Scratch X vs Quik Clay

Hellfire

None of them are easy to use, maybe the clay bar might be a bit but the thing is, they both do different things.

Clay bar removes contaminants embedded in the paint like tar and stuff. Run your fingers over your paint work and if it feels kinda bristly...and not glass like, it needs the clay bar / detailer treatment.

Now scratch X, will remove stains on your paint and also smoothen out or remove those swirl marks.

Think I'm right on this one. wink.gif

Surely they both make the paint smooth and flat like glass...so the end result is similar if not the same...has anyone done a test on this..? It would be good to know the results, and I'm sure the othe forum members would like to know too!!!- I think Bushy needs to get me some samples..!!! UHOH7.GIF

Indeed the comments abovve seem to be right

Basically the Scratch X has mechanical cleaners, so it will take off a small amount of the top clear coat to remove minor scratches and imperfections, although it is not as harsh as T cut you get the idea. I think T cut is a good example as most people know that it is an abrasive and removes the top coat of paint to reveal new unblemished paint. Scratch X is not as harsh

Where as Quik Clay has no mechanical cleaners it is like using a sticky bit of putty to pick up squashed flies, tar spots and sap that has started eating into the paints surface but it does not remove any of the top coat of paint

Each product is for use for different reasons

When you say you have contamination, what sort?

Hope this helps

Bushy

When I say contamination, I guess it's just pollution from cars, trucks, road grit, tar spots etc...I wash the car regular using only Meguiars products, but when I wax there still seems to be light specs of stuff which is still stuck to the car, I just apply more pressure and it seems to go away. Thus my enquiry regarding scratchX- i know it removes swirls etc ( all cars have swirls) and this helps, so why do i need a claybar? ( or does this remove swirls too?)

Incidently what does the bodyscrub wash product do?

Hellfire,

My paint felt rough. Plus it had swirls. I used scratch x but still the paint wasnt 'smooth as glass' Bushy sent me some quick detailer with clay bar- boy that stuff is the dogs danglies. I didnt find it hard work either. Just spray on the detailer (smells nice too) and lightly rub the clay bar over the surface, turning it occassionaly. Then applied a wax to finish and it certainly is as 'smooth as glass' now.

The clay is recommended