Caugth at 118mph - UPDATE

maddenmark

[ QUOTE ]

I hope it was bone dry, daylight and empty of traffic. NONO3.GIFgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually in all seriousness was it? If not how much would you happily add for each one?

Wet vs dry - 20mph?

night vs day - 20mph?

traffic vs empty - 20+mph?

It'd be easy to get to 118 wink.gif

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

why should I pay more for the same offence as someone on a lesser salary....??

[/ QUOTE ]

Think of it this way: Why should a Pikey work for a week to pay off his fine when you can pay yours in a morning?

[/ QUOTE ]

The pikey should get a better paid job? coffee.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I agree in principle, Hibbsy. However, it gets a little impractical on country B-roads to drive so slowly as if there was a man with a bicycle lying in the road around every corner.

I'm sure most of us here are agreed that there's a balance between driving so fast that you couldn't stop in time to avoid a potential accident scenario, yet fast enough to progress with some degree of enjoyment and without paranoia. If you go around thinking that you might catch flu from someone, then perhaps you would never leave your home and go out at all!

[/ QUOTE ]

OK Red you've convinced me I'm undoing the dead bolts and removing the face mask as we speak smile.gif

Seriously I agree with you, i think we just have slightly different views on risk.

Hi Hibbsy,

I'm afraid that I have relatively unusual views on risk, based on my life's experiences and I don't expect everyone else to think the same. I basically believe that everything that happens is meant to happen whatever we do or don't do. That doesn't mean that I'm a total fatalist, nor that I don't take great care to avoid catastrophes, but simply that I accept things happening and I do believe strongly in luck and/or being 'looked after'.

I hasten to add that I don't drive 118 in the UK unless blah blah blah. Having safely driven my car at its limits in Germany I now feel far less inclined to explore those limits in the UK.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hey I'm impressed smile.gif I know I had a rant about the photo but I still believe that it's irresponsible to do this on public roads even assuming the driver is a world expert in speed and car control. There'a always some idiot changing a tyre in the fast lane when you least expect it wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I love quotes like these its almost saying it would be the speeding drivers fault smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Hey I'm impressed smile.gif I know I had a rant about the photo but I still believe that it's irresponsible to do this on public roads even assuming the driver is a world expert in speed and car control. There's always some idiot changing a tyre in the fast lane when you least expect it wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I love quotes like these its almost saying it would be the speeding drivers fault smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly where blame lies is somewhat irrellevent when you and a score of others who happened to be using the road that day are dead.

As for the idiot who stopped in the fast lane as stupid as his actions may have been death is perhapes a little harsh in terms of just reward. Natural selection you could call it but for the fact that others are likely to get caught up in the carnage.

So I'll stick by what I said (for UK roads at least) that speed is just too fast for all the reasons I mentioned regardless of how good other factors vaguely in your control may be at the moment in time you choose to do it.

[ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

Botang - does it matter who's fault it was if you're dead?

[/devil's advocate]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which raises an interesting question. (Well, I think it's interesting!)

Insurance companies obviously won't issue insurance policies to people who are dead and it's buried in the T&Cs that they revoke policies for people that die. In addition your driving licence ceases to be valid when you kick the bucket.

If you cause an accident and then subsequently die you'd be covered because you were alive at the time the accident was caused.

What happens if you die *before* you cause an accident? I mean, I could be driving down the M27 listening to a Bernard Manning 8-track, have a mirth induced heart attack and die instantly.

My Berlingo-of-doom could trundle on for a good few hundred yards at incredible speed after my actual death causing carnage.

Would the insurance company cough up? Would they argue that my policy was revoked and licence invalid at the time of death and therefore refuse to pay out on the crash?

Looking forward to fitting it....!

Really enjoy the European speed limits when I am over, and superb smooth roads. Can recommend France to anyone who wants a nice driving holiday.

Saw speeds of 130mph whilst there, and was still being passed by 1.2 Renault Clios!!!

Also saw my first S6 Avant in Black. In Germany and running with the LED front lights on and quad exhasts..... Lovely.

You've got to love Autobahns! 135 top whack in the 2.0T Quattro Avant and palms were sweating a little! Very different to a 55mph speed limit and the Touareg in the US.

Hope you are mending well!! Have some more stuff I want, so be in touch when back next Wednesday smile.gif

Dan.

169144-ok.gif