£15k to spend on a prestige (ish) estate

JamesB

A mate has just had his second child and feels that his 3 series saloon isn't big enough. He has about £15k to spend and wants to get an estate of some description.

He wants a certain 'level' of badge (don't bother fighting it, i've already tried) - to give you some idea, he said no to a Passat but would consider an A4.

I can't see much beyond a B6 A4 Avant (?1.9 TDI), 3 series Touring (?320D) or Merc C class estate (don't know muh about Mercs) but don't really know enough about their relative merits.

What would you get? And why?

Well buying a B6 A4 Avant 1.9 TDi would be silly IMO.

That's because they're nothing like the spacious wagon you might imagine. If he's come from a 3-series I can tell you we get exactly the same luggage in my wifes 320d saloon as we get into the A4 Avant. It's very much form over function. My other thoughts on the car are well published, but if he wants super economy then there is little better.

I'd be tempted by a 2004 Merc E Class Estate, possibly in E230 form. They're very spacious indeed and if he's a badge person then Mercs seem to do it for those that know little about driving dynamics.

He'd also get a 5-series Tourer, new shape, for that money if he shops around. It'll be low spec and low engined, but it'd definitely do-able.

Just seen the high-mileage comment.

Forget the Merc and BMW, and the Audi too, he doesn't want either of them. It's a miracle he needs.

avoid the A4 Avant - i kid you not, there is more room in the back seats in my new Megane - and that has Recaros fitted!!! If the driver and front seat passenger are 5ft 0" tall, then ok, there may be some room, but forget it........

A6 or big merc - the C-clsss merc is the same as the A4, but a fraction larger...... naff build quality (actualy, the estates weren't too bad as they were german built) and laughable service costs, so avoid main dealers....

If it was my money, an A6 1.9tdi with a remap..... 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

He'd also get a 5-series Tourer, new shape, for that money if he shops around. It'll be low spec and low engined, but it'd definitely do-able.

Just seen the high-mileage comment.

Forget the Merc and BMW, and the Audi too, he doesn't want either of them. It's a miracle he needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I say high mileage, I mean no ageing classics with 100k+ on the clock.

I would say A6 sport avant, far more room than the A4, ride is less crashy and the handling on them is pretty much the same as the A4 too.

I sold mine.....

http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/670768/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

for £16k in the end and only got that because it had Nav and was a good colour combo, there were the run out 2005 model 'Final Edition' cars going for only a little more with hardly any miles on them at all, and they came with full leather and Nav as standard as well as a few more toys.

If he doesn't mind something that is 3 years old then look at the 5 series touring too, you can pick up a really nice E39 sport with leather for around the £15k mark, and they are in a different league to drive.

You can get a great car for that money or thereabouts.

Also though unless he is buying cash why mot get a new car and do a finance deal with a balloon payment at the end? Can actually work out cheaper than buying a 3 year old car for £15k.

There is a 2006 A6 avant 2.0T for £20,950 on autotrader, if he got them down to £20k he could just pay the interest on the extra £5k which is only £30 a month, and £30 a month has to be worth it just for the fact it is a new car with full warranty and no maintanance costs surely?

I would go for a nice T5 volvo V70, great spec, well made, and a bit different. OK, I'm biased as I have had 2. The V50 is nice, but really small (its a Focus in drag). The V70 does not ride as well as a Beemer, but the engines (esp the T5 and TR5) are nice, 5 cylinders, loads of torque, sounds great. Even my new diesel (D5) has 185 bhp, 400 Nm and 0-60 in 8.5 secs, not bad for a big bus. Oh, they eat tyres BTW.

The 5 series is a bargain, the image is not everyones thing though, and the A6s look good, but aren't that quick. E Class merc is cheap but feel like a barge. Oh, how about a Legacy for something different ?

All good suggestions and all much appreciated beerchug.gif

I know he doesn't like the Saab that much and am not convinced he'll go for the Alfa (lovely looking car and not bad to drive IMO but reliability issues). I'll float the Volvo suggestion and also suggest moving up to the A6 again, as it seems a lot of people agree with me about the space side of things.

The driving experience isn't all that important. With respect to the person involved, to them a car is more a method of getting from A to B than something to enjoy for its handling and ride (so Garcon, although I like your thinking, unfortunately it would be water off a duck's back). So I'll also see what he thinks about an E Class. And of course I'll see if he wants another Beemer.

As for the Legacy, I think that might be a step too far for him (although again, I personally think they are a good car for the money).

Thanks, all. 169144-ok.gif