How long until 997 GT3 starts to loose money?

Ben

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

I'm seriously in love with the GT3, it is the finest looking 997 derivitive by far grin.gif

Drool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.. until the GT2 came along... but seeing as that is way off my budget I'll still be looking after a GT3..

I was soooo close to a 996, but i already see some 997 around at £80K (4000 miles)

It'll be at least 18months before any around 60K i reckon.

[ QUOTE ]

£80k now, when will they be £60k? Anyone know how long it took the Mk2 996 to drop £20k?

I'm seriously in love with the GT3, it is the finest looking 997 derivitive by far grin.gif

Drool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite some wait still Ben. A lot will depend IF a mk II 997 GT3/RS is launched in 2008.

If you had 2 years in mind you wouldn't be far out. Or you could just it funded well and get it next year... znaika.gif

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

It was my impression that a whole new 911 chassis - 998 or whatever it will be called - was soon to arrive after Porsche themselves fully admitted the quarter three 2004 997 was more of a facelift than a new model.

Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Ian,

where did you see that comment/story attributed to Porsche 997 please?

The 997 that was launched in Q3 2004 has an immense list of major improvements over the 996 and it was a totally new model in itself....

Gareth

[ QUOTE ]

The 998 will be for 2009 launch Summer '09) and that will be 2010 model year.

The 2008 997 (from 2009 model year - Summer '08) will have direct injection and the launch of Porsche's dual clutch system to replace Tiptronic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if I could afford a Gt3 I think id be put of by the fact they dont offer a propper paddle shift. I wonder if a DSG box would be good enough to change my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

In roughly a year's time i will be mortgage free and hopefully be in a nice financial situation.

I'm going to be looking for a car that i will keep for 3 years + .

For the first time i will not be buying and thinking what about resale , this baby will be for me! That doesn't mean i want to buy new and lose shed loads either, so i'm thinking of a 1/2 year old vehicle that had been pampered.

The car has to be something special, something that's really exciting to drive and be able to do contintal trips with relative ease for two people.

As i already have an Atom this new vehicle will be mainly used for road use but i still want to do 1/2 trackdays per year in the vehicle .

It's really comes down to

997GT3 - have to be in white with buckets ( unlike my previous one, which i did out in comfort spec - what a numpty ) thinking £60000/£70000

997GT3 RS which would have to be in Black/Orage or Viper Green but i just don't know if it would be worth the extra and if so would I really be able to notice ?

Mind you those stickers do look good smile.gif

£70000/£80000

997 Turbo ( Manual ) £65000/£80000

430 F1 , i'm thinking these are on the verge of losing a lot of money, and in a year or two i should be able to get a nice one for £85000/£95000.

The problem with the GT3/RS is that front spoiler, i use to catch my previous one all the time and very quickly it started to piss me off.

With the Turbo , i just dont really know if i want 4WD on a sports car ?

The fezza looks/sounds fantastic but i here all those horror stories and i'm not sure the image is really me.

[ QUOTE ]

997GT3 - have to be in white with buckets ( unlike my previous one, which i did out in comfort spec - what a numpty )

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't tell me you ordered normal adaptive sports seats, Air Con, Sat Nav, auto dip rvm and auto wipers? ROLLEY~14.GIF

Ian

Went to look at the R8 for the first time, close up at my local dealer. Interior very nice , love the back not so sure of the front. £85000+ for it though - no way .

What really did it was that two people i know have bought 360 fezza's. In about 2 years time when the hysteria has died down i just can't image it mixing with a lightly used fezza / Gt3 / Turbo etc.....

Saying that, if their price's drop by a huge amount and the warranty provided is still reasonable it could be a very nice bargain.

No offence implied. It's just a real shame for the engineers to put so much effort into obsessive, anal details for their ultimate naturally aspirated 911 for you to pile the pounds back on with options!

Details such as lifting the 10kg-each carbon buckets straight from the now defunct Carrera GT, casting hollow camshafts, titanium con rods, 19" alloys that are lighter than the 18s on the 996 GT3.....

Some weight cuts are admittedly to reduce inertia of moving parts in the engine to increase performance, but look at it this way - those extra few bhp are completely negated by adding 50+ kilos of stereo, air con, comfort seats and navigation into a 1355kg GT3 [with PCCB added but AC deleted].

Ian

None taken... it's hypothetical to me anyway.

I do see your point - the GT3 has alot of high performance and weight saving technology built into it, so to spec it up as a comfortable daily driver is a bit, um, wasteful. If you want a daily driver 911 get a Turbo (or a spec'd up C4S).

If I do ever get a GT3 it won't be a daily driver - it'll be stripped out and for weekends only. 169144-ok.gif

You can apply the same argument to the CSL but I bet many people will go hunting for one with all the options - I certainly would if I get one again.

The leather buckets in the GT3 are a hefty expensive option, around 5% of the car cost IIRC - so I can see why people don't bother.

I'd be all over comfort spec if I could afford one, plus I'd add rear seats and belts grin.gif

I bet a 997GT3 RS would be worth quite a lot less without Air/Con than with.

I totally understand where you're coming from Ian, but in the real world i and 99% of people that would drive a GT3 would not be able to make any difference in lap times with a few kg saving in weight.

I remember this argument on the Porsche forum's regarding weight. If people are that serious about lap times and getting the absolute limit from a Porsche, then a GT3 is not the car for them . They should get a Cup version!

WHo want's to drive for a few hours in a car that has no aircon on a summers day ? Or a trip into europe with a crap stero ?

Not me anyway bike.thumb.gif