Most expensive brake light bulb ever...........

Andy_R

Popped into the dealer yesterday for a brake light bulb for my A4 Avant - test drove the S5, OMG.

Went back today, now waiting for my S5 to arrive. Only shame is that I have to wait until December for delivery.

Test drove the 3.0Tdi but can't live without the V8. jump.gif

Spec as follows :

Meteor Grey with Magma Red Leather

Cruise Control

Heated Front Seats

6 Disc Changer

B&O Sound System

Advanced Key

Comfort Pack

Parking System Plus

Hill Hold

169144-ok.gif

Think that's about it, just have to count the days.

Never been a fan of Sat Nav, I am pushing the budget as it is and £2k for Sat Nav is just not justified.

I suppose the other reason is that I don't often go places where I need Sat Nav, plus my wife always says half the fun of getting somewhere is getting lost, you get to see places that you wouldn't otherwise see.

[ QUOTE ]

Never been a fan of Sat Nav, I am pushing the budget as it is and £2k for Sat Nav is just not justified.

I suppose the other reason is that I don't often go places where I need Sat Nav, plus my wife always says half the fun of getting somewhere is getting lost, you get to see places that you wouldn't otherwise see.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good to have from a re-sale perspective.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good to have from a re-sale perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the time you get rid of the S5 in a couple of years time, ALL the cars will have Sat Nav (even Corsas have it as an option now..). I think an S5 without SatNav will be less easy to sell...

[ QUOTE ]

Sold my A4 without any hassles without Nav.

Someone on here will be able to retro-fit it much cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

A4 is older. Audi a bit behind the times and satnav not as standard as it should be.

But A5 is newer, so satnav is expected!

[ QUOTE ]

Popped into the dealer yesterday for a brake light bulb for my A4 Avant - test drove the S5, OMG.

Went back today, now waiting for my S5 to arrive. Only shame is that I have to wait until December for delivery.

Test drove the 3.0Tdi but can't live without the V8. jump.gif

Spec as follows :

Meteor Grey with Magma Red Leather

Cruise Control

Heated Front Seats

6 Disc Changer

B&O Sound System

Advanced Key

Comfort Pack

Parking System Plus

Hill Hold

169144-ok.gif

Think that's about it, just have to count the days.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would ditch B&O (standard system is fine), Hill hold, Advanced Key (had it on my A8, wouldn't pay for it) and the fancy parking system (Rear sensors are fine).

The guys are right on Nav. When you sell it could hit you by more than the £2k it costs.

Nice to see people going for the S5 - the performance is so close to the RS4 in the US tests referred to here and the performance Autocar got out of the 3.0tdi was disappointing. If they introduce Magnetic Ride as an option then I might join you all.

Give him a break guys! :P I think its a great spec and who knows if he even cares about the residuals w/o SatNav? (PCP/PCH)...

i certainly wouldnt drop the B&O if i was ordering an S5 (im an audiophile wink.gif ), but then again i wouldnt be particularly bothered about Sat Nav either!

Sounds like a cracking car you got coming Andy! 169144-ok.gif (hoping ill be able to stretch to one when it comes time to change my car next year...)

It will be harder to sell the car when it comes on the second hand market, but on the other hand it will allow someone to get a cheap S5.

The MMI system can be retrofitted to the S5, but it would require a lot of parts, which would not be cheap if purchased for your local dealer. I'm sure in a few years time these parts will appear on ebay a lot cheaper 169144-ok.gif

I know it's just what the salesman said but ...

he told me that X5's without satnav have a trade in £2k less than with.

As stated about in 3 years time (or whenever you sell) SatNav will be more and more expected.

The salesman gave his comments that effectively costs you nothing but I reckon in 3 years time satnav will be a lot cheaper so it will cost but on a car of the S5's value I reckon it's required....even though it's not as good as a £200 TomTom crazy.gif

p.s. Bluetooth prices are an even bigger rip off!

Ditto on Bluetooth. The Parrot with LCD display on my Beemer only cost £200 fitted and is better than most factory ones IMHO.

Nav is a pain. The Audi Nav is very poor but you will be hit £2k minimum on resale without it. Glasses says a £2k hit for many cars without nav but the reality is more. Remember that if the hit is £2.5k then even including cost of capital, nav is free.

Sorry guys still not convinced on the Sat Nav. I'm not suggesting that anyone is wrong but I can't see the point in paying £2k for a substandard nav system which I won't use. Maybe iamwithstupid.gif

I understand the point about residuals so although I bought the car from my local dealer in Scotland I thought I'd have an unbiased (ish) chat with the dealer close to where I work in Liverpool.

His view was that having the Nav would make it easier to sell the car, he also acknowledged that I would get less when it comes time to change (but it would cost more at outset). What was key to me was that when I asked if the the nav would make a £2k difference to the residual the answer was a definate 'no'.

For me it's a personal preference and hopefully not a financially disasterous decision. Even if it is I cannot bring myself at this stage to pay that sort of cash for a system I'll likely not use.

I appreciate the comments and the discussion did make me take a step back and think. I'm happy and if I'm wrong you can all say told you so in a few years time wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I'm just pleased to see that someone has the balls to buy an S5. Great car, enjoy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If only it had Mag.Ride, Merlot and I agree, we would be with you. Anyone got word on when this might be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Asked my local dealer that very question today before I took their demo out. His "best information" was at least 12 months, possibly 18 months. I wouldn't take that to the bank but I guess thats relatively quick in the grand scheme of things with Audi. He reckoned nearly everybody personally interested (private buyers not company car) in the S5 asked about Magnetic Ride and DSG!

I heard 'sometime in 2008' but no more detail than that.

My first test drive was only for fifteen minutes or so, but a lot of it was over crap roads and I thought the S5's ride was very good indeed as it is - a marked improvement over the S4. Though of course, MR would be the icing on the cake.