New 335i/d tourer, advice required

a3malawimatt

Hello There,

Have decided to sell my a3 and buy something a but more grown up and practical. Top of my list is the 3 series tourer. I have decided to go for a 6 month old high spec 335i/d.

Today i went over to Carrs BMW in Buy St Edmunds, very helpful i must say and none of the arogance of Coopers.

I arranged to drive both engines back to back. The 335i was in convertible form and the 335d was in Tourer form.

335i Cab

Awful. I honestly thought i would be blown away by this car but it was a massive disapointment. It was so twitchy and horrible to drive.

335d Tourer

Amazing, i had a huge grin on my face using all that torque. It pulled like a train, gripped the rd and felt solid as a rock.

Thing i am worried about it if it had been the other way round, i.e. tourer in 335i form, would i have had a better experience and be sitting her thinking i really don't know which one to go for instead of yep thats the one?

Any advice would be appreciated. Also does anyone know of a site or indeed have a list of changes to the standard spec over the life of the new shape 3 series msports?

Thanks in advance

Matt

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Hello There,

335i Cab

Awful. I honestly thought i would be blown away by this car but it was a massive disapointment. It was so twitchy and horrible to drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly something to do with CoG issues???

Not driven either TBH but can't help thinking that there must be some compromise on the handling front from having such a large hunk of shifting mass - even if the roof is up, there must be some compromise in the settings to allow for when it's down and that might be the problem you had.

Probably worth going to another dealer and trying out a 335i in another form - I can't believe that it would be so much worse than the d.

I took a 335i cab and 335d coupe out - I ended up buying a 335i coupe.

The cab did feel horrible - lots of scuttle shake, when combined with the twitchiness of the rft's it was not fun at all. The extra weight of the cab stiffled the performance of the 335i also. All in all the car did not inspire moderate to high speed driving.

Take an e90, e91 or e92 335i out. A far better comparison. BTW - Part of the reason I got the 335i is the manual box. Makes the car really involving compared to the soulless 335d engine & auto combo.

thanks for your oppinions guys.

Problem with the 335i is being at the mercy of Mr Brown Et Al. Petrol is getting silly money now, plus it is in tax band g. In a years time if they decide to whack it up to ridiculous money and congestion charging gets introduced in more citys it is gonna know the residual sideways!

I will however try and get a drive in a 335i, problem is i don't want to deal with coopers norwich so will have a long drive to get in one.

On a side note have been talking to RobK about buying his 335i tourer, which used to be Guys (Gizzes) damn thats a nice spec car!

Matt

Which wheels did each car have? I was lead to believe that the convertible had a slighly softer setup due to the lower rigidity of the car?

I have to say (very biased having a 335d coupe), that even if you dont do big miles, the 335d isnt a "lesser choice" over a 335i (any shape). In the real world there is nothing betweem them, and 40mpg is perfectly achievable outside of stop start city traffic.

If your spending this sort of money, you really should drive a 335i Touring, to compare to the 335d touring, because nobody in their right mind would describe the 335i as 'Awful'.

Also make sure you do your FULL COST OF OWNERSHIP sums between a 335i and 335d, not just the difference in fuel bill, which as you know is only part of the equation.

I've gone for a 330i because I prefer the petrol, it sounds better at full chat, (that distinctive BMW 6 cylinder raw)it creaps in at 224g, one below Red Kens category for the £25 CC and in real world terms its an effing quick car.

The amount I have saved over the 335D in terms of initial cost would take me about 10 years to recoup in lower diesel costs even at 20K miles a year. Lower fuel costs can be a complete red herring.

Basically its as simple as buy a petrol cheaper and sell it cheaper or buy a diesel car which will be dearer and will be worth more than the petrol at resale. Fuel costs need to be factored in but for most people its not all that simple an equation. When I bought my 325i Touring it was probably 6 grand or so less than a 330d Touring the same dealership had. Whether in 2 or 3 years my car is still worth 6 grand less than the diesel or a lower or higher figure remains to be seen but as prices get lower and depreciation flattens out I expect the difference in values to be perhaps 4 grand therefore my cost to own the petrol car has been 2 grand less than the diesel. Never in 2 years would the fuel saving in a diesel make up for this. However everyones perception is that the diesel is so much cheaper to run and they seem to almost buy a deisel by default.

