Fitness thread - Q1/12

Soulboy

I'm the same height and IMO 67.5kg is too light. Having dense muscles weighs more than being small and fat, but you'll be faster with the extra muscle. A one litre engine is light, but a turbo 1.8 will kick it's arse.

Of course everyone differs and if you're 67kg and running fast, you'll soon put the muscle weight on +++

Fizz.

Well done mate, half the battle is starting at the gym. Keep it going as after a while you learn to love it. 7kg side raises for 12 reps on your first day is not bad at all bud.

m4ttm4son.

Chin up bar mmmmmmmmm. My single favorite excercise bar none. If you can, then play around with your grip. Wide grip palms facing away really hits the lats and middle/top of the back and will give you a great sweep. Close grip with palms facing your face will hit the middle back more and blast your biceps something grate. Don't worry about trying to do as many reps as you can, just concentrate on form by going all the way down to straight arms then all the way up.

I tend to manage 3 sets of 10/12 but could probably do 3x15/18 bad ones but whats the point it's only cheating yourself.

So managed to burn off a little excess belly fat and am down to 13.5st so thats 5lbs shifted this week or so. Thats as low as I can go without looking too scrawny. Now comes the hard bit of putting on quality muscle, which is harder than losing bloody weight. Meals have gone up to 6 per day but 2 of these are protein shakes, still a few hundred good calories down on where I need to be so may have to invest in an all in one supp. I have never responded well to creatine though which many of these have in them, I always need a pi55 when using the stuff.

Better set a target I suppose. I would like to get to 14st soonish but that is a big jump so I will aim for 5lb of lean muscle on in the time scale we have here. That would put me at 6ft 1 and 13st 10 (87-88kg) which is a start.

Edited by billy2shots

I'm the same height and IMO 67.5kg is too light. Having dense muscles weighs more than being small and fat, but you'll be faster with the extra muscle. A one litre engine is light, but a turbo 1.8 will kick it's arse.

Of course everyone differs and if you're 67kg and running fast, you'll soon put the muscle weight on +++

I agree in principle, although it's a process for me. I'm fairly slight in terms of muscle mass. I've tried to put on muscle whilst losing fat before and it hasn't worked for me (I just put on weight) so this time I'm getting rid of fat first +++ I feel great and I'm still heavier than I was in my twenties when I was properly fit.

I've also just read that my Body Fat Monitor is known to overread by up 25% which would make sense.

What a lovely day for a run +++

Certainly was, I did 8 miles at a nice easy pace this morning. Took about an hour for my hands to regain feeling once I was back though AND I was wearing gloves. Still, cold with clear skies and bright sunshine - I'll take that over grey and warm every day!

Looking forward to doing it all again tomorrow. Weather looks to be set fair. Did a nice 10k this morning. Might go a little further tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be a rare day off for me. So far this week I've done:

Monday : Hour weights session with my trainer - upper body

Tuesday : 6 mile tempo run

Wednesday : Hour weights with trainer - legs

Thursday : Hour weights with trainer - chest and biceps + 10k speed session + an hour of swim training

Friday - Spin

Saturday - 8 mile easy run

Quite enough for one week :D

Bloody mentalist Sam. Would love to work with a personal trainer. Must be nice not having to work out what do do and just get on with it.

No time for running for me today. Tiling the bathroom floor, so a few squats in B&Q picking up a few packs of tiles etc. then a few squats and steps taking them from the car to Bathroom. Legs are killing me. While they dry tomorrow I plan to get out for a long run...

Mtb ride this morning, did an extra loop. Cyclemeter said 1165 calories burnt! Great fun over the hard frosty ground. Was shot to pieces at the end but felt great after a hot bath and a bacon sarnie. Trainer shopping tomorrow or Tuesday, hope ths will help my fitness so I'm better on the bike.

Fizz.

Well done mate, half the battle is starting at the gym. Keep it going as after a while you learn to love it. 7kg side raises for 12 reps on your first day is not bad at all bud.

Cheers mate. +++

Did my 3rd session yesterday and i swear my stomach mucles are dying. The captains chair was a killer! :P

The 60kg dead lifts felt much better this time round (for obvious reasons) and the shoulder/back feels much better for it.

Will see how my body feels tomorrow and if its feeling not too bad i might go back in again before my thursday session, even if its for cardio. :)

Did my first run tonight! As per the app (suggested by SamD) 5 min warmup, followed by 1 min run then 1.5 mins walk. Do this 8 times and then finish with 5 min warm down. Took it very steady. I can do the run without too much trouble but it's the effects on the legs that kills me up to two weeks later. That's as a seasoned mtb rider too. Hope the walking in between gave my legs/calves a chance to get used to it. Will know tomorrow or the next day if they're ok. Felt ok, looking forward to getting up to speed and running all the time. Will take it slow to start though.

I can do the run without too much trouble but it's the effects on the legs that kills me up to two weeks later.

You're right to take it slow. When I first took up running a couple of years ago, I went too fast/far too soon and ended up with all sorts of niggles (knees, ankles, IT Band etc). I had to go back to shorter distances and build up slowly. Have been fine ever since +++.

You're right to take it slow. When I first took up running a couple of years ago, I went too fast/far too soon and ended up with all sorts of niggles (knees, ankles, IT Band etc). I had to go back to shorter distances and build up slowly. Have been fine ever since +++.

Exactly what I did last time and with poo trainers too! My joints were fukced for ages. I can mtb for 35 miles but can't run 2 miles without serious pains. The walking thing is a bit strange but if it helps build up the right areas then great.

just feel fecking tired.

You know stooH - it is amazing what a bit of phys does for the old tiredness. You can feel hugely rejuvinated after going for a run or the gym when you feel fecked. I like to go first thing in the morning to kick start the day so if it is tiredness/can'tbearsedness after work, that might be an answer?

Funny how we are all different. The thought of doing anything before work is just one big no no. I just couldnt do it. However, 8AM on a Sunday and im first there waiting to go. As for my first run last night, it was 730PM and felt as fresh as a daisy!

I used to run in the evening, but over the last few months I've been dragging myself out of bed at 0530 for runs. It really makes a difference to my well being feeling. Early bird catches the worm, as they say and I really feel like I'm ahead of everybody when I'm on my way to work in the morning and get to the office alert. By the evening I'm nicely tired and relaxed. If I run in the evening it just gets me wired and I haven't got enough time to relax again.

The only trouble is that the gf is the opposite and needs a crowbar to get out of bed in the morning so she will only ever run in the evening, so we can only run together at the weekends if I run in the morning during the week.

The past week I haven't been out at all. And I feel like crud. Difficulty getting out of bed, shattered in the evening, sluggish at work. Amazing to see the difference, like you say Andrew.

just feel fecking tired.

You know stooH - it is amazing what a bit of phys does for the old tiredness. You can feel hugely rejuvinated after going for a run or the gym when you feel fecked. I like to go first thing in the morning to kick start the day so if it is tiredness/can'tbearsedness after work, that might be an answer?

I know what you mean, problem is two young kids and getting up to make breakfasts, lunches, get them ready, get yourself ready and then drive to work. It's something to consider though, the alarm goes off at 6.40 maybe dragging myself out without hitting snooze and just hitting the exercise bike for 20 minutes would pep me up a bit.

• bison unpinned this topic