Commonwealth Games

Tipex

The Bowling and Badminton didn't exactly have crowds of spectators this morning, in fact, the seats were mostly deserted save for family members watching!

It's the one games that no-one likes to admit they are happy to miss because of where it falls in the events calendar, it makes sense that if you need to take time out, for training, or personal stuff like getting married, children, holidays etc, this is the one to miss.

Blimey, do you think so? Can't say I've noticed that aside from bagpipes at every interval in the swimming.

After day 1, I put the BBC Breakfast news on and got in depth coverage, footage and interviews on all 3 Scottish golds. I thought nothing of it, till 10 mines later they cut back to the studio and said..... 'And the leader of the medals table is England'

Not a single mention of how many medals any other country had won, by who, doing what. Just a full 10 minutes on that Scot swimmer and 2 judo sisters.

Having said that I watched the boxing on the red button last night and really enjoyed it!

Edited by Soulboy

It is easily the most partisan (Scottish) "Empire" games I have ever seen.

However, hopefully it'll be the last one the Scots can participate in. 

Whilst they want to stay in the Commonwealth, I am hoping the committee responsible for membership (which they'd have to apply for again) will tell them where to shove their hopes.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

I'm missing some of the real time information that you got at the olympics. I watched the shooting earlier and it would have been far better if I could actually see how they were all doing whilst also pacifying the kids. 

It was a close and tense finish that was missing as a result. 

All in all, a very good games imho. Glasgow was a fine host and even the weather played ball (bar the last couple of days).

Highlights for me were Claudia Fragapane in the gymnastics and the Men's 4x400m rely team. Matthew Hudson-Smith showed huge heart on the final leg to win Gold. He could be a face to watch out for on the world stage if he continues to develop.

Jo Pavey was a great shock winning a Bronze in the 5000m. She is 40 and had a child 10 months ago. It seems like she has been competing forever but I haven't seen her run with so much bravery before.