Bye bye coupe...hello soft top!

nick1972

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL. Should have bought one you loon!

you bought a convertible. May it rain frogs on you! Flush.gif

[ QUOTE ]

CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL, CSL. Should have bought one you loon!

you bought a convertible. May it rain frogs on you! Flush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

^

^

^

^

What he said.

How can you get a convertible over a CSL...*mumble*

I'd ignore it Nick, just bought an 04 Convertible M3 myself too. Replaced an 04 Coupe. Yes, I could have bought a CSL too - but the fact is you'd pull your teeth out driving one everyday. The market is saturated with CSL's - why - because a lot of owners are finding exactly what I've said above. I can get the kids in the M3 Convertible easier than a CSL too - and get all the kit to go with it - and get the sun - and still have a "just want to get there without trying too hard" day when I want to.

Personally, I think you did the right thing.

I should have added something - CSL is an amazing car, I don't question it - but there is a quandry here that I've noticed a lot of people on here don't seem to pick up on - I'll try to describe it below:

The Evo VII v M3 debate - it doesn't exist. If I want a car that is nothing other than sheer performance and will attract every Burberry cap wearing moron this side of Jupiter then I'll buy one. If I want a car with performance that still sends a shiver down your spine and can get you from A to B and then to Z (which the Evo won't) without shaking all my teeth out - then you choose an M3. The fact is VERY FEW people choose between the two - because the market is different. If you're buying an M3 new (or close to new, whichever) I don't think you seriously look at an Evo - and vice versa.

CSL v M3 is similar - I need a true everyday 4 seater coupe with performance - so I buy the M3. Joe meanwhile wants nothing but sheer performance and a track day car because he has a 320i as a company car too...so he buys the CSL. I just don't see the comparison as one versus the other when buying - they're for different people and different lifestyles.

RS6 v M3 - sorry, but this is a no content. I know - I had one. Yes it performed, yes it was fast - but certainly no quicker than the two M3's I've owned. But, more importantly, it lost more money, had half the impact of an M3 and frankly the Audi dealer experience is shocking.

Nothing has the badge and reputation, nothing has the combination of performance, style and build quality - not to mention reliability.

No argument I think.

Hi M3Changing, I couldn't have said it better myself. I happen to be in a great position where I can choose between several 40k+ cars, and having already owned a Subaru P1 I know exactly what you mean by your Burberry cap comment. So it leaves me with a couple of options M3 coupe (again!!) or an M3 soft top for once....to be quite honest the CSL was never a viable option..I just dont see the point of it. And I have to say in Imola red it looks fu@@ing amazing!

People starving and dieing of Aids in africa and we are debating the pros and cons of £45K cars!!!! Oh how lucky we all are. rafwings.gif

The one I've bought is Phoenix with Kiwi. I wouldn't have bought Coupe in this colour though - but the black hood breaks the Phoenix up enough for me to be able to live with it! I'd have quite liked Imola myself (my Coupe was Titanium with Imola interior) but was once warned never to buy another red car having crashed two of them...(whilst much younger)...they just don't seem to suit me!

Its true what you say about the reality-check of choosing £40k+ cars too. Surreal in fact. But, as a way of personal gratification and self-reward....it doesn't get better!

I've swapping to SMG...from manual. Big reason though - twice a week I get caught in very heavy traffic for around 2 hours....and the constant clutching kills.....so switching to auto for those times of the week has its attractions. Of the two (and I've had the SMG for a full weekend from the dealer) I think I've made the right choice for me. But, time will tell. I get bored every 6 months anyway so no doubt I'll be onto something else before long! Then again, wife will probably not let another swap go ahead...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Also - sorry to say this to any CSL owner (as I have said I do believe they're an amazing car and I love BMW's)...but...there are better cars out there for £50k+ new if you want out and out performance

[/ QUOTE ]

Name one then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree with Chris, and you can get a brand new CSL for less than £50k, got offered one for 45k without pushing to hard.. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Also - sorry to say this to any CSL owner (as I have said I do believe they're an amazing car and I love BMW's)...but...there are better cars out there for £50k+ new if you want out and out performance

[/ QUOTE ]

Name one then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't think of one either....

Nobel M12 at £48K... Is a pretty good car... Once you add some performance goodies i'm sure it would be about £55K...

But IMO the CSL is still the better package... Especially considering they can be had for less that £50 k.... I've seen Porsche Bosxter S speced up to about £45k... smashfreakB.gif

Somebody beat me to it (xspencex) - Noble - any variant.

I drove one at Croft not too long ago and frankly it drove a CSL into the ground.

I love my M3, I love the CSL - but if I were spending my money on a car for driving pleasure then it'd be the Noble every time.

Look at the chunks of money the CSL is losing already.

What about a Tuscan S if you want non-stop fun? (if coupled with a literal stop-start reliability!).

But, if you definately throw the kids in the back every now and again then you may as well go for an Evo VII if its pure thrills you're after. As I said before, this counters itself in saying that few M3 buyers would be looking at an Evo - but I genuinely think the CSL buyer is different to a standard M3 buyer anyway.

However, I save my genuine alternative buy for another German marque. No one has mentioned a second hand 911 GT3.

Myself, well, I'd spend £40-45k on a Noble or GT3 and then buy a second hand family car for £5-10k to haul the kids around in.

We're fortunate to have a new 320d SE Saloon too, but I still couldn't have used the CSL as a daily car - so call me a wimp but I stuck with the M3.

Next time, hmm, not sure, perhaps a 360 Modena.....dropping into the £55-65k bracket now (RHD too) and then I'll only want to be in it by myself anyway....

[ QUOTE ]

I drove one at Croft not too long ago and frankly it drove a CSL into the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Noble is strictly 2-seater; I know that a CSL with a few choice mods would whip the Noble on track, take 4 adults with luggage to the Nurburgring and whip the Noble there too. laugh.gif

Noble = kitcar and even if they were available where I live I wouldn't get one.

Do you get a 3 year/60,00 mile warranty with a Noble or a TVR?

GT3, very nice indeedy but I thought we were discussing new cars and not second-hand?

You haven't convinced me that there is better car for the money than the CSL yet. grin.gif