BMW 125i

Torino101

This car is indecently fast for a "shopping" hatch, it's really surprised me how real world quick it is, overtaking a very slow moving truck this morning and its pickup from low speeds makes overtaking an utter breeze. The 135i especially in more adverse conditions must be bordering on frightening. :o

This car is indecently fast for a "shopping" hatch, it's really surprised me how real world quick it is, overtaking a very slow moving truck this morning and its pickup from low speeds makes overtaking an utter breeze. The 135i especially in more adverse conditions must be bordering on immense fun!. :o

ftfy!  :grin:

I don't know about the 35i in 235i form or 135i form, but when you say it must be bordering on frightening in adverse weather conditions - I think you'd be very surprised.

DSC+T is remarkably good in the 35i's I have tried and I would imagine that if it works in a Z4 35i it'll be less frightening in a 135i or 235i.

BMW have a habit of getting balance and poise perfect.  I keep saying it, I know, but you'll only find it frightening if you're doing something stupid.

I was right. I guess its obvious that the M135i stop start button is different from yours seeing that the on/off button switch is quite glaring.

He said he was able to turn it on and off each time he starts the car. He was wondering if there was a setting that disabled it so he didn't need to switch off for every journey.

I was right. I guess its obvious that the M135i stop start button is different from yours seeing that the on/off button switch is quite glaring.

That's quite interesting.  The button on the 5 series is below the Stop-Start and I'd say it looks a bit bigger than that one.  I can appreciate that a smaller button might make it a bit of a pain.

• 3 weeks later...

It's the beginning of our summer here and that equals rain - Lots and Lots of rain. Motorways deep with standing water and generally horrendous driving conditions.

Well I have no idea what voodoo BMW do underneath their cars these days, but I'm yet to even see the traction control flicker. The car is absolutely planted. It is quite incredible how sure footed they have managed to make their RWD cars these days. I'm ultra impressed.   

Much of this comes from the absolute bollocks spoken by those with Quattro. 

Worst of all are those that admit they've never even driven a RWD car like the 125i, 135i, etc. after saying how can the power possibly be put down on the tarmac.

RWD is perfectly stable in many, many cars.  Yes, BMW have got it nailed, but it still isn't the challenge many make it out to be.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

What tyres is your 125i rolling on.

My Mlite is on the michelin pilot super sports and they really do suit the car, giving grip and stability in most conditions.

You can pile on speed really quickly in these cars and the super sports really are up to the job.

My winter set is still in the garage, as weather in Kent is mostly wet and mild..

Not anything fancy - the Conti runflats that it came with. Can't complain, they're doing the job fine. The ride is perfecly acceptable for a small hatch, probably helped by the fact it's not on M-Sport suspension. Hit a pothole however and there is just no give in the tyre. :blink:

My first M3 was utterly terrifying. Real easy to oversteer even on slow roundabouts.

Turned out there was a problem with the traction control and some sensors on the LSD, go figure.

Now - I throw my M3 around just as much as I did my RS4. Difference is now of course I actually have a clue what's happening underneath.

That would have been a perfect drift at the Top Gear track. +++

It would indeed.  Sadly I was at Zandvoort.

The back story is that I had just passed two cars on the main straight - one of which was being driven by a very quick chap (who won the first few races and came third in the Championship) and was therefore feeling (a) on a high and (b) desperate to hold on to the places as there was only about a lap and a half to go.  That combination led me to go into the corner a bit quicker than I normally did*, hence the slide.  Now, normally I'd dump the clutch and hit the brake, come to a graceful halt, and pick up from there.  However, (a) and (b) combined led to a mental narrative that went "You can catch it, keep your foot in... keep your foot in... hold it... you've got it.... nice... hold it.... oh f**k".

To really cheer me up, the quick chap's gearbox failed 300 yards later, locking him in third and slowing him down massively.  He came in last of the finishers.  NO, I'M NOT EXAGGERATING.  OR ANNOYED. NO. DEFINITELY NOT. NOT ANNOYED AT ALL. WHY DO YOU ASK?

data said 20mph quicker.  I'm nothing if not an optimist :uhoh:

• Like 1