New S6 - looks like the depreciation's started!

Tizzy

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

Well at the last count there were 7 on Autotrader and 9 on Audi plus I know my local dealer has 2, saloon and Avant that they can't shift but isn't advertising so as not to put it's current S6 owners off, so there must be around 20 around to purchase even at this stage.

[/ QUOTE ]

They tend to do that initially - don't advertise them or advertise them at way over what they would take for them. However, come next spring there will be dealers still sitting on demo cars which will be hurting them hard. At that stage bids in the low £40s for cars advertised at c£50k will be accpeted.

There is alot of rubbish being talked about the new S6. I prefere the firmer ride of the S6 over the S8 (Its not that much firmer than a normal S Line A6). I have always felt the air suspended A&S8 feelmuch to detatched. I also think the S6 has a nicer interior, but obviously this is purely subjective.

There are alot of Demos around at the moment (every dealer group was made to run one). This is why so many are unsold. It is no different to any other new model when it appears. 6 months after the 3.0TDi A8 was launched there were over 120 cars on the Audi Web site!.

The S6 fares no worse than any other £55K saloon, but yes it will be a second hand bargin. If I wanted a big 4dr it would be my choice.

[ QUOTE ]

I suppose the thing is, what I really want is an S8. Knowing that, would I ever really be happy with an S6? How old will S8's be when they get to low £40k's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not very old - my 4.2 Petrol Q Sport was £38k at eight months old and spec for spec the S8 is about £10k more new so allowing for the rarity of an S8 I would say under 18 months old would get you to <£45k.

[ QUOTE ]

How old will S8's be when they get to low £40k's?

[/ QUOTE ]

My 20 month old W12 (list £78k, paid £67k) went back to the dealer for £36k with 39,000 on the clock, which is what they're knocking it out for now. It's a bargain actually, the car's got the service & maintenance plan on it, and that's a lot of car for the money.

All it will take is a little more taxation on larger cars, and S8 prices will possibly fall faster than the W12s did, so look out for a 38,000 miler S8 with a few extras at Lincoln for under £45k in about another fifteen months.

Actually, on the "used car" site, Lincoln are hawking a zero mile S8 that hasn't even arrived yet, with parking camera and TV, for £64k apparently. crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

FWIW the market appears to have gone against big engined petrol cars with so much speed that this time next year the trade values of the intial S6's on 06 plates could begin with a 2 (and I'm not joking).

[/ QUOTE ]

You ain't wrong fella! Anything big and thirsty is getting hit far harder than they used to crazy.gif

Don't forget that this will also have the effect of pushing the whole A6 range down in value. Certainly Audi dealers won't be able to have an S6 on their forecourt at a cheaper price than a car from lower down the range. It would seem that Audi have shot themselves in the foot with the S6 crazy.gif

That would explain why the S6 on my local dealers forecourt has no price on it (in fact it's up on display ramps so you could see a dash mounted price unless wou were 7' anyway!)and isn't on the approved website or any other for that matter. People will no doubt still perceive it to be more expensive than the A6 they are buying when they do not have the info. in view.

I'm now clear of a 'down period' when i had gone completely off my S8 and wanted to chop it in just for the sake of a change.

However i am now seriously enjoying it again. So much so that i'm even considering just keeping it and running it till it dies (it now has almost 100k on the clock and is worth very little trade now).

That said, i would seriously consider chopping in Mrs C's A6 for an S6 Avant within the next 18 months if they did continue to drop at that rate. Whether Mrs C would appreciate the increased fuel bill is another matter 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Don't forget that this will also have the effect of pushing the whole A6 range down in value. Certainly Audi dealers won't be able to have an S6 on their forecourt at a cheaper price than a car from lower down the range. It would seem that Audi have shot themselves in the foot with the S6 crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder whether at three years plus, an 3 litre diesel tip wuld be worth more than an S6?

Update - went back this morning to have my new brakes checked (OK apparently) and commented to the tech about the rather forlorn looking S6 sat outside - he said "Yes, not much interest in that, everone wants an RS4 or those with more cash are waiting for the RS6 or R8" He reckoned anyone coming in with a sensible offer would be able to take it away! Still got lots of depreciating to do though, so not yet for me!