I'd like a new camera please..

Arch

...but I'm sooooo confused. confused.gif

We're off to Alaska in September and, as I don't think we'll be going too often, I want to make sure I get the best images I can out of this trip.

My current cameras are an old Powershot G2 and an Olympus mju410, both 4.0mp compacts and quite long in the tooth now. I also have a 7yr old EOS SLR which hardly tends to come out as I'm a bit too lazy for film. blush.gif These days I end up using my phone more and more and whilst handy for quick snaps, it can't beat the image of a 'proper' camera.

I'd had my heart set on a DLSR and had been following the various threads on here and was going to wait for the 450D. Now, concern is creeping in to my head that it will be an awful lot of money (by the time I factor in a good lense too) that may be overkill for my skills/knowledge. I'm now back to looking at good compacts and have stumbled across the Leica D-lux and V-lux models. Less costly than a DLSR, although still very pricey in the compact world, I'm wondering if these would be a good choice, esp the v-lux with the 12x optical zoom?

Or, should I just go with something highly rated but more mainstream like a Powershot G9 at around the £280 mark. A long way off from the original 450D idea!

I'd like to get creative but at the end of the day I reckon 90% of the shots I take will be point & shoot. Any advice most gratefully received. grin.gif

Well ... its hard to know what to aim at to be honest. I've just got a new dSLR as you have probably read and its great but its not good to carry around and use as a simple point and shoot if thats what you want.

I guess you need to decide on if you want a compact, something in between such as those with the 12x zoom or the ability to use different lenses and get a full on SLR.

From what your saying if 90% is going to be point and shoot then a good compact that you can put in your pocket is probably the answer. 169144-ok.gif

I rate the Fuji's very highly for a compact my F30 is great and they have just announce a new model that might be worth a look.

Don't bother with the Leica compacts, the D-Lux 3 is OK for bright scenes but over 200iso it is a mess.

The V-Lux uses the same sensor so is no better, and nearly as big as a Canon SLR.

Have a look at the olympus E410, very small for a an SLR.

The G9 is worth a look too if you want a compact, but again not great at higher isos.

I would also look at the new Sigma DP1, getting good write ups.

Oh, I forgot to say, it will be over £500.

However as it uses an SLR sensor, which is around 8-12 times the size of a normal compact sensor, which allows alot more light and a lot less noise.

Should be superb, the few shots floating around from it so far are very impressive.

I guess I'm looking for the same thing as Arch really - in my case for trogging up a hill or Alps every couple of weeks rather than a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Alaska, but same principle - I want to capture those special views with something more than a bog standard compact, but not sure a dSLR is right for my limited talents or for carrying about.

I'm thinking of those rare times when the conditions are just perfect and you've made it up to a summit just as the sun shines down on a cloud inversion, or you're looking down at a valley speckled with cloud shadows and looking outstandingly huge and 3D and you want to capture all of it; but there's always another perfect view just round the corner and another few miles to walk. Thinking about it, I just won't have time to experiment with multiple settings, or keep going back to the same conditions to get it right. And wide angle will be fairly key too.

I asked before and got the same answer re. Olympus so have been looking at that (thanks) but what do you think of the Sigma above vs. Ricoh GX100 for this sort of thing? From reading around it seems to come down to cracking 24mm lens but small sensor and noise with the GX100, vs. 28 mm and fabulous sensor with the Sigma. I don't mind the price difference really, I just want the right thing.

Practical details like replaceable (AAA) batteries on the Ricoh might influence me though, for outdoors use on 9 hour walks.

Any advice ? beerchug.gif Sorry to hijack thread, Arch, but we're looking for the same thing I think so should be useful to you too

I had your regular compact camer which was fine for taking every day snaps - but wanted something with a bigger zoom. I wondered about a DSLR but wondered if most of the time it would be overkill for the type of pictures I take, and certainly overkill for my budget.

In the end I bought a Sony DSC-H7. It's an 8 megapixel camera with 15x optical zoom. I got it for £157 inc delivery from Laskys.com just before Christmas - it takes much better pictures than I'm used to, is easy to use and at that price I'm not paranoid about taking it out and about.

The Sigma is a fixed 28mm on a 1.5x crop sensor, so 42mm in the real camera world, this is about perfect for 90% of pictures.

It is really designed for professionals as a street camera that is always there and has the quality to be able to use it professionally.

If you want a zoom then really you need an SLR, however, remember that having 14mega pixels and a large sensor, you can crop the image very tight, so it will give you a nice 1224x768 image that is clearer than say a Leica compact with a 24-50 zoom, so less noise and more detail at the same given size.

The only problem with that Sigma is the fact it is an F/4.0 lens, it could have really done with being f/2.8 or even f/2.0. I would pay £1000 for an f/2.0 version, would be the ideal everyday camera.

What I mean is this, have a look at this image....

http://gallery.photographyreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=83104&size=big&cat=&si=sd14

Now that is cropped 50%, so you could have zoomed in 200% and taken out the area you wanted to use as a pic and got the same quality.

I have taken another crop from that pic using only 25% of the area, so we now have a 400% zoom, giving this result......

1303586-400_percent.jpg

Now that is taken at high iso and is pretty much as noisy as it will get, so as long as you don't want to make massive images you should be fine, you have the equivalent of a 200mm zoom there, something like the Leica would only have half the pixels to play with and so although the zoom is 50mm it would allow you to get in as close.

post-4150-13791441281_thumb.jpg

Wow, cheers again Gizze, that gives things a new perspective. To be honest, I really like the sound of the Sigma and, if i'm perfectly honest, I know i can't really be bothered with all the kerfuffle that goes with an SLR. I want to just take a good picture, not fiddle about with a plethora of settings and contemplate which lens I need for this and which for that..

Yes, I've admitted it, I'm just a plain old point and shooter. grin.gif

I want it in a pocket or a backpack, ready to shoot and go. Decision almost made once I get to have a look at one. 169144-ok.gif

Leica M8 and a 35mm F2 Asph lens.

Small, seriously good images, looks like a £50 point and shoot camera so you can get away with uisng it just about anywhere and takes arguably the nicest images of any digital out there.

Just the £5000 asking price that puts a spanner in the works! frown.gif

Great shots but isn't it a bit of a one trick pony. Great if you want to carry around a 28mm lens thats also not that fast but if you want to be able to zoom in you can't. Yes I know you can crop but if your using a high ISO then thats not going to work so well is it. smirk.gif

Yeah it is a one trick pony, but then I have never used the zoom on any point and shoot anyway.

But I agree, they should bring out a version with either a nice f2.0 lens or even better one that takes M mount lenses.

If you could buy a nice Leica Summilux 35mm f/1.4 or a Voightlander Nocton it would be the perfect street camera.