Wo guys, i am not actually bothered by the mpg. I do 8000 miles a year which is not worthy of worrying about. The 335i was awful in the convertible. I am sure it is much better in tourer/saloon/coupe. Thing is i am used to a diesel and in real world driving found the tourque of the diesel so much more accesible then the high revving petrol. I am however going to try and get a drive in a 335i in different model and also in a manual.

Matt

[ QUOTE ]

Hello There,

Have decided to sell my a3 and buy something a but more grown up and practical. Top of my list is the 3 series tourer. I have decided to go for a 6 month old high spec 335i/d.

Today i went over to Carrs BMW in Buy St Edmunds, very helpful i must say and none of the arogance of Coopers.

I arranged to drive both engines back to back. The 335i was in convertible form and the 335d was in Tourer form.

335i Cab

335d Tourer

Amazing, i had a huge grin on my face using all that torque. It pulled like a train, gripped the rd and felt solid as a rock.

Thing i am worried about it if it had been the other way round, i.e. tourer in 335i form, would i have had a better experience and be sitting her thinking i really don't know which one to go for instead of yep thats the one?

Any advice would be appreciated. Also does anyone know of a site or indeed have a list of changes to the standard spec over the life of the new shape 3 series msports?

Thanks in advance

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly, norwich are money grabbing ******, Carrs will not offer you a really good deal, try Ipswich or Kings Lynn.

I would opt for the 335D Sport, really quick and cheap to run. 169144-ok.gif

I went to Chelmsford to try one.

I had put a deposit down on a 335d sport touring and then decided at the last minute I should try the petrol too, went to Chelmsford and took both out back to back, albeit in coupe form, and ended up swapping the d for the i.

Would be happy with either, but you need to drive the 335i and not in cab form, it is horrible to drive and feels slower than the 335d in coupe form.

Make sure you take the petrol out properly though, and I mean taking it round some twisty roads and not dropping it below 4,000rpm. This is a twin turbo remember and is not really lacking in torque, when you get it to sing it really is a bit special.

If I were buying again I would have no problem getting the 335d, but the 335i is a awesome, and once remapped it is incredible. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers Golfer, at a loss as to where i am gonna drive one of these 335i's without having to travel 45miles plus! Suppose its a case of just doing it in case i regret it.

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

The 335i is very, very hard work to sell on as people are so set (brain washed?!) to only have diesel now. The 335d is a far safer buy and I think you'll be very happy with that.

You should try the engine in a 5, 3 or X series and it will give you a good idea of what to expect in the 335d configuration.

Hope that helps?

Gareth 169144-ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, still not sorted this out. Mainly because i have a firm budget of £35k and i want a high spec, low mileage, nearly new 335d tourer m sport.

My dealer has found one but it is £35850 and even though i have no px he will not budge on price to meet my £35k budget. Which is slightly disapointing, never known a dealer not to be able to move £1k on a £36k car but then they may be hoping that due to the hardness of obtaining a 335d in the spec i want i will cave in, but i can't.

Anyway question is, do you think it would be financial suicide to plump for a 335i 57 plate with 3k miles with all the toys for 2k less? i change my car every 1.5 - 2years, anyone like to guess at what sort of depreciation i would be looking at? Car will have sat nav, bluetooth, leather etc etc. I know its a bit of a crystal ball question but you opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Matt

Go For it, If your not doing big miles, I would ring the other (335D) garage and tell them you no longer want there car and you have found another one, don't give much detail!!!, tomorrow the 335D garage will be on the phone for your business. wink.gif

For 18 months I'd suggest you take 30% off the purchase price as a deprecation 'stake in the ground'.

Might save 5% due to the toys in the car. Funny thing is that everyone considers the toys as essential and then the trade writes them down to 50% of value after a year.

So a £36k car with £5k of extras after a year would be something like:-

£31k less 20% deprecation 1st year £25k

£5k extras less 50% 1st year £2.5k