What Next?

Cleybrooke

I used to like the scooby -but the new model looks pants, even if it is good value frown.gif

I have no regrets with the Ed30, but i see what you mean about having the same car again.

Ever thought of an RX8? although you may need as much oil as petrol.

Don't usually mention the F word, but the new focus RS may be a goer

good luck with the search

Depending on budget :-

ED30 - the same but a bit more bhp ?

R32 - same chassis + 4 wheel drive + could try DSG this time (there are some bargain finance deals on these at the moment)

http://www.vwbestbuys.co.uk/top-five-special-offers.html

TTS - if practical - (my choice 169144-ok.gif just a pity they don't put this higher tuned engine in the S3 with DSG crazy.gif)

New Scooby - if you don't mind the looks & boy racer attention smirk.gif

S3 - pricey, but good with a finance deal due to high residuals

New EVO X - pricey but a little less raw than the previous model

I've just seen the conformed details of it, if it is £25k you'd be as well going to the Evo. I hope the RS is going to be 4 wheel drive this time but have seen rumours thay are having problems fitting everything in. Would love to see a Cosworth back again soon.

[ QUOTE ]

I've just seen the conformed details of it, if it is £25k you'd be as well going to the Evo. I hope the RS is going to be 4 wheel drive this time but have seen rumours thay are having problems fitting everything in. Would love to see a Cosworth back again soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be surprised if that really is the problem with the RS.

From what I've read, it's more about price (vs R32/S3), profitability, timescales and a certain insistence that the power can be managed without (which may or may not be right, depends on likely power/torque and a few other things).

[ QUOTE ]

I went from a MKV GTI to a 335i coupe and haven't looked back. A 335i saloon can be had for under 30k new and has the tuning potential of 400+ bhp for as little as £400.

[/ QUOTE ]

i actually prefer the looks of the saloon.

under 30k sounds good to me but you would have to spec it after that would you not? that would drastically alter the price then no? confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Coming up for 3 years old in the summer - what to get next? Ed30?

Scooby (24k and 300 bhp that is quick)

A3 Cab

As some one else posted - why would you want to have the same again.

[/ QUOTE ].....Well why not?I am more than happy to go for the ED30... ROLLEY~14.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

...but nowhere near as beautiful as the coupe (IMO) 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed 169144-ok.gif. I changed my '05 laser blue GTI:

Picture209.jpg

for this about 5 months ago:

Picture023.jpg

Picture042.jpg

Picture043-1.jpg

The GTI was a cracking car. The 335i has the same qualities as the GTI (practicality, refinement, quality & performance) but each in larger amounts. Remaps/chips are becoming available for them now also. A 400 - 420 bhp remap/chip and quaife LSD can be had for a total of £1600 - these mods mean they can outrun an e92 M3 to 60 (4.2 ish seconds) and be close on the heels of a 997 turbo.

Discounts have been reduced lately, but it is still possible to find dealers that will give 10% off the car and options (for the saloon in particular).

[ QUOTE ]

(edit)...The 335i has the same qualities as the GTI (practicality, refinement, quality & performance) but each in larger amounts. Remaps/chips are becoming available for them now also. A 400 - 420 bhp remap/chip and quaife LSD can be had for a total of £1600 - these mods mean they can outrun an e92 M3 to 60 (4.2 ish seconds) and be close on the heels of a 997 turbo.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you put it like that, then that is hugely tempting if the budget allows of course.... 169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif

Yes - I bought it new with a 10% discount. Didn't bother with nav or automatic box, but leather and other goodies were on my list.

Interestingly, it is cheaper to insure than my GTI (£350) and same tax band (only for post September 07 / MY 08 cars - they introduced efficient dynamics onto MY 08 cars, bringing the 335i just into category F from G. I wouldn't touch a pre Sept 07 car, long term depreciation will be a killer!)

[ QUOTE ]

Out of curiousity, has anyone made this switch? Recommendations?

I am tempted with a 3 series coupe when it comes to switch time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, sort of. I had my Gti DSG for 2 years and I have just part-ex'd it for a BMW 330i M SPORT Touring. No money changed hands, I just pay £70 a month more now, for the BMW. (The Gti was on a 55 plate, the BMW is on a 56 plate).

My reasons for changing were that (1) Although I loved driving the Gti, I felt it was just starting to date (2) I do so many motorway miles now, I wanted more of a mile-muncher, but a quick good handling car (3) I needed a slightly bigger car.

Have to say, the DSG gearbox and exhaust 'barp' apart, the BMW is, I think, a better car in every department, including B roads. The Gti is more nimble, but the BM has masses more grip and poise in my opinion. But the most noticeable factor is the sheer grunt and extra class behind the wheel.

Don't get me wrong I thought the GTI was an absolutely wonderful car and pound for pound I'd go so far as to say the best car available, but perhaps its age, (cue gags) I'd had enough of hot hatches. I suspect the next car I buy for entirely enthusiastic reasons, I'll go down the small sports car route - a Boxter or something.

[ QUOTE ]

As a performance / drivers car though I reckon that 1Series will take some beathing. I just wish it was a bit more pretty. Front and side is quite nice but the rear lets it down big time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree; performance-wise, its superb for the money. Great build quality too, but the looks are subjective. Personally I really like it, but 3 doors just too impractical for me. 169144-ok.gif