How many miles a year do you drive, and what's the split for work/play ?

theduisbergkid

60k?! Bloody hell that's a chunk of driving a week.

Keeps me busy, and employed!

I'm on the road 5 days a week, and my area covers from Shropshire to Lancaster , Mid & North Wales and accross to Huddersfield.

Unfortunately I live on the very West of my patch so I can do 150+ miles to my first call.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I drove to Munich, I was chatting to a British van driver at a service station*. His job was to deliver drugs** twice weekly to a place in Switzerland that bought them regularly, so he spent almost all the time either on his way to Switzerland or on his way back.

*before you ask, he spotted the 911 on UK plates leaving him for dead on on the autobahn and wanted to see the car/say how nice it was...

**pharmaceuticals, or so he claimed. I didn't check them.

There must be some reason for it, but why the FUNK do you do that trip every day?!

I'm a trucker. (Kitchens and bathrooms)

We have a depot in Bolton and one in London. I take a loaded truck at night and the guys deliver the stock after transferring it to smaller trucks.

Wow - respect for doing that trawl every day - M6 as well I guess, so you've the joys of Birmingham roadworks and all the shït that brings every day, even at night.

It's not that bad, the truck is on air suspension so it's super smooth. It's really quiet too. Auto box too so there's no messing about swapping cogs. It's got climate control blah blah blah.

The road works aren't that bad either, mostly it's a 50mph limit through them but because the truck only does 56mph it's not costing much time. Although I usually go m6/m5/m42/m40. That way I miss out the roadworks after jct 8 on the m6.

I've no idea any more! But I've had the Disco since 28 March and it's on 3500 miles so far.

I think the Motorsport trips bump it up, Anglesey last month & Zandvoort tomorrow. With the trailer, my limit is 60 so it's a matter of cruise control on and sit back.

My colleague and I who live ridiculous miles from the office were thinking of writing a 'commuters' blog' about what we see and how bad other drivers are.

I drive 28K a year and my colleague about 20K both on basically the same route and we have similar views on other road users, etiquette and stuff (especially at Welwyn roundabout just past Sherrardswood School). However, she drives faster than me :eek: whereas I am more lay back & enjoy the ride!!

We can also, both testify that modern cars are sooo much more reliable and solid*. She has a 53 Golf TDi from new and I have been through loads of high mileage barges. None of which have let me nor her down! (Her old Mk 3 Golf TDi was on it's last legs after 4 or 5 yrs of the same commute)

* to be fair, I have never been let down and stranded by mechanical failure by any of my cars, since I started driving in '86! Be then Vxs, Lancias or Alfas! Work has always been over 1 hr's worth of commute!

Have other people found their car's are reliable?

That's why I have the Mini HD cam. The things you catch on camera never cease to amaze.

I'm astonished you still use this and think it's OK. I decided it was a pile of fickle balls, and they've now discontinued them.