Vauxhall Astra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150bhp - Hatchback.

Riz

Right I`ve covered over 2000 miles now and its about time I did a small review... a longer one to follow soon ...

Right to cut a long story short due to money availability and having my own place I started to hunt around for a eco-friendly car to run compared with my previous cars.... R32 & S3!

I wasnt really looking at a Astra to begin with but after taking a small test drive I thought it was worth the price it was available to me for, was really suprised by its performance and handling.

Looking at the spec`s it doesnt really stand out much and is just plain looking like any other Astra... but because of this I can leave it at work, or a carkpark and not worry about it, unlike I did with my previous cars! grin.gif

Basic spec`s include:-

1.9 CDTi 150bhp engine pushing 315Nm, quite meaty when the cars weight is just 1345kgs!!! shocked.gif

This might sound strange but it really does feel very rapid.....

Its returning a min of 34mpg and the max ive had out of it is about 50mpg+ on a motorway run.... I would say the average is about 44mpg with combined driving styles......

The SRi model I have came with 17" alloys, CD, AirCon, sports seats, rear chrome exhaust, 6-speed gear box, coming home light function, fogs etc.

Handling

It really does handle good.... when pushed hard or in the wet the front end does go out but in a very progressive way, no drama at all..... not much body roll, handling is slightly affected with passengers onboard but not greatly.

Possible improvements in this area could be made with buying the sports suspension package from Vauxhall / strut bar.

Performance

Very good for a car of this size.... not upto VAG mpg ranges but acceptable.

After 2000 miles im returning:-

City 40mpg (33mpg lowest)

Eco driving like miss daisy in City 44-46mpg (alot of gear changing)

Motorway driving 48mpg + (53mpg highest)

The first and second gears are limited if I recall correctly and the top speed is about 142mph -/+ 5mph and it returns a nice 33mpg figure..... unfortunatle its limted to 4000rpms in 6th gear.... if this car was not limited perhaps it could get nearer 150mph..... which is a good figure for a car like this.. not at all what I expected.... very suprised.

shocked.gif

Possible improvements in this area are ECU Diesel Tuning Box, power rises to 200bhp with a massive 385Nm...... costs about £250.00 and takes 5 mins to install. (Self-fit)

Build Quality

Pretty solid with no major niggles, possible weak spots are the front seat trims which cover the lower belt system fixing, can replaced under warranty!

General feel is good and pretty acceptable from a car of this class. pengy.gif

Sound

Exterior sound of the engine and exhaust are just like a normal diesel.... but that was expected... its good to see that it has a normal chrome exhaust outlet pipe though... looks alot better!

Interior sound is smooth and quiet...... shame the sound system isnt that good.....

Possible upgrades can include ICE and the vauxhall sports exhaust system.

Overall

Overall I must say im very impressed with this car will save me alot of £££ in the long run..... its everything I expected and in some area`s alittle more.......

Min fuel per tank would be over 400miles

Road Tax would be approx £135.00

Servicing would be ermmmm not sure yet.. due in October!

Its a UK car so has full AA roadside assistance for 3 years, from new and UK warranty.

Not sure what else to say about it ermmmmm its really good grin.gif

Its not S3 or R32 good but it costs alot less..... im still tempted for more performance etc but trying my best to resist.....

More to follow soon...

Riz ECLIPSe.gif

Nice to see your happy with the purchase!

I have to say,that top end figure is mighty impressive,VX have done well to get it to achieve that.

The way things are going I reckon that'll be the norm for diesels a year from now and the phrase "quick for a diesel" will no longer apply.

You got to go for the performance upgrade though,imagine another 50+ lb/ft available in each gear.

Does anyone yet do a proper remap for that car or is it to new?

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Riz, you thought things were bad when you sold your R32 and ended up in an Astra, I'm drivng a Vivaro van FFS!!! Did you not look at getting an RS4?

Luke

[/ QUOTE ]Hi there Luke, actually had a deposit on the RS4 was nearly close to buying it but decided against it at the ver last minute.

I will get back into a performance car in the future once I can afford it properly.

Riz 169144-ok.gif

Good review Riz.

My other half has an 1.7 CDTi(100bhp) Astra Design current shape. Engine is brilliant and is averaging 50.4MPG across all driving, handling isn't bad and it has loads of toys in it for the price we paid for it.

You don't need the badge on the front to get a great car these days unless you have some image complex that is. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Its returning a min of 34mpg and the max ive had out of it is about 50mpg+ on a motorway run.... I would say the average is about 44mpg with combined driving styles......

[/ QUOTE ]

Im a fan of that FIAT unit myself much smoother power delivery and more usable powerband than the VAG units imo.

Don't sell it short on mpg either it does get about the same as my parents get out of there VAG units (1.9TDI130 & 2.0TDI140) in real life driving.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im a fan of that FIAT unit myself much smoother power delivery and more usable powerband than the VAG units imo.

Don't sell it short on mpg either it does get about the same as my parents get out of there VAG units (1.9TDI130 & 2.0TDI140) in real life driving.

[/ QUOTE ]Mines just covered 2400miles so im sure the mpg will get better still.....

Riz 169144-ok.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Riz good review there.

The astra 150CDTI is a cracking motor.

My wife had one (55reg)before she got her VXR.

It was very nice to drive.

I fitted one of our tuning boxes to it and the car really flew.The car produced just under 200bhp & 300ft/lb torque. and it totally transformed the car.

I have a vid somewhere of the car on the rollers I'll try and dig it out and put a link up.

I ran it at Santa Pod a few times and it was running low 15's which aint bad for an oil burner.

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Riz good review there.

The astra 150CDTI is a cracking motor.

My wife had one (55reg)before she got her VXR.

It was very nice to drive.

I fitted one of our tuning boxes to it and the car really flew.The car produced just under 200bhp & 300ft/lb torque. and it totally transformed the car.

I have a vid somewhere of the car on the rollers I'll try and dig it out and put a link up.

I ran it at Santa Pod a few times and it was running low 15's which aint bad for an oil burner.

[/ QUOTE ]Yup it was a rapid oil burner.. but now my dad has it... ive moved onto a John Cooper!

Riz laugh.gif