panasonic plasma tv

GARTHY

Okay chaps I think it is a straight fight between the Sony DDW890 and the

Yamaha AV61 PAckages.

I am leading towards the Sony due to more connectivity [for future proofing inc HDMI connection] but I am a little put off by the extra rear speaker and figure 5.1 sound would be better for me....also Yamaha better sounding maybe?

Attached is a sketch of the room. The TV/SKy?Xbox/Amp would all go on an AV Glass stand in the corner.

I am not sure what to do with the rear speaker though:

I can put the rear right on a stand in a space between the 2 sofa but no space for a stand for Rear Left.

Can I instead mount them [high] on the wall behind the back sofa?

Also whilst the DDW890 does come with speaker cables, what other cabling will I need?

1242727-livingroom.JPG

post-3709-137914408256_thumb.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if you had to choose between the Yamaha RXV361 with either Tannoy FX5.1 or NSP110 speakers or the Sony DDW890 which would you buy?

I was getting very keen on the Sony but can only seem to find it for sale at PIxmania and their returns policy [France] is harsh and also I note the HDMI connection is switching only so not that much of a bonus over the Yamaha?

Much of a muchness between the 2 kits?

The last Sony product I bought was the amazing STRDB-930, the overhauled verion of the 925. It was a landmark amp for its day and was a good successor to my Yamaha DSP A590. Ironically I had a Tannoy Mercury package with both amps, both of which gave a lovely soundstage, albeit the 930 in 5.1 and the 590 in Pro Logic. The Tannoys were a fantasstic speaker for the price. My brother in law now has all of this kit and it still sounds great.

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah the strb930 was a great product, I got loads of mates to buy one and most still have it, things just seem to be getting cheaper now and corners cut. Mind you wasn't the 930 £599 rrp when released?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had real problems sourcing my 930 back in 2000, but managed to find one in Richer Sounds Liverpool Street. Was £415, with an optical cable and warranty thrown in.

That reminds me, I still have a Pioneer DV 717 in my attic, was used probably 10 times, if less. How much would one of these fetch on eBay??

I'm not aware of any HDMI switching that can switch sounds as well. I was asking about this the other day myself while looking at ordering a new Denon Blu-Ray DVD and Denon HD Amp when they are released. Iasked the question and was told there wan't anything with HDMI that could switch sound at the mo.

I may be wrong....but I tend to trust these guys with their info. Have spent way too much money with them over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

well I connected up the TV, sky/vcr/dvdplayer and xbox last night.

Picture quality is awesome and that is even without my new Philux Thor Scart [still await!], and with the contrast etc all low to run-in.

In truth a 42" tv is slightly overbearing for the room size and 37" would have done [wife disagrees and her first comment on seeing a couple of cm on either side of the tv free was "see, we could have gotten a bigger one"!!] but hey sheer presence was part of the fun!

Thanks again boys.

I haven't hooked the amp up yet mainly as I need to plan speaker placement properly. The subwoofer is huge and I will need to decide what to do with it.

Having bought 20m of the symphony 100 speaker wife [in a lurid metalic orange colour] I opened the speaker box to find that there was already a subwoofer link in there was well as 5 runs of small black cable [2x10m and 3x4m].

I am in a dilemma now. It is nothing more than "bell cable" I think but it is really thin and discrete and would be much easier to run around for the FL and rear surrounds.

So do I struggle to cable-manage the symphony stuff or stick to the small black cable?

sorry chaps another "dilemma":

the subwoofer would fit on the lowest glass shelf next to the amp.

I plan to put the front centre speaker on the floor under the TV stand in the middle.

Does the sub need to be on the floor or will it be okay here? I am unlikely in "normal" time to have it pumping away and when needed for cinematic orgasmatron I would always just bring it out?

I'll consolidate both streams of enquiry into this thread!

Here is what the current [music not-yet-wired] setup looks like:

1250646-Presentation2.gif

The left [as I look at it] speaker has to on its side in front of the tv otherwise it obstructs it. The Front right [as I looked at it - is that the correct orientation?]

sits upright on the window ledge.

The Centre is currently in the middle on the floor.

If i Have to bring it nearer the TV that means putting probably putting vcr +/- dvdpplayer under the amp on the lower shelf [or on the floor].

Solid Core Mains cable - you mean that thick grey stuff? Or the white core you attach to plugs? I take it I just don't use the earth if you mean the latter??

Better than the symphony 100 stuff I was about to use?

post-3709-137914408883_thumb.gif

I'd be inclined to get the centre speaker off the floor and as close as you can to the screen to tie the dialogue to the pictures. I think that's the most critical speaker as far as positioning goes.

Can you not move the sub somewhere else altogether - under a coffee table somewhere, or behind a sofa? Positioning not as critical with the sub, although you might need to play around with how far off the wall it is for best sound if you put it in a corner. That way, if you can't locate the centre on the top shelf of the cabinet, you can at least get it on the middle shelf and shift your electronics down.

I'd also try and move the front left speaker (and to a lesser degree the front right) a little further away from the screen to aid seperation and improve panning. Can you wall mount the front left on the chimney breast (or mantlepiece if you have one)? I guess the speakers are pretty small and it would probably only take one screw.

It took absolutely ages for me to decide where things finally went, when I replaced all of my kit and it's still a bit of a compromise of neatness over sound but it's a pretty good balance. Without a dedicated cinema room, it's always going to be a trade off.

If you can't move the left and right speakers apart I would put all three on that shelf.

You need to get the centre as close to the screen as possible though, it will sound rubbish that low.

Can you not attach the speakers on the wall either side of the panel?? Even if there is not gap.

Then put the centre underneathon the top shelf.