[Audi A3/S3] Looking for an S3

Puntoboy

Hi guys,

I'm after a bit of advice. I'm serious considering getting an S3 but want to know if there is anything I should look out for when going to view. Anything that's going to be costly to repair, that should have been replaced already, recalls, that kind of thing.

I had a quick chat with a mate of mine who is clued up on VAG cars and he told me to check that the water pump and cambelt had been replaced, but is there any thing else?

I have £12k to spend so I'll be looking at the earlier S3 in Imola Yellow, but as late as possible, say 2000/1/2. Is this feasible?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

ECLIPSe.gif

Should be easily possible - they have '01 cars in the dealer network at your budget - so private should be easy enough.

You might struggle with the colour - best colour they made, esp with the matching trim, so less of them around.

I think it was around '02 where they did the model revision - 225 engine output instead of 210 and few other small changes.

Ahh yes, that explains why I was getting different figures off different sites so thanks for that.

I am willing to hold out for the an Imola Yellow one as I'm not really keen on other colours.

Is mileage an issue with these cars? I started off looking for them below 60k but there isn't that many about. Seems to be more in the way or 80k.

Thanks for your input.

If you wait long enough - they built some 8l S3s in Papaya Orange as well - V rare colour, and stands out as well as the Yellow does.

Depends on what your plans are, but I'd look for one with a Symphony head unit (Makes upgrade to Nav easier), Bose is nice to have. You will find some with the Alloy mirror caps (I think this was after facelift), some with 18" RSstyle 9 spoke alloys instead of the 17" Avus style.

Aaah.. Imola S3, my colour of choice when I had one 169144-ok.gif 01 plate, sold at 35k miles about 18months ago.

As for problems with an S3, I couldn't advice you really as mine was a friday afternoon car and went in for loads of things however, when it behaved, I loved it.

Normally I'd say, check service history, make sure its had cambelt changed, coil packs have been changed under recall, haldex oil/brake fluid changed at some point depending on mileage/age of car, I think there was a recall also about some clip on the exhaust. If it wasn't done, when it rains, your exhaust will knock big time underneath the car. Not very apparent as only happens in heavy rain from my experience.

All I can think of for now and please dont get one with the yellow seats...it's just too much then.. Black Leather / Recaros and you have a top car mate 169144-ok.gif

Thanks guys. It's proving quite hard to find an Imola Yellow one but I'm a persistent git so I will wait. All my cars have been yellow, it's by far the best colour car to have laugh.gif I am not sure on the yellow/black interior, I've seen some pictures that make it look good, and some that make it look horrible, yet to see it in the flesh.

Thanks for the tips of replacement parts. Gives me something to go on.

I don't have any plans for it. Maybe a remap but nothing much else. I have my Punto to play with, this will be my *cough* sensible *cough* car.

The yellow and black interior is absolutely gorgeous. Our old S3 was Imola yellow, yellow and black interior, chrome mirror caps and BOSE. Double DIN symphony would have been perfect. Lovely, lovely car. Interior sounded strange, but in the flesh was so, so nice!

Chaz

When I went through driving all these, the curpa is great - but once you chip, the 270 bhp through the front wheels gets a little tyre shredding whith the power being harder to put down. If you fnacy some modding then I'd go with the 4wd option (as rwd isnt available frown.gif )

[ QUOTE ]

Any advice greatly appreciated.

ECLIPSe.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy wisely and you'll be fine. I bought a lemon and paid dearly.

As you mentioned, a careful owner would have changed the cambelt at appx 60k along with water pump, and auxiliary belt (the pump fitted at factory had a plastic impeller which breaks over time. Replacement pump has a metal impeller). Think the tensioner should have been replaced at this point too, but no sure.

My steering rack also failed. £700 replacement. Obvious signs are howling noises from the PS pump under stress, an appetite for PS fluid and leeky rubber bellows at either end of the rack itself.

Suspension bushes also prone to wear and tear.

Then you've got the more common problems such as MAF sensors and Diverter Valve failures. *Reasonably* cheap/easy to fix DIY style. Plenty of info on the forum about this if you do a search.

And there was also a recall (only pre 2000 models IIRC) for the rear control arms which were prone to snapping.

Just follow the advice already mentioned and you'll be fine (just avoid Imola Yellow! Absolute Red's the ONLY colour worth having (that's why I had a silver one crazy.gif)

Good luck searching and enjoy 169144-ok.gif