M3 pricing

Dave

I have to say that i totally agree with Harry Metcalfe from Evo magazine :

[ QUOTE ]

... Trouble is, the list price has grown accordingly and has now tipped past £50,000, rising to closer to £55,000 once you've ticked a few tasty option boxes. I used to think the M3 represented the perfect stepping stone between the Gold GTI and a 911 but not any more. This one seems to be competing almost directly with Porsche's £61,000 icon

[/ QUOTE ]

I really couldn't agree more.. and Audi are doing the same with their RS models. They seem to have forgotten what segment they appeal to. I would take a 911 every time over the german uber saloons, and if you price them too close, that is exactly what is going to happen.

It is very true Dave. I have an place on the list for the M3 saloon, but I am seriously having 2nd thoughts with regards to the price. I could pick up a nearly new 911 for less money, or alternatively the new Alpina B3 biturbo for nearly 15K less (and the headline performance is pretty much the same!)

I felt that Evo were being a bit unfair with the pricing comparison as 911's come with poor spec and to list the base price of one is very misleading. Away performance wise you need a 997S or 997C4S rather than a basic 911 and then metallic etc etc is extra. it wasn't a fair comment really.

It has enough presteige to compete with a 911 IMO(same with rs4). its as fast and has 4 seats - so appeals to a larger market. + lots of people will have an M3/RS4 + a boxter/lotus/s2000 etc etc.

still expensive though - S4 & 335i are the 'old' M & RS and M and RS are now seen as more upmarket??

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Iwould be disapointed with anything above 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be shocked at anywhere near 10 ROLLEY~14.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the CSL does it in 10.5 and in facy so does the RS4...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wapps there is a big difference between 10.5 and 10

The new M5 0-100 = 9 secs, running 114 more BHP. SMOKE6.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Iwould be disapointed with anything above 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be shocked at anywhere near 10 ROLLEY~14.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the CSL does it in 10.5 and in facy so does the RS4...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wapps there is a big difference between 10.5 and 10

The new M5 0-100 = 9 secs, running 114 more BHP. SMOKE6.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the new M5 does more like 9.8 and a 996 turbo does it in 10 (not X50). Still dosent mean the M3 cant. Autocar guessed 10 seconds...

I'm looking forwards to a drive in one regardless. I still remember what my RS4 felt like and know what the TT feels like so should be able to get a good comparison.

I recently had a rolling 30 -140MPH sprint with an E46 M3 and the TT devestated it. The new one will have to be in a different league to keep up.

Oh, and back OT, perhaps the regular M3 is nipping at £60k so the next CSL won't seem so over priced tongue.gif

We all have a bit more money in our pockets at the minute, but I think if interest rates continue to rise and the economy slows. Cars like the M3 or rather its pricing are going to suffer a lot IMO.

Its all well and good stretching the pricing upwards when the things are going well, not so if they aren't IMO. crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Is yours an X50 Ben? Im always supprised the Turbo only gets 10 to 100. Still its the in gear times it stomps on. M3 does it in 11.5 so that is quite a big difference in the real world...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, std car running std boost according to the boost guage. Bastard quick though and it has to be Milltek time soon too grin.gif

The thing that got me from the Evo article about the new M3 is how it is more Ferarri V8 than Audi V8 - and that is just sexy in my book 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'm looking forwards to a drive in one regardless. I still remember what my RS4 felt like and know what the TT feels like so should be able to get a good comparison.

I recently had a rolling 30 -140MPH sprint with an E46 M3 and the TT devestated it. The new one will have to be in a different league to keep up.

Oh, and back OT, perhaps the regular M3 is nipping at £60k so the next CSL won't seem so over priced tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see how the next CSL (IF it happens) will be much less than £70k here in the UK..

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see how the next CSL (IF it happens) will be much less than £70k here in the UK..

[/ QUOTE ]

Which will just be plain daft for a 3 series (which is all a CSL starts life as), especially when the 997 GT3 starts at £80k and I know which one I'd have without even driving either tongue.gif

Yes, I'm with you too.

Look at Audi's new RS6 (not bi-turbo being announced now!! (told you tongue.gif)) and they are still looking at around £70,000, even more...

that is just ridiculous for an over-weight 6 series. Yes, it'll have a fsi V10, and be quick.. but for that money...

etc etc

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'm with you too.

Look at Audi's new RS6 (not bi-turbo being announced now!! (told you tongue.gif)) and they are still looking at around £70,000, even more...

that is just ridiculous for an over-weight 6 series. Yes, it'll have a fsi V10, and be quick.. but for that money...

etc etc

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed that RS6 news Dave...please point me in the direction sekret.gif