Codable Key Cabinet in the house, extreme?

Nelson_R32

Having read of the high number of Key Thefts in the last year (especially R32) I have been pondering the idea of the Codable key cabinet. Similar to what Car Dealers use for there Dealer Stock.

I have found some small cabinets which can hold all the families car keys as well as mine 169144-ok.gif Around the £60.00 mark.

1305366-259736x.jpg

Good idea? Would you say I've completely lost my mind? UHOH7.GIF

post-12508-137914412866_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't say you've lost your mind at all. We live in a lawless country now after 10+ years of soft touch sentencing. There is no deterrent. BUT...

what if you're in the house, sleeping upstairs or whatever, the loonies might decide that you could just open it for them, with the correct persuasion?

Not an easy answer to that one I don't think

confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

grin.gif My personal opinion is that if someone is prepared to break into my house to steal my car keys I'd rather he found them on the table in the hallway and buggered off, than having to wake me up to 'persuade me' to open my keysafe... 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. Let the b4stards take the keys without harming you and family.

Hmmmm - prob best to beef up getting into your house Nelson, decent security doors that can not be forced easily and windows that take some effort to break. once inside as others say it is hard to fight off scum bags in numbers in your PJ's and caught unaware. Not worth the risk unless you have a shotgun!!! AND don't forget Tony Martin is still in jail IIRC?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

AND don't forget Tony Martin is still in jail IIRC?

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif he was released in 2003 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And IIRC he had issued threats to kill them if they came back and shot them in the back.

To be honest Nelson, if they want it they will take it. It's their "job" but they will use any means possible to make the boss happy frown.gif. Unfortunately in this day and age they more often than not get away with it. The car is insured and can be replaced, you can't.

I wouldn't bother with a key safe to be honest, not worth the potential scenarios. I completely understand your thinking but don't think it's going to worth pursuing.

Enjoy the motor mate laugh.gif

Jon.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Thief: Where's the Keys Sucka?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I expect Mr. T to come and take my R32 you understand... tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yelrotflmao.gif Exactly what I thought! I was conjouring up a post about keeping your keys in the cupboard next to a multipack of Snickers to keep Mr T distracted while you clobbered him with something..but I'll stop.

[ QUOTE ]

Put a exploding keyring on the end...... like them old ones where u whistle and it beeps..... bang.. blows the robbers arm off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great until you're driving along and "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life" comes on the radio... coffee.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Having read of the high number of Key Thefts in the last year (especially R32) I have been pondering the idea of the Codable key cabinet. Similar to what Car Dealers use for there Dealer Stock.

I have found some small cabinets which can hold all the families car keys as well as mine 169144-ok.gif Around the £60.00 mark.

1305366-259736x.jpg

Good idea? Would you say I've completely lost my mind? UHOH7.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem here is: If someone were to break into your home, armed with a knife or gun - the last thing you would want to be doing is looking at either of those weapons, whilst trying to remember your key code! Considering that, you may also have family at home - so it's a bit of a dangerous game to play.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Put a exploding keyring on the end...... like them old ones where u whistle and it beeps..... bang.. blows the robbers arm off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great until you're driving along and "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life" comes on the radio... coffee.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.gifjump.gif

[ QUOTE ]

A tougher front door is the answer. Oh, and if you're really concerned, buy a Vectra Diesel, no-one's gonna break in for the keys then....

[/ QUOTE ]

A bit extreme surely.

I'm with the others on this Neil. Our keys are out of sight but i'm sure would be quickly found by anybody after them. Spare keys are kept somewhere else and unlikely to be found easily