Best tyre size E46 M3

Donaldtramp

Just about to replace the continentals on my E46 M3. In my opinion they have been interesting to say the least in the cold weather. They seem a bit hard. From all I've read up it's got to be Mich PS2s. But what size?

Just wanting to hear some views.

should I stick with the 235 front 255 back standard?

What difference will 235/245 front and 255/265/275 rear make,?

Just wanting to hear what combination others use and what's best? Does it make that much difference?

Cheers

DT

I know it would look good!! But how would it make the car handle if I put a combination of say 245 front and 255 back(to just pick a combinationout of the many)?

I'd prefer to go bigger as I'm going to re-do the alloys as well. I reckon bigger tyres will protect the alloys better. Rather than sloping in from the alloy face, they will go closer to vertical, from the alloy face to the road. At least thats what I reckon.

Is 235 front and 255 back the recomended BMW spec?

225 front and 255 are standard, I have 235 and 265 on my CSL and they're fine....I could have went wider but I'm happy enough with what I have.

Bear in mind the CSL wheels are slightly wider, so 245 and 275 might be a bit too much for standard M3 rims? Not sure to be honest.....it might play havoc with DSC.

I am currently running 245/275 PS2's (tomorrow I finally get the dealer to stick on a fee set of cups!). On the road and in the wet they are very good, but on track they go soft and roll under serious turning pressure. Im sure i would be better off on the stock sizes. I also don think the car is as good at going sideways on these sizes. Its not that its harder to get the back out, its not, its just it feels a little twitchier. the actual profile is higher and there is more roll. I think my suggestion is stick with stock, or go with cups which also looks the best 169144-ok.gif

Well I tend to think that the manufacturer knows best, so would stick with the standard sizes.

That's what I used on my M3 (I had Continentals) but now have Michelin PS2s on the Porsche which are pretty good, even in cold, damp weather.

I have heard that you can go 10mm bigger without causing any problems.

beerchug.gif

Sidicks

My car has 235/255 combination at the moment. In warm weather it was fine on the continentals. I'll probably stick with that combination. I think I have to get these Continentals off. A boy from my work has a Subaru and he was laughing his face off at me trying to get the car round corners as we headed home from work in the cold.

You will notice though that even though he was laughing at the back end stepping out, he was still, behind me! buttcheeks.gif

Think I'll just need to be real careful when I get the alloys done. (not to try to protect them with larger tyres)

How long till I kerb them??? Bets anyone?

[ QUOTE ]

A boy from my work has a Subaru and he was laughing his face off at me trying to get the car round corners as we headed home from work in the cold.

You will notice though that even though he was laughing at the back end stepping out, he was still, behind me! buttcheeks.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems to me he was just showing "common sense" in the RS4 i'd have passed you and been home for tea. coffee.gif