took into account P&P. I found Halfords the best place for it. Just check for the required oil code in your manual, then on the back of the container.

Audi Variable Serving requires the use of a certain oil. I would recommend sticking to Castrol Edge 507

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/store...electorGroupId=

or 4 litre

Fair point guys, wrist slapped and I will try harder next time!! (I just get annoyed when people post comments that aren't very helpful!) I guess I just need to be more patient.

I am good at checking oil and tyre pressures, just need to get the knack fine tuned on the Audi. The dipstick on the Mini is how it should be, approx 1.5 inches between min and max!

Thanks for the advice on the oil, I'll take my handbook into Halfords this weekend.

Rodney, you dispstick!