Coilovers installed

NeilScarrott

At long last I have completed the coilover install, I thought I'd share a handful of photos of the results. This has been something I have always wanted to do, indeed I have been talking about this for nearly two years!

The install was torture in parts, but the results are worth it beerchug.gif

A full technical writeup will follow, I'll pop it in the technical section beerchug.gif

Some befores...

DWCoiloversFinishedBefore1.jpg

DWCoiloversFinishedBefore2.jpg

DWCoiloversFinishedBefore3.jpg

Some during...

DWCoiloversFinishedDuring1.jpg

DWCoiloversFinishedDuring2.jpg

DWCoiloversFinishedDuring3.jpg

Some afters... (needs a clean, but that will have to wait!)

DWCoiloversFinishedAfter1.jpg

DWCoiloversFinishedAfter2.jpg

DWCoiloversFinishedAfter3.jpg

DWCoiloversFinishedAfter4.jpg

I'd really like to make the same change on my B7 2.0T FSI SE.

Couple of questions ... (I'm not a spanner user, so apologies for daft questions..)

Which coilovers did you buy?

Where can I get same from?

(I've found this...

These say 'street comfort and drop 40mm for a B7 saloon)

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?id=428721

Why did you choose coilovers instead of just lower springs?

Do you know anyone in the M25 J18 area who can fit these?

Can you tell me the drop in ride height you got?

Sorry for all the questions .. so much to learn.

Great looking car ...

Here's a link to my car's ride height problem! ...

(Yes they are 18" wheels , and yes they do look a bit lost!)

Image019.jpg

Image018.jpg

that looks much better Neil!

I'm tempted to drop mine 30-40mm (from s-line suspension) but at the rate i'm going i'll be swapping it again soon (too many miles)

will ponder. I'm not an expert on these things, but why coilovers rather than just lower springs?

[ QUOTE ]

At long last I have completed the coilover install, I thought I'd share a handful of photos of the results. This has been something I have always wanted to do, indeed I have been talking about this for nearly two years!

The install was torture in parts, but the results are worth it beerchug.gif

A full technical writeup will follow, I'll pop it in the technical section beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking very good!! bowdown.gif

I'd wait a couple of weeks for them to settle the re-adjust and get a 4x4 alignment done too.

Can't wait for the write up Neil, I'm guessing the rears were the pain? Did you do them on your drive and how long did it take?

Looks like I better get my V1's on ASAP!! grin.gif

What thread on the struts/platforms are you showing F&R?

BUB beerchug.gif

Thanks chaps!

I will let the car settle and most probably lower the front a further 5mm, can't remember the specific measurements but will have to update this thread when I get the car back from it's service at the garage.

I've got a 4 wheel alignment booked in for Thursday and hopefully getting the RS4 ARB on this weekend.

On the front I have 65mm of thread showing at the bottom, which is midpoint as I believe the manual states adjustment range between 50mm and 80mm.

The rear has about 13mm from the top of the spring tower which again is about midway (0mm to 25mm adjustment range).

Both shocks are dialed in at 50% between full hard and full soft, although I will most likely stiffen the rear a bit.

For anybody doing this themselves I will be posting a guide up shortly, some bits are absolute swines, the pinch bolt for instance was an absolute nightmare and required some special techniques to get the bugger out.

I had the rears done in a day, the dampers were a piece of cake, the springs not too bad because I bought myself a professional coil spring compressor like the official VAG tool. The nearside spring was fine, but the offside was a pain in the arse, I just couldn't get the angle right so ended up putting it in at a wrong angle and then compressing and turning until it was sat in the perch correctly.

The front was an absolute nightmare, the pinch bolt really gave me trouble, had to use a bit of initiative in the end involving a G clamp and a breaker bar. The control arms also wouldn't pop out so I had to press them out (well I could press one of them out but couldn't the other so got one out and then unscrewed the other from the mount and got the tower out.

In terms of replacement bolts I found that the lower damper bolts needed replacing, front and back and the pinch bolts needed replacing.

Everything else was fine and I decided not to replace them, even though I had fresh bolts waiting.

[ QUOTE ]

that looks much better Neil!

I'm tempted to drop mine 30-40mm (from s-line suspension) but at the rate i'm going i'll be swapping it again soon (too many miles)

will ponder. I'm not an expert on these things, but why coilovers rather than just lower springs?

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of reasons here Chav.

BUB 169144-ok.gif