EVO magazine full review of the GT-R

In January, EVO did a 'first drive' type review of the GT-R and gave it 4 1/2 stars. One or two minor aspects the reviewer wasn't sure about, which would only likely be resolved with a proper review against its most fearsome rivals.

Well, now it's here. April edition of EVO landed on my mat yesterday morning. So do they put it up against an M3? Nah. Nothing so mundane. They test the GT-R against a Corvette Z06 on the drag strip (it matches the 'Vette all the way), an Audi R8 on the road (the R8 feels 'soft' by comparison), and a Porsche 997 GT3 on the track (the GT-R is quicker). It at least matches them all - and earns the coveted EVO five stars.

(A few months ago EVO re-calibrated their star awards to make 5 stars an indication of a truly great car. Haven't counted, but since then I'd guess they've awarded the full five to only a dozen or so cars - including the R8, 997 GT3 and Nissan GT-R.)

The article is a brilliant read, and gives a genuine feel for what Nissan have achieved with this car.

EVO also report that the GT-R will be officially launched in the UK in March 2009, is likely to cost £58-62k, we'll get 400 in the first year and 500 a year after that, and there's talk of an even quicker, stripped out V-Spec. EEK2.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

(A few months ago EVO re-calibrated their star awards to make 5 stars an indication of a truly great car. Haven't counted, but since then I'd guess they've awarded the full five to only a dozen or so cars - including the R8, 997 GT3 and Nissan GT-R.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm on my second 5* car. grin.gif