Forgotten/overlooked cars over the years

sayerbloke

Looking at my calendar at work today gave me an idea for a post.

Basically, in this thread I'm looking for cars that have been forgotten or overlooked... Maybe because they just didn't sell as well as their competition even though they were good cars in their own right or maybe because they were models their manufacturer would rather we actually left forgotten! I'm thinking cars like

the Bugatti EB110

bugatti_EB110.jpg

the Venturi Atlantique

venturi_atlantique.jpg

or the Isuzu Piazza

c_01a.jpg

Ideally if you've got any interesting nuggets of information about them stored in your mind, write those down too. It'll be a good way of learning something new or maybe just reminding you of a car you'd forgotten even existed [something along the lines of "Does anyone else remember the xyz?"].

This thread might die a death pretty quickly, but I figure it's worth a shot!

Over to you smile.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could add the Renault Alpine A610 to that list as well (sorry no Pic) IIRC it had the same turbo V6 as the Venturi and cost about the same, always fancied one as a weekend fun thing but there seem to be very few around. Oh and wasn't the EB110 the first supercar with a V12 & no less than four turbos!

[ QUOTE ]

You could add the Renault Alpine A610 to that list as well (sorry no Pic) IIRC it had the same turbo V6 as the Venturi and cost about the same

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe so. The Venturi was mid-engined whereas the A610 was rear engined, iirc.

[ QUOTE ]

Oh and wasn't the EB110 the first supercar with a V12 & no less than four turbos!

[/ QUOTE ]

V12, 4 turbos, 60 valves, 4 wheel drive, 0-60 in about 3.5 seconds... and then they decided that wasn't fast enough so they made an EB110 SS! Mad Italians!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Oh and wasn't the EB110 the first supercar with a V12 & no less than four turbos!

[/ QUOTE ]

V12, 4 turbos, 60 valves, 4 wheel drive, 0-60 in about 3.5 seconds... and then they decided that wasn't fast enough so they made an EB110 SS! Mad Italians!

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw one at the local Bentley dealer not too long ago in Blue, had to go and have a look at it. Was stunning any smaller than you think in size. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The MG RV8

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw one just yesterday, no idea what the hell it was! I guess this thread will share useless knowledge between us all. 169144-ok.gif

Here's mine:

905892-DeTomasoGuara.jpg

DeTomaso Guara. Unveiled circa 1993, built on an aborted Maserati race prototype chassis, pretty, petite, damn shame it never made it. They built about 50 up until 2004, and there was a Spider and very rare Barchetta.

The firm remains privately owned, but went into liquidation following the death of the founder and a contract to build a 4WD for Eastern europe fell through.

post-14808-137914372073_thumb.jpg

Harry Metcalfe of evo magazine fame had a 340R for a while.

He was a bit pissed off when he found out they had to take the whole body off to change the clutch. Oh, and even more so when they said they'd have to change the whole shell when he scuffed it a bit with a hedge... tongue.gif

All in all, an awful lot of (expensive) hassle for something no more fun than a decent Caterham.

[ QUOTE ]

What about the Renault Spider? smile.gif

Renault_spider.jpg

Only ever seen one on the roads... curiously, that was about two months ago!

[/ QUOTE ]

I nearly bought one of these. My wife worked for an affiliate company to Renault and could have saved 20% on one. They were around £20k IIRC.

No roof though, which is a bit of a bum in the UK!

[ QUOTE ]

1049144011-t16calle.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I sooooo wanted one of these when I was 10...

How about the Caterham 21? Massive boot, Astra boot handles for the doors, loads of space inside- but fixed side windows and a roof that would stump the most expreienced tent builder. Killed by the Elise (as was the Renault).

906365-2CA.jpg

I've only ever seen one, in the Caterham showroom.

post-11862-137914372086_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The MG RV8

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw one just yesterday, no idea what the hell it was! I guess this thread will share useless knowledge between us all. 169144-ok.gif

Here's mine:

905892-DeTomasoGuara.jpg

DeTomaso Guara. Unveiled circa 1993, built on an aborted Maserati race prototype chassis, pretty, petite, damn shame it never made it. They built about 50 up until 2004, and there was a Spider and very rare Barchetta.

The firm remains privately owned, but went into liquidation following the death of the founder and a contract to build a 4WD for Eastern europe fell through.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this car every time I go to St Tropez in yellow. Then totally randomly I saw it in Paris too a couple of months ago. The same car. Got very excited. Ugly as feck though... tongue.gif

I saw a maybach yesterday in W1. First one i've ever seen.

TBH, i just thought it was the new S class or something, didn't even pay it that much attention. No road prescene whatsoever. mind you who buys a car like that in bright silver anyway tongue.gif (only black IMO) and if you really want to make a statement, or spend a large mortgage on luxury car travel, why wouldn't you take the Phantom or the Arnage.

[ QUOTE ]

Its not about making a statement, its simply about having the best car for the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

The job of carting it's occupants around in superior luxury, a job which IMO the RR and the Arnage will do better. And I have to beg to differ... anyone that buys a luxury barge for over £200k IS making a statement, even if they claim they aren't. cool.gif