RNS-E Retrofit DIY or Not

Hi,

I'm toying with the idea of a RNS-E retrofit for my 05 Audi A3 Sportsback.

I have checked out plenty of forums on the subject including navplus.us and I pretty sure

I could cope with the install as I have the double din non-Bose Symphony head unit and most

sites provide a comprehensive parts list.

I do have some questions unanswered such as where to purchase the RNS-E from, where position

the GPS receiver and what can I add to it - bluetooth phone, TV etc.

Or should I get it fitted by one of the retrofit gurus - Craigyb and PetrolDave come to mind as I read some great feedback on them. I'm based in the Midlands but always happy to give the car a good run.

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers

Phil

I think it depends how much of a learning experience/hassle you want. If you are thinking of fitting it yourself then I am sure you have the necessary skills with some instructions to do so & get it all working. I fitted a VW MFD to my car & it needed several "goes" to get it right & all working as my car came with an upgraded stereo which made the install more complicated. I have subsequently added blue tooth (basic Nokia variety) & integrated it (mute/play through speakers) with the sat-nav, I know the Audi ones can have proper BT integration.

If you want a one time install with no hassle & support if there is ever a problem as well as your car being dealt with by someone who has seen it all before & will know how to cut the dash etc. where necessary then get one of the experts to install it & make your life simple. If you enjoy projects like this, have the time & patience to get things right & want to learn more about your car then install it yourself - both are different but good choices !

If you have a Symphony or other double DIN radio then there are no mechanical modifications at all.

If you get an RNS-E plus the correct adapter lead (plus antenna adapter and GPS antenna) then the actual install takes less than an hour.

You need 4 radio removal tools and VAG-COM - since you have an 8P A3 you need a CAN lead for VAG-COM (micro-CAN, HEX-COM+CAN or HEX-USB+CAN), and since you'll need to recode the CAN gateway you'll need VAG-COM version 6xx or later to get the long coding helper.

After the install you should expect to get a ZF antenna error code on the RNS-E - this is because the antenna wiring in the car is different with a factory installed RNS-E.