cruiser647

New RS5

41 posts in this topic

I cannot remember if this has been added in here already, but here is info on the new RS5

With it's twin-turbo V6.......  Same power, more pull.  Will wait to hear if it has less sound presence too.

RS5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As always, the cabin looks lovely but those wheels are awful!

I'm sure there is an Insignia that has wheels that look almost identical to those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look, Audi - you can't have an RS without a V8.  It really is that simple. No.  Stop arguing. No.  It's not. Well it may well have more torque and a smoother power delivery with its twin turbos, but that's... No. Stop.

Look, call it an S5 Plus, or something.

Nice wheels though :roflmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

V8's are gone.  Long gone.  Nobody will keep them now, except supercar manufacturers.

Sad, but times change and it won't be long before the RS4, 5 and 6 don't have traditional combustion engines. 

In fact, it won't surprise me if this is the last RS5 you see that isn't full-electric. 

 

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[cough] Mercedes AMG [cough] :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, but that won't get replaced with another V8.  It has already gone down in engine size in the C63.  The next car will be a V6 or hybrid, maybe even fully electric.

I love the V8 in most guises, but it's day is over.

I'm ready to embrace electric cars when they get the range sorted and Tesla are very close to doing that.

We, the TSN collective, are dinosaurs.  That is how we'll be looked upon in the future.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im still yet to own a V8. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan on  buying another one later this year - before you can't buy one any more.

Got to decide which one though... :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Rover 75 V8 would suit you :P 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mook said:

Look, Audi - you can't have an RS without a V8.  It really is that simple. No.  Stop arguing. No.  It's not. Well it may well have more torque and a smoother power delivery with its twin turbos, but that's... No. Stop.

Audi must feel that they can't win. When the first RS came out that was normally aspirated everyone said "you can't have an RS without a turbo" :roflmao:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Daz said:

A Rover 75 V8 would suit you :P 

I sat in one of those at the motor show when they were launched. 

James May's perfect car. He'd even enjoy moaning about there being nowhere to put your left foot.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of debate on RS246 about the loss of the 8500 rpm screaming V8 and the S tronic gearbox, however both have been common knowledge for ages, and personally I think this torquey new power plant and drive train is positive.  442 lb ft is 125 more than the B8 RS4, and more than any R8 or Huracan derivative.

With the B8 S4 blowing its gearboxes to bits with a quoted 325 lb ft (in reality, way more than that, more like 360 lb ft) it makes sense the ZF has been fitted to the B9.  Budget is likely the only reason the PDK isn't carried over from the Panamera with the same engine.  The main (only?) disadvantage is that the ZF lacks the aggression / ability to get off the line as quick as double clutch, so the 0-60 time isn't amazing, but the ZF suits the RS6 perfectly imo, and it has been praised in the B9 S4

Shame to see dynamic steering standard, yet the sport diff is on the options list according to some reports which I find hard to fathom.  And yes, the alloys on the show cars look questionable.  As does the rear diffuser / exhaust arrangement!

Obviously the one we are all waiting for is the RS4.  :cool:

NB.  The V8 won't be axed for a while in the larger Audi models - the 4.0 litre is simply two Golf GTi / Golf R / Audi S3 engines, and with cylinder shut down its pretty economical and sub 225 g / km CO2 now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Mook said:

I plan on  buying another one later this year - before you can't buy one any more.

Got to decide which one though... :wacko:

This one.  600KW of twin turbo V8 and hybrid drivetrain.

MercedesAMG_GTConcept_EMBARGOED0845hMar7

from:  http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-germancars/mercedes-amg-gt-concept--geneva-2017/35881

...and what looks like the production version

 

Edited by Rachel
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Arch said:

Im still yet to own a V8. :(

Do it, and do it quickly.

Have had 3.  All 3 slightly different versions of the venerable Audi V8 4.2  +++

I will have another.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ian_C said:

Lots of debate on RS246 about the loss of the 8500 rpm screaming V8 and the S tronic gearbox, however both have been common knowledge for ages, and personally I think this torquey new power plant and drive train is positive.  442 lb ft is 125 more than the B8 RS4, and more than any R8 or Huracan derivative.

With the B8 S4 blowing its gearboxes to bits with a quoted 325 lb ft (in reality, way more than that, more like 360 lb ft) it makes sense the ZF has been fitted to the B9.  Budget is likely the only reason the PDK isn't carried over from the Panamera with the same engine.  The main (only?) disadvantage is that the ZF lacks the aggression / ability to get off the line as quick as double clutch, so the 0-60 time isn't amazing, but the ZF suits the RS6 perfectly imo, and it has been praised in the B9 S4

Shame to see dynamic steering standard, yet the sport diff is on the options list according to some reports which I find hard to fathom.  And yes, the alloys on the show cars look questionable.  As does the rear diffuser / exhaust arrangement!

Obviously the one we are all waiting for is the RS4.  :cool:

NB.  The V8 won't be axed for a while in the larger Audi models - the 4.0 litre is simply two Golf GTi / Golf R / Audi S3 engines, and with cylinder shut down its pretty economical and sub 225 g / km CO2 now

Ian - the RS5 (not the new one) the 2013-16 model.  What was standard and what were the options?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruiser647 said:

Do it, and do it quickly.

Have had 3.  All 3 slightly different versions of the venerable Audi V8 4.2  +++

I will have another.......

Too late. Split the difference and plumped for a 6! I was afeared (proper Devonian there!) of going down an E90 M3 road, M tax on everything and 'teen mpg vs slightly more £ on newer M-lite with warranty, better mpg etc. 

Its built too, and on its way to carrier. :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mook said:

I plan on  buying another one later this year - before you can't buy one any more.

Got to decide which one though... :wacko:

I've got one you could buy......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Arch said:

Too late. Split the difference and plumped for a 6! I was afeared (proper Devonian there!) of going down an E90 M3 road, M tax on everything and 'teen mpg vs slightly more £ on newer M-lite with warranty, better mpg etc. 

Its built too, and on its way to carrier. :o

What a choice to have had to make.

I feel for you.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pincher said:

I've got one you could buy......

Yeah, I was kinda wanting one that didn't leak :roflmao:

You still got Trevor then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't leak. Much. 

 

Still got it. Still barely drive it. Really ought to sell up but I'm hanging on until the new TVR is launched (whenever that is) in the vain hope that it'll push prices of the old ones up a bit. I think I'd be in profit if I sold now but I'd kick myself if the went up 20% in the next year :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep hold of it.

Prices of Mk2 Golfs have gotten stupid recently - one of the reasons I've still got mine tucked up in the garage.  Even molested as it is, it's apparently worth a shed-load more than I originally paid for the base car.  The £1M of modifications make it worth considerably less, of course :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I probably will. Unless some lunatic decides to make me a silly offer.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When did you say you were coming to view it? :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mook said:

Ian - the RS5 (not the new one) the 2013-16 model.  What was standard and what were the options?

Er, main option is Dynamic Pack, which gives you the 20s, DRC (Dynamic ride control), Sport Exhaust + Dynamic steering

Personally....... I hate the 20s.  Yes they look awesome, and the 19s aren't a great design, but it hops and skips around too much on 20s (RS4 and RS5 I've driven were on 20s) plus they are ridiculously vulnerable with zero kerb protection.  Ask Smudge how many refurbs he's had!

Sport Exhaust is essential imo - however, another solution is a non Dynamic Park car with a Milltek.  Losing the 20s + dynamic steering is no bad thing imo.  And the standard suspension (non DRC) is really good too

B&O absolutely essential

Likewise, sat nav wasn't standard on the early cars.  Initially there were two systems:  DVD based / HDD 3G.  DVD was dropped around 2013 2014, sothe facelift RS5 possibly only came with the HDD?  But if going for an early car, you definitely want the HDD 3G, the DVD-based is essentially a built in RNSE and feels ancient!

Rarer options are the bucket seats and ceramics.  Heated seats were optional....... but the buckets have them bundled in

Buckets rob what little rear leg room you have...... however, they do look and feel awesome, and are great for someone our frame!  And you could argue they make more sense in the RS5 than RS4.  The standard Super Sports are bloody good though - and for this reason far fewer B8s have buckets compared with B7s

Active cruise / braking guard is good for a commuter, town driving, motorways and dual carriageways, but probably less important (irrelevant) for your neck of the woods!

Message Fatcat, he used to have one!

Launch PDF:

http://www.passionwithoutlimits.com/uploads/files/brochure-audi-rs5.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't worry guys. Fast forward 20 years and I'll still have a nearly new V8 in the garage you can all come round to hear. 

I took a pic of the odometer in July last year, prob for the mpg for MrMe, and checked to see how many miles it had done since then. 160. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're going to need to keep that car for 50 years to recover the bloody depreciation per mile you're being hit with!  It might be worth a fair bit by then!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now