I've finally joined the 4x4 brigade...rah rah rah!

Tarmac_Terrorist

Well almost....2 x 4 to be precise.

I've not been on here for a few weeks spending hours trying to source one and finally bought this old girl. I've named her Gertrude (Dirty Gerty)

She's 30 years old, 2286cc diesel, makes a flat out 55mph if the ambient temerature is right. She was bolted on to a new galvanised chassis at some point a few years ago. Bench seats / belts in the back.

i bought her 3 weeks ago and I've already spent many hours under her - changed all gearbox, transfer box and diff oils, flushed radiator & heater matrix, replaced seal on a rear hub and now she's ready for winter - ready to drag some BMW's out of ditches when the snow comes :grin:

Where possible I will do all the maintenance, repairs & servicing myself.

It's great to have a vehicle you actually 'drive' rather than 'operate'. She's extremely involving! I've never had so much fun doing 40mph before. (sorry if you get stuck behind me!)

Bad points are: big clutch judder (but doesn't slip) and of course she can't keep water out. For a Series 3 Landy she's good at keeping oil in - only drops a couple of drips every few days.

878c0ee9-1.jpg

8481be10-1.jpg

7606f9bf-1.jpg

I think you'll be able to make a mint if the white stuff arrives.

TT's snow recovery services. Ditches are my friends - only £40 to remove your car from my friend! Cash in advance.

I remember as a small kid pestering my mum & dad for a pair of sunglasses the first day of our holiday. They found me some to shut me up....the sun never came out all holiday. Got a Landy just in time for winter...I reckon this will now be the mildest winter on record!

Body is made from aluminiums, so won't rust away.

It's the wheels and the chassis you need to worry about as its made from 'soft rusty iron' (factory fit).

Other than that, it's a top motor!

Apart from window and sunroof seals, which are made from sherbert fountains and blotting paper. Oh, and if you have a desert specification oil cooler, take it out...

+++

Love it+++.....I`v got one of the newer 2.5tdi Defender Station Wagons....Sounds like a tractor and drives like a bus....but absolutely nothing will stop it.....I had loads of fun both on and off road in last years snow...However the only downside was that it took 30 minutes for the interior to heat up....The older Landies look so cool....but I love mine because the ride/drive is so basic and crude......I`am seriously considering buying a new Defender before Land Rover replace it with that hideous concept car

post-20949-137914477577_thumb.jpg

post-20949-13791447758_thumb.jpg