RNS-E retrofit service

I know that there are a few people on the board who offer an RNS-E retro-fit service; does anyone offer this service in the south east, or even better on the south coast ? I'd like to fit it to my A4, but definitely do not have the ablility to do it myself grin.gif

Also, a quick supplementary question: Our A3 'Special Edition' (for which read discounted base model with A/C tongue.gif) is fitted with the optional concert stereo, which is double din, but not with climate control. Having quickly scanned the brochure, it appears that you can't order the DVD sat-nav unless you order climate control. Does this also mean that it wouldn't be possible to retro-fit it, or is it just a way for Audi to make you spend more confused.gif

Thanks

Peter

I'm happy to help install where people buy the parts (I'll advise on what to buy), but I don't get into single to double DIN conversions!

On the A3 if the double DIN Concert II+ fits then the RNS-E will fit!

The A3 will need the extra parts to cure the antenna fault code (the antenna system on the II+ radios is different to that for the RNS-E).

If the A4 also has a II+ radio that will need those parts as well, if not it will need a wiring and antenna adapter since the older radios use different connectors to the RNS-E.

The retrofit on both cars should take less than an hour each - provided the A4 is double DIN!

Drop me a PM if interested - I'm in Southampton.

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Simply plug and play (with a little wire swapping and recoding to see directions / info in the DIS).

[/ QUOTE ]

With a II+ radio in an A4 you have to move the diagnostic (K-line) wire, and if you have Bose the Bose pin as well.

That will leave the antenna fault codes showing and poorer radio reception on both AM and FM - because the antenna diversity is no longer working!

The RNS-E needs an HF input and a ZF input, but the new II+ radios have two HF inputs. So if you want to restore the diversity antenna working you need a module from a Golf (and the wires to connect it up). The module converts the two HF connections into the HF and ZF that the RNS-E needs.

So you can just plug'n'play - if you don't mind worse radio reception... 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

With a II+ radio in an A4 you have to move the diagnostic (K-line) wire, and if you have Bose the Bose pin as well.

That will leave the antenna fault codes showing and poorer radio reception on both AM and FM - because the antenna diversity is no longer working!

The RNS-E needs an HF input and a ZF input, but the new II+ radios have two HF inputs. So if you want to restore the diversity antenna working you need a module from a Golf (and the wires to connect it up). The module converts the two HF connections into the HF and ZF that the RNS-E needs.

So you can just plug'n'play - if you don't mind worse radio reception... 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do these faults actually show up anywhere other than when you use a VAGCOM?

I simply swapped the RNS-E for the Concert II I had (2007 Cab) and have seen no faults or had reception problems at all?

(I moved the K-Line and the BOSE wire too)

Would it significantly change the reception? I really have no issues with it now?

Thanks

[ QUOTE ]

Do these faults actually show up anywhere other than when you use a VAGCOM?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends where you live and drive to.

If you live in an area with good radio coverage then you may not notice the worse reception, but if you have weak signals then you will notice it.

For example, driving up the M3 from Southampton the local FM stations will disappear around Winchester instead of being usable as far as Basingstoke.

And if you live in the Lake District, mid or north Wales or Scotland you could find you have recpetion problems most of the time.

[ QUOTE ]

Never had an issue with the retro fitted RNS-E and reception.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said ...

[ QUOTE ]

It depends where you live and drive to

[/ QUOTE ]

You live and drive in a heavily populated area where broadcasters make sure radio signals are strong, those who live in other areas may not be so "lucky" (good radio signals but heavy traffic...)!