Skiing for the complete novice

lottiefox

OK, I've made it to a far old advanced age and have never been skiing..... smashfreakB.gif

A friend of mine is keen to go next Feb/March and I think it might be a bit of a fun. 169144-ok.gif

They are a pretty good skier and I am going to be left on the learning slopes falling over, which I don't mind. BUT, I want a place where there is a) good scope for beginners and likely to be other people falling over all the time b) plenty of other stuff to do as well as skiing in case I hate it. Any suggestions? I want a nice place to stay in as well, I like creature comforts. grin.gif

My other concern is that my knees are not the strongest bit of me. frown.gif One of my kneecaps grinds and I avoid things like running bacause they hurt afterwards. I will probably check this out with the doc (did see him years ago about this and he recommended some operation but said it wasn't essential) but am I likely to be doomed if I try skiing? How hard is it on the knees? Would I benefit from knee supports and/or trying it out on a dry ski slope first? confused.gif

Thanks all. beerchug.gif

Lottie

I guess you're looking at Europe not the States. The States is actually a very good place to learn but a long way to go to find you don't like Skiiing.

I would try to go to quite a high resort in the Alps. The problem with most resorts is that the beginning slopes are usually at the bottom of the mountain (as you would expect) but can suffer from a lack of snow as a result.

I find knee braces essential but make sure you get a good set. You don't need to spend a fortune but the brace needs to able to restrict lateral side-to-side movement to be effective.

Try and get used to wearing boots and skis before you go and learn how to get up once you've fallen down. Can be very tricky and awkward. Knowing how to get you skis off after falling can be invaluable 169144-ok.gif

And always get some lessons from a ski school wink.gif

Good Luck grin.gif

skiing is not that bad on the knees as long as you dont try nail all the runs and at your level shouldnt be too bad. My dad has no cartlidge (sp?) in one of his knees and only wore a neoprene brace (not like my proper waterski jumping ones) so its just soft support, he did have a sore knee most of the time he was there but found that a can of ralgex, a can of freeze spray and a few beers he was all happy and thats for 9-4:30 skiing every day for 2 weeks.

Head for your nearest Xscape and get a beginners lesson on the real snow slopes they these have - you'll soon know how your knees feel and if you like skiing, without the outlay of a load of cash. Milton Keynes and Castleford are both good ones. Also from experience I'd be wary of going with good skiiers as a complete beginner - you won't see each other much if at all during the days (which might be a good thing depending on your point of view!)

I went with a mixed group of about 12 friends for my first trip and loved every minute of it. I was only about 19! tongue.gif

I don't think it matters if you don't see your friends until the evening as you can all swap (and embellish) stories over a glass of wine. grin.gif

We went to Courmayeur in Italy and I've just nicked this from the Mark Warner web site:

Courmayeur is a relaxed, sophisticated town. It has an excellent snow record, backed up by one of the most impressive snow-making systems in the Alps - but that's only half the story. In Courmayeur food and shopping are taken as seriously as skiing. Mornings are leisurely, lunch is long, and evenings are spent strolling round the cobbled streets and chic shops, or sitting over a drink in the Via Roma, enjoying Italian life at its most stylish.

grin.gif Lottie - skiing is brilliant, you will love it jump.gif

grin.gif If your knees are not the strongest part of you then skiing is definitely a better choice than snowboarding - very hard on the knees and wrists 169144-ok.gif

grin.gif For a nice mix of piste for all levels including beginers I'd be tempted to go for a catered chalet in meribel - go there on the Eurostar ski train direct from Waterloo to Bourg St Maurice (non stop, no changes) then its only 30 mins up the mountain to the resort - no 2.5 hour transfers from the airport 169144-ok.gif

grin.gif Have a go at the snowdome or somewhere similar, I wouldn't reccomend a dry slope, its much harder to learn on than real snow and gives you friction burns when you fall over yelrotflmao.gif

grin.gif Shout if you need any more info 169144-ok.gif

Lottie,

I went skiing for the first time last January to Ischgl, in Austria. I went without ever getting lessons, which in retrospect was a mistake. I play a lt of sports and would consider myself very agile, so I thought Id fly thru the skiing. How wrong I was. The first 3 or 4 days were spent trying to stop, turn, slow down etc and to be honest I was sick of it.

The last 2 days I went out and I decided to go for it, sh@t or bust, and everything just clicked. I was up and down the slopes like a looney.

If i were you id get some lessons b4 you go, just so you wont be frustrated at the start of your hols and get a turn against it.

Im off to Kitzbuhel on the 6th January and cannot wait beerchug.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I learnt to ski in a resort called Seefeld in Austria, beautiful looking resort, great instructors. So much so that I want back the second time time I went. Flaine in France is also supposed to be good, as they have a different way of teaching you, by varying the length of skis that you use.

I'm of to Tignes on Sunday - can't wait - first time I have been in a few years.

Val Thorens in the three vallies is also good as its so high that its guaranteed snow. Not very pictureesque as there isn't a single tree there. Meribel also would be good as there is plenty of pres ski. can't go wrong with the three vallies. If you do good try to fly into Chambery as the transfers are a lot shorter, and they are generally Sunday flights. This means that you get to ski on the Saturday and its a lot quieter as its the main transfer day 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I learnt to ski in a resort called Seefeld in Austria, beautiful looking resort, great instructors. So much so that I want back the second time time I went. Flaine in France is also supposed to be good, as they have a different way of teaching you, by varying the length of skis that you use.

I'm of to Tignes on Sunday - can't wait - first time I have been in a few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

This the way most France resorts do it.

Tignes will be a scream ! The Espace Killy is a fantastic place to ski - a good weeks skiing there grin.gif

You've got me well excited now. Yep that run into La Daille is great - former women's Olmpic downhill I think - double M if I remember correctly.

Not a beginners resort though - as most runs seem to be under graded. They has been lots of snow if the last week, but it has been very cloudy and a few white outs in the last couple of days.

Can be very bleak - I remember being on a a lift (Tommy's I think) just wishing I could get off. I had my face in my hands and could hardly even see my feet.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This the way most France resorts do it.

Tignes will be a scream ! The Espace Killy is a fantastic place to ski - a good weeks skiing there grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like a good way to learn. Never had a lesson in France.

[ QUOTE ]

You've got me well excited now. Yep that run into La Daille is great - former women's Olmpic downhill I think - double M if I remember correctly.

Not a beginners resort though - as most runs seem to be under graded. They has been lots of snow if the last week, but it has been very cloudy and a few white outs in the last couple of days.

Can be very bleak - I remember being on a a lift (Tommy's I think) just wishing I could get off. I had my face in my hands and could hardly even see my feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Womens DH is a giggle (make sure it's clear before going straight down UHOH7.GIF )

If you are feeling brave do the Olympic DH (le Face de Belvarde) - now that is fun...

[ QUOTE ]

part way down it goes thru 2 large boulder!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that sounds scary.

I have watched someone take a small child across a ridge and down the Grand Couloir in Courcheval - now that looked proper scary, it between two rocks faces, and the ridge that you need to traverse isn't much wider than your skis - and a shear drop both sides - should be a brown run 169144-ok.gif

Thanks for the info Simon - great maps too 169144-ok.gif

Went skiing for the first time last week and we went to a resort called Nendaz which is near Verbier in Switzerland. Had some private lessons and these were 110% invaluable. The resort had lots of small slopes to learn on and some really lovely scenery. The town was not outrageously expensive either (£3 for a pint).

Loads of snow there at the moment.

Hated the first day but after day 2 it all clicked and I started skiing properly.