Hello, and a question - Fault or Feature?

Paintguy

Hi all, first time A8 owner here smile.gif

I've just managed to get myself a '95 4.2, and I'm loving it! Fairly unassuming looks that don't attract too much attention, but mash the loud pedal and it'll show most things a clean pair of heels grin.gif

But you lot will know that already, so onto my question if you don't mind:

This car has so many toys built in, that I'm not sure if it's supposed to do this, so I thought I'd better check with the experts. I'll be sitting in the drivers seat (engine running), and a passenger comes to get in front. When they open their door, the drivers seat slides back about an inch confused.gif Can't for the life of me think why it happens, but it does. Have I found an electrical gremlin already?

Thanks for any replies,

Andy.

Does the car have the electric memory pack for the mirrors/seatbelts/drivers seat & steering wheel?

If you can replicate what happens, try it again with after depressing the 'memory' botton (red one by the leccy window switches, drivers door).

It might be poss that the interior light switch in the drivers door aint working so the earliest supply of power its getting is when the passenger door is opened and the inch movement is where that ignition key is prog'd? blush.gif Sorry, its a big straw I'm clutching at, but you've had over 10 views and no replys so I thought I'd have a guess 169144-ok.gif

So to shoot me down, go check if the interior light comes on when you open the drivers door....

Genius!

Yes, I meant to say that 'memory' was switched on, and since I haven't driven it in the dark yet, I haven't noticed the drivers door switch wasn't working, until I've just checked.

I set the seats etc up, and programmed the settings into the memory, but after a bit of a drive, I felt more comfortable a little further forward. So I think it's doing exactly what it should, i.e. returning to it's memory position (slightly further back) when the door is opened. It's just that it isn't registering a door opening until a passenger gets in, due to the non working switch.

Thanks a lot for your help, such an easy solution, but it just didn't dawn on me until you mentioned the switch! smile.gif

Result! Welcome to TSN PaintGuy.....so go on give us a clue, what do you do, and where's the pics of your mota? laugh.gif169144-ok.gif

Oh yeah, and keep an eye out for the Midlands meet in the Meets forum, and every now and then a few of us in the Sheffield/York/Hull area get together for a bite to eat and a beerchug.gif or two laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Result! Welcome to TSN PaintGuy.....so go on give us a clue, what do you do, and where's the pics of your mota? laugh.gif169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a random guess based on my username wink.gif

Actually I'm a painter, based at a small, family run bodyshop in Sheffield. The A8 will mainly be for the wife to run about in, as my daily drive is a fully restored 205 GTI (pictures ).

The Audi's paintwork isn't in quite as good condition, hence no pictures of it yet, but a few days in my care should see it gleaming again 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, and keep an eye out for the Midlands meet in the Meets forum, and every now and then a few of us in the Sheffield/York/Hull area get together for a bite to eat and a beerchug.gif or two laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do.

I go to a fair few meets with the 205 lads, but I'm sure I can squeeze a few more in.

------------------

One more question whilst I'm here: I've had a look for the rogue switch, and I can't see it! After a bit of playing about it seems to be built into the door catch, is that right?

Cheers,

Andy.

Hmmmm, body guy in Sheffield, a TSN member too.......my A8 in need of some tidying, could be worth us getting together my friend 169144-ok.gif

There's a 'mini-meet' in York next Tuesday if you fancied coming on up for it. Shark_90's coming up from Worksop, it's about an hour at normal speeds 169144-ok.gif (check the Meets forum) 169144-ok.gif

A place called APS Ltd in Aughton, near Swallownest.

The more I look at the paintwork on mine, the less happy I become with it. I believe the colour is called Amethyst Grey, and my original intention was to paint 2 panels, and polish or touch up the rest of the little chips and scratches. Depending on how i feel tomorrow though, I might just end up painting the lot!

It's already had a bit of paint at some point in the past, and the bonnet is ever so slightly off colour, so I might as well just put in a couple of extra hours work and do it properly.