Fitness thread - Q1/12

Soulboy

That looks like the jump at Millbrook. I launched a new GTi over that as well back in 05! :roflmao:

Was an awesome day as we had a stunt experiance day with Russ Swift as well. Being a passenger with him while your on 2 weels is something i wont forget! :)

Back on topic from Ugly people though...

Soulboy - Will see if if our cross trainer has that cardio option on there. +++

Really good program on the BBC last night, Horizon special on exercise. Basically highlighting the benefit of HITT type excercise (working as hard as you can for short periods of time). The presenter undertook a 4 week program of short intense excercise, and I do mean short. He rode an excercise bike as fast as he could for 20 seconds 3 times totalling a minute. He did this 3 times a week which equalled 12 minutes over the 4 week trial. In only 4 weeks he lowered his insulin sensitivity by 23% thus lowering his chance of diabetes. HITT also comes with many other benefits not least getting fitter whilst exercising at an easy to accomplish duration.

What was interesting was the scientist said studies on 1000 people showed a direct correlation between certain genes and response to exercise. 20% of those tested would see little to no response to excercise of any kind (aerobic improvement) and 15% could be "super responders".

From analysing the presenters DNA he correctly identified he would be a non responder in improving his co2 max or aerobic level.

Catch it on the iplayer if you missed it. 12 minutes a month, there is no excuse guys.

Saw this too and the basics of it correspond to what Mook was saying to me about intervals. Rather than me banging out a steady hour run at 7:30 mins/mile, change it around and do some intervals instead. Not actually had the chance to do any running intervals yet but do plenty of them while canoeing, although that tests your upper-body muscle fatigue as much as aerobic capacity so it isn't quite as good.

The excercise doesn't really matter a great deal. I have always done it running as its the easiest thing to do, you could do it rowing, swimming, cyclein, boxing anything really as long as you give it your all.

Today I ran 14 lengths of a football pitch, jog half then sprint half for 6. Then jog the whole pitch then sprint all the way back 8 times. Takes 10 minutes and is a great workout. I have noticed good improvement when I play football over the last few months.

I'm back in the room.

Not posted in here for the last 3 or 4 weeks and not been on the site much for a variety of reasons. Had a strange thing a few weeks back where my weight started going up again, I was still doing more or less the same thing as I had been previously but I put on about 3 lbs, I think it may of been due to a certain issue :uhoh: once that issue had 'passed' I lost a couple of the lbs but i'm still a lb up on where I was 4 weeks ago (15st 5lb this morning) and it won't fecking go. Got me a bit irritated.

Something has changed a bit over the last month, i've got a new hobby (Geocaching) which has meant that i'm still going out for my lunch time walks but doing it more regularly plus at the weekends and maybe one or two evenings a week i'm going out for 2 or 3 mile walks (quite often up and down hill). Now I know this isn't exactly stunning amounts of exercise but it's more than i've done for the last 10 years and it's fairly consistent. So not sure if it's amending my metabolism in any way? I certainly hope it is even if only a little, body feels generally a bit more achy at the moment which I hope is a good sign.

Anyway I'm also starting decorating again this week and have been demolishing more coving with a massive kango drill and lugging bags of rubble to the dump, scraping wall paper etc hoping that all the little things combined might start bringing the weight down again. I might also try what Billy mentioned with the very short sharp bouts of exercise. Interesting to note that my weight has stagnated around the 15 1/2 stone mark which has been my 'steady' weight more or less for the last 10+ years. Is my body resisting my gentle attempts to coax it lighter? Do I need to start getting more serious and show it who's boss???

Sorry for the long post, i'm making up for the last few weeks. :)

Running intervals: fecking hard work. Not done them in a while so after Mooks advice I did 30 mins of 1 min intervals with recovery at 9:45 mins/mile and run at 5:50 mins/mile and was surprised to go as far, and burn as many calories as a steady run. Took it a bit easier than I will next time but blimey, I feel very different than if if I'd knocked out 6 miles steady.

I bought a new pair of Asics trainers for £55, especially for this app. Been great. Don't wear old trainers you will knacker your feet, shins etc, especially if there not cushioned. If I carry on with the running then I'll update to a better pair (post hernia op').

Make sure you do both 5 min warm up/down and do loads and loads of stretches after.

Edited by Luke

Slowly getting in to the couch to 5k, but think I'm getting shin splints! My trainers are not the greatest and have to wear arch inserts. Any suggestions?

Could it just be my running style or should I invest in new footwear?

I know nothing about running - except doing it in the wrong trainers is not good.

I think you need to get a 'gait analysis' (or something) done at Footlocker (or somewhere).

:grin:

Yeah, the Bluewater one is where my gf got her gait analysed (oo-er). They try to sell you a moulded insole too and because of her high arches she got them and they're very comfy apparently.

Yeah, glass hurts. My weekend runs this week appear to have aggravated my ankle injury from last year, so will be resting this week before the Silverstone Half this Sunday.

Week two of couch to 5k. Not exercised for years. Really enjoying it. Can't believe it's taken me this long to get my ass in gear.

Feel like pushing it further and running more but will stick to the program.

Got some running shoes today. What a difference they make.

Just been and had my gaitor checked and it's showing as neutral. As I'm running outside it could he my body adjusting but have got new trainers anyhow. Advised to rest up and use a cool pack til mid week and then see how I go.

Great help in there and a no pressure approach, quite refreshing!! Also got £25 off another pair of trainers too.

Well since the op I've put on 5lb in two weeks. Up to 13st. I'm not too surprised as I'm doing nothing at all and eating some comfort food to get me through the days. I've started to get back in the swing of things but will be a while before I'm doing any proper exercise. Still bloody hurts.

Just been and had my gaitor checked and it's showing as neutral. As I'm running outside it could he my body adjusting but have got new trainers anyhow. Advised to rest up and use a cool pack til mid week and then see how I go.

Great help in there and a no pressure approach, quite refreshing!! Also got £25 off another pair of trainers too.

I did a bit of running ages ago and started to do reasonably but then stopped for ages, however when I restarted I got shin splints fairly quickly. When I read up on it I was simply doing too much too soon and my body wasn't ready for it. So when I restarted again I took it really easy at the start and worked up and it was fine, but what ever you do don't run through the pain that is just making it worse it needs to be rested.

Had 2 run outs after a 9 day rest and things are a lot better now. Whether that's down to the new trainers or using a cool pack daily I don't know.

Did a spinning class last night and it practically killed me! major body shock :uhoh: booked in again for Monday night though :grin:

Ran my first week 3 run from couch to 5k this afternoon. Found it ok and things seem to be getting a little easier +++

Ran my first week 3 run from couch to 5k this afternoon. Found it ok and things seem to be getting a little easier +++

Keep going - it gets easier and easier. It's where I started and I managed a 1:43:54 Half Marathon at the weekend 10 months after I could barely do Week 1 Run 1 of C25K!

• bison unpinned this topic