Little help for first time buyer, 3.0d or 335d?

motoohot

Hi,

Ive been serching around for a new car and came across this Forum, cant belive i didnt find it earlier been reading through some of the posts and looks really good, so i hope

you guys can help me out.

I am thinking of gettin the 3 Series Coupe M sport, but really unsure about all the rest of specifics lol. Currently ive been reserching the 330D but reading around here i get the impression that 335 is MUCH MUCH better? If that is the case, is the 325D that much worse? (compared to 330D).

Secondly im having a Hard time decidng what is the best combination of colour... :s

I thought of Black (ext) and Brown (int)

But im also considering Blue and Black as a safer option.. (they all seem to look really good and i cant decide grr) and what trim to go with them,, rest of the options i think will be ok.

*NB

Do u really need Auto for the coupe (resale and whatever) bcase i am not really a fan of autos (no specific reason just heard bad things) and the 335 doesnt come in manual..

Secondly What kinda price should i pay.. realistically. From BMW my 330d Msport with all my Kit added up to 41k but through an online broker i got a quote of 35k, without even bartering for price.

Are the online people reliable? the quotes are from Motorlogix and Broadspeed (35 and 36k respectivly) with little fee for them ofc.

I am not fussed about getting it new or slightly used i.e. 6mnths-1 year old. But if the saving is only 1k-2k i dont mind dishing out the extra $$$ for a new one.

What kinda price range would a used car fall into (fully specd 18+ alloys and nav pro etc etc)

Sorry if the post is v long, im only 20 years old and this is my first "Proper Car" and i want it to be "PERFECT!" lol

Thanks

MK

Welcome 169144-ok.gif

I'd be pricing up insurance first if it's your first proper car and you're only 20!

Clearly you need to work out what your budget is, there's a huge difference between a 325D and 335D, and of course about 100BHP too.

When you've sorted those 2 things out then the rest of the questions will be easier to answer!

Cheers

Ben

Insurance "shouldnt" be a problem, im planning to under my dads name as second driver, budget is flexible, i dont really wanna pay MUCH more then 40k but prefer paying 30-35 if possible,

Ive been reading some more and starting to think that 335i is also a good option as that is manual.

Insurance companies are wise to this and will price on the higher risk element of the two named people on the policy (that's if they will even quote). Seriously, get this looked at first.

When I was looking the other day, M Sport Coupe's with decent specs and engines were knocking on £40k used.

[ QUOTE ]

Insurance "shouldnt" be a problem, im planning to under my dads name as second driver

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure you should be doing this if you're going to be the main driver.

If you can afford 35-40k for a car in the first place, insurance shouldn't be an issue.

its not really an issue tbh, i did look into it, and w Teso insurance and quoted £2k for me fully comp, on a 330D Msport and 900 for me as second driver on the same car, other companies wnted around 4k, so i think insurance sudnt b a problem, its just picking the rest of the car lol

The 330d is a really nice car, the 335d is something a bit special, it will hold its money betetr too, so I wouldn't think it will cost any more over 3 years.

You are probably best to buy new with a good discount, M-Sport 335d's seem to be getting as much at 6 months old as the brokers are charhing new, and don't bother trying to haggle with a broker, ususally the car is cost and the fee, around £300 is all they make.

Have you considered getting a 320d, and insuring yourself on the car?

The 320d is an immensely capable car, and with 160ish BHP, its pretty fast (while returning 50+mpg), yet would save you enough to afford the insurance.

Drive that for 2 years, getting some NCB, and you'll be able to get insurance much cheaper on something a lot more fun 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Have you considered getting a 320d, and insuring yourself on the car?

The 320d is an immensely capable car, and with 160ish BHP, its pretty fast (while returning 50+mpg), yet would save you enough to afford the insurance.

Drive that for 2 years, getting some NCB, and you'll be able to get insurance much cheaper on something a lot more fun 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't sound like money is the issue mate.

If your spending £40k on a new car at 20, you have to be pretty minted... I would insure in my own name though, it's good to biuld up NCB, and it also makes you respect the NCB you earn too.

I would go for an ex demo 330d (very quick car) 169144-ok.gif

where do i look for these ex-demo cars? i cant find many 330d- M Sports online for less then if bought em new with a discount.

So far my best quote is just over 35k w

Brushed aluminium interior trim

Le mans Blue metallic paint

Dakota leather - Black

19" light alloy double spoke wheels - style 225 M

Navigation System Professional

Hi-fi loudspeaker system (dont know if this is worth upgrading/downgrading/gettin aftermarket upgrader..)

Climate comfort windscreen (is this usefull?)

Comfort access system (worth the £400? to start without key)

Heated front seats

Velour floor mats

Driver + passenger electric lumbar support

I plan to get tints on the car after market as i want the front 2 door glass done too.

Also regarding the bluetooth w telemetics an voice controll.. do you guys think its usefull or just some extras that are not really all that necesary, i.e with the voice controll all your buttons are an arms length anyways, using voice control is gettin a bit too lazy?

And is the bluetooth prep just a £500 option to talk hands free in the car? or does it have other uses too?

I wouldnt say im minted at all, ive started up a business and been working really had and long for the last 2 years without really showing anything for it, recently im starting to feel as thou i am working too much and decided to give myself a nice treat. this car seems perfect, at least when i sort out what it is i actually WANT lol.

Thnks for ur help guys,

[ QUOTE ]

where do i look for these ex-demo cars? i cant find many 330d- M Sports online for less then if bought em new with a discount.

So far my best quote is just over 35k w

Brushed aluminium interior trim

Le mans Blue metallic paint

Dakota leather - Black

19" light alloy double spoke wheels - style 225 M

Navigation System Professional

Hi-fi loudspeaker system (dont know if this is worth upgrading/downgrading/gettin aftermarket upgrader..)

Climate comfort windscreen (is this usefull?)

Comfort access system (worth the £400? to start without key)

Heated front seats

Velour floor mats

Driver + passenger electric lumbar support

I plan to get tints on the car after market as i want the front 2 door glass done too.

Also regarding the bluetooth w telemetics an voice controll.. do you guys think its usefull or just some extras that are not really all that necesary, i.e with the voice controll all your buttons are an arms length anyways, using voice control is gettin a bit too lazy?

And is the bluetooth prep just a £500 option to talk hands free in the car? or does it have other uses too?

I wouldnt say im minted at all, ive started up a business and been working really had and long for the last 2 years without really showing anything for it, recently im starting to feel as thou i am working too much and decided to give myself a nice treat. this car seems perfect, at least when i sort out what it is i actually WANT lol.

Thnks for ur help guys,

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the sort of spec I'd go for 169144-ok.gif

Dont go for tints on the side windows, it looks chav and its also illegal

Have a look on the AUC section of BMW.co.uk or just Autotrader and you'll find some cars. Lots of BMW's ex-management cars start with a Y on the reg plate.

You won't see many M-Sports at all for sale yet, but have a look in the Coming Soon section of the AUC and you'll find some. They won't be priced well as the dealers have to run them for 3 months first so "can't" sell them yet.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have a read of the review of my motor. BMW 330i M-Sport I'd say that voice control with the bluetooth is one of the best things on the car bar the handling and the engine.

It makes iDrive soooo much better, using the wheel for everything is slow at times. Bluetooth gives you hands free, puts your address book on the screen for you to select people, shows the signal strength of the phone and a bit more besides I think.

Both are great IMO. 169144-ok.gif