Nice letter

bells0

Received a letter from a solicitor today telling me that my wife has applied for a divorce and that i need to look into selling the house or buy her out.

3 months from the split to this.

Ouchy. Am gutted.

Anyone any ideas what the costs involved are in getting a solicitor to sort?

I don't want to let my emotions take over, because i know she is in the wrong. It'll save me £ in the long run and it seems from an email that she wants to do it all amicably.

frown.gif

Ouch -not a nice letter to receive frown.gif

Funnily enough I was speaking to someone at work about this the other day - serial marriage/divorce-er! - she was originally looking at about £2k (few years ago) but after it got complicated it ended up being over £5k! And for that they messed up the custody aspect of it. Hope it all goes well, chin up and all that.

Rich. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

my dad is on his 2nd divorce and he's mentioned today it's costing him about 2.5k per month and shes cost him a house and £330k so far. It seems she is being awkward....

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a uncle who's been divorced twice. It's cost him 2 very nice houses, a bmw and his pension!! The crazy thing is..the daft bugger is now engaged to be married again. Why?

crazy.gif

If it’s a straight forward divorce then solicitors costs should be around £1.5k.

As you have a property together things can get complicated and costly.

The good thing is your ex wants to keep things amicable so it should be straight forward.

Unless you can afford to buy her out, unfortunately the reality is that you might possibly have to sell up and split what equity there is 50-50 and start again. I am presuming that you brought the house together without one or other of you contributing more than the other at the start.

Luckily I was in a position where I could afford to buy out my ex’s half of the property and the solicitors fees were just under £500 all inclusive for transfer of equity, land registry, deeds etc.

Not a good situation to be in I know but you have to try and make the most of what is left and consider all the options available to you.

Good luck

[ QUOTE ]

Received a letter from a solicitor today telling me that my wife has applied for a divorce and that i need to look into selling the house or buy her out.

3 months from the split to this.

Ouchy. Am gutted.

Anyone any ideas what the costs involved are in getting a solicitor to sort?

I don't want to let my emotions take over, because i know she is in the wrong. It'll save me £ in the long run and it seems from an email that she wants to do it all amicably.

frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Will you make any money from the property? If you do, you should pay off any other debt from the proceeds and then split the difference 50:50. Unless you have grounds to argue the case (as in who's fault is the divorce, kids etc).

Hope it all goes smoothly anyway. Good luck!

My divorce was amicable and was a DIY job with a solicitor checking over the paperwork. All is then done by the court with no hassles.

If you guys can talk about whats what and how to split it and then instruct the legals that is by far the best methodology.

If it's the proverbial WW3 and mediation is required for the dog, cat, favourite furniture etc then your loose an arm and a leg.

Avoid contentious issues, be polite and provided both sides are prepared to haggle you will find that everything sails along and won't cost too much.

Consider

Investment splits- Savings, bank accounts, endowments, shares, bonds, (even pensions if she's being nasty)

Closure of mutual debt

House sale including legals, EA fees and any necessary repair prior to sale

Possessions

Just remember it's a two way street and if you give her an advantage over one subject, then it's fair that she should reciprocate over something else.

The key seems to be not to get over emotional and to look towards closure and a new life. If you can, try and be positive for both your sakes- you loved each other once.

Friends, even at arms length are better than enemies and we all know that "hell has no greater fury than a woman scorned".

Chin up and be positive, but flexible.

No kids and from what i can gather she just wants 50:50 of the profits from the house sale and half joint stuff purchased.

She moved in with me 5 1/2 years ago with nothing, but not sure i have much of a leg to stand on by trying to get a bigger share in my favour. Think to save wonga and my stress levels i will go with the friendly approach until it's all done and dusted.

Luckily a friend knows a very high up Lawyer who has agreed to meet with me next Friday to discuss everything - for free! 169144-ok.gif