Mac has a Mac

Mac

Seriously, getting used to packages (where everything you need to run the app is inside the icon itself) is the strangest thing with a Mac, and then trying to get your head round there isn't crap left all over your computer when you install it, so you can simply drag the package to the trash, when you want to get rid of it, is even stranger.

tongue.gif

I am in shock smashfreakB.gif This little unit running Leopard so far has:

:- Quite happily dealt with some of my design docs and quickly - my work PC is a twin dual core XEON with 4Gb of ram and that struggles with them.

:- Automatically detected and worked with every device I've plugged in without any pissing about with drivers or anything.

:- Battery life while running OSX is astounding I've had about 3.5 hours out of it on battery. Running windows it lasts about 2 hours - interesting comparison.

Downsides:

- Keyboard takes a bit of getting use to with the @ and " transposed - I.e. US layout.

:- Quick keys such as Alt-F4 to close windows in Windows don't work... There's different key combinations. If you're a keyboard shortcut user like I am (I rarely use the mouse) then it's a little frustrating.

:- It's not clear when applications are closed or running or not - well not to me anyway! Alt-Tabbing results in a very long list of running apps. I suspect I have not worked out to CLOSE apps when I've finished with them.

...and the last downside is a bit odd. The front of the keyboard/case, I.e. the leading edge, is actually a bit annoying. It's very angled and rubs on your wrists after a while.

Over all I think it's a stunning piece of kit bowdown.gif

I'll still need to run Vista/XP day to day for work - a lot of security products are not available on OSX - but I imagine I'll be using the Mac environment when doing documentation and the like.

I am truly impressed. shocked.gif

I will do a full review shortly 169144-ok.gif

Mac, when closing windows do you mean closing windows in OSX ? in which case Apple + W closes. The keyboard layout is the biggest issue I found with switching over, but now I use Mac most of the time I'm totally used to it and can switch happily. If its useful and required, editing the docs on a Mac is also great because you can Print to PDF without needing additional software, very handy if you need PDF docs 169144-ok.gif