Replica Wheels

Tunbridge

I’d like to know what the general thinking is on replica wheels. I fancy an upgrade to some 18” RSTT’s or something similar. There are some really tempting deals out there on replica wheel/tyre packages but are they any good?

I’ve heard a few people mention that they are heavy compared with the ‘proper’ manufactures wheels and hence all that extra un-sprung weight can upset the handling. Has anyone experienced this? Surely they can’t be that much heavier, can they?

Also what’s your experience on the quality of the wheels, is the lacquer going fall off in 2 minutes?

Should I just look for a second hand set of OME wheels and get them reconditioned?

I've had 6 sets over the last 7 years as at the price they are you can afford to change your mind.

The current ones weigh the same as OEM and the last ones were 1lb lighter.

However that's my reps. The problem with reps is you don't know if you're buying the same as me or something different.

Reps come in different qualities and hence you can't just say reps are good or bad.

p.s. Contact me if you're in the market to buy sekret.gif

Replica wheels do vary in quality and price.

I don't think Audi OEM wheels are that good anyway, I am sure some people will disagree with me as I think BMW make better alloys for their cars. smashfreakB.gif

IMO most of the better replica's are made in Italy and are usually only a few pounds heavier.

Visually it is hard to tell the difference between replicas and the real thing, the only way you can tell is by looking at the centre caps. The OEM centre caps have a bevelled (raised) Audi sign and the replicas a non raised sign - which incidentally does tarnish after a few months.

I would prefer to go for replicas with a decent tyres than OEM's with cheap tyres. beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I would prefer to go for replicas with a decent tyres than OEM's with cheap tyres. beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tyres are another story, but you are right, cheap tyres are a sure fire way to mess up the handelling of your car.

I find it hard to beileve that people cut corners and buy cheap tyres. After all they are the only contact you have with the road and can be the difference between stooping yourself or using the back of somebody elses car smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I find it hard to beileve that people cut corners and buy cheap tyres. After all they are the only contact you have with the road and can be the difference between stooping yourself or using the back of somebody elses car smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how much money you have, and how much you are concerned about your safety. I would never put cheap cr@p on any of my cars.

Hi I had F1's fitted and the handling was awesome, they lasted 30,000 mils too, fitted to OEM RS6's.

I just changed to Toyo PROXES T1-R's fitted to replica S4 Avus alloys, the wheel feels a lot heavier than OEM however handling is awesome in the dry, not too good in the wet.

Cant beat F1's IMO, worth the extra few quid just to keep your car on the road.

post-9614-137914390868_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Did you get that price from here??

http://www.falkentyres.co.uk/index.asp

[/ QUOTE ]

No they were more expensive,the price I got was fromn a small company in Glenthorne Rd in Hammersmith (Glenthorne Tyres)and thats fitted.

Kris on here recently fitted them to his TDi Q,and has had them previously ,no problems what so ever with them,they are meant to be excellent in the wet especially 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I just changed to Toyo PROXES T1-R's fitted to replica S4 Avus alloys, the wheel feels a lot heavier than OEM however handling is awesome in the dry, not too good in the wet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting as i reckon the Toyos are fine in the wet, certainly better than the factory Rossos, also very much quieter.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting as i reckon the Toyos are fine in the wet, certainly better than the factory Rossos, also very much quieter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to F1's in the wet that is

[ QUOTE ]

hello has any 1 had PIRELLI pzero what did you think just got some, just wondered if any good and how long they would last sorry its posted here!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I had them before I had the F1's, they didn't handle as well and suffered from road noise too, stick with the F1's

Mike