Hot Engine Bay

Rayza

Yesterday I went to fill up my washer bottle and noticed the engine bay was very warm/hot. This was approx 1.5 hrs after my drive home from work (45 mins and 35 miles). Not noticed this on any other car I have owned.

The engine temp gauge is fine so I can only assume it is the FSI engine.

Is this normal and has anyone else noticed this? Or am I reading too much into this?

Probably readint too much into it. The turbo gets very hot as does the engine block itself. With the bonet closed there is not much oppurtunity to dissipate heat. As long as the engine temp gauge is showing normal when you drive then I wouldn't worry too much.

You have a turbo! You'd be amazed at the temperatures these things get up to. Next time you're out for a drive at night, pop the hood when you get home - I wouldn't be surprised if you see a red glow from the Turbo after you've switched off.

The S3, even in standard form, gives off immense heat. I remember when it was new and I drove it in shorts for the first time - stood by the drivers door the heat coming out of the the bottom of the car was incredible - I thought I was going to lose my hairs.

In fact you won't believe the temperature at all. I once was curious and logged my exhaust gas temperature with Vag-Com....

Anyone want to hazard a guess? grin.gif (Its the engine exhaust gas, not that which comes out of the pipe! tongue.gif